Why become a member? ×

German ply 3/4 Double Bass for sale - *SOLD!*

[attachment=128649:front.JPG] [size=6][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]For Sale - German ply 3/4 bass - £500[/b][/font][/size]

[color=#2A2A2A][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here's my German made ply 3/4 size double bass. I bought it for £700 second-hand in 2000 and it has accompanied on many musical adventures since then! I'm sad to sell, [/font][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]but regrettably she has to go to fund a more extravagant replacement.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#2A2A2A][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There's a few cosmetic knocks due to a lot of use and mileage. I've tried to show these in the pictures. It does however, sound as good as it did when I got it and has proved to be very robust and reliable. For what it is and for its value it's a decent enough instrument. I believe the asking price fairly reflects these cosmetic knocks.[/font][/color]

[color=#2A2A2A][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It has an adjustable bridge and the action is set fairly low to play jazz etc. the bass is easy to play and has a set of Thomastik Spirocore Mittels on.[/font][/color]

[color=#2A2A2A][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I hope the attached pictures give a good idea of what it's like - If you're interested I do have more, so please feel free to ask. Also if you want to come and try it out that would also be cool. :)[/font][/color]

[color=#2A2A2A][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All the best,[/font][/color]

[color=#2A2A2A][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Shaun[/font][/color]

Just swapped to my galaxy tab rather than my phone and I can see now, if you read my thread about looking at basses you will see my dilema, I really don't know what to go for and what to sell on to fund one, if the possible sale of my pre eb goes ahead soon I will be able to spend a bit more, if it doesn't I might sell my jazz instead. I will have to see what happens in the next few days :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362000152' post='1994384']I really don't know what to go for ...[/quote]

Are you close enough to try it out? It's best to try it to see it it "fits" you. I tried about 7 basses when I was looking, some expensive, and the one I settled on was one that was the most comfortable in my left hand. It turned out to be cheap too :)

Generally speaking, there are several differently shaped neck profiles... D, C, V etc... I focused more on getting the right fit and left it to the luthier to make it sound good.

Depends how far button moon is from Sheffield Pete. ;) I agree with what TPJ said. It's wise to try out a few to see which one 'speaks' to you. I tried out loads before settled on the one I just got. If you want to come and try it out just let me know and I'd be happy to offer any help and advice anyway.

Cheers,

Shaun

Hi Shaun

Could I come and see it? I've just started having jazz double bass lessons and would like to buy one but am a bit ignorant about what to look for. I'm trying to get more informed but I think you're right that it must be about trying them out.

And I'm in Sheffield!

Regards
Kate

Yeah Kate you're welcome to come and try it. Just message me to arrange a time that suits. Let's see if we can help you get nearer to finding something you want. I'm happy to advise and help in any case. :)

Ok Pete no worries I'll keep you posted on progress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

cheap antoni for 300 quid its half size has inovation strings used for rockabilly with gig bag and bow if needed sounds great plugged in im at manchester if your interested my tel no is 07802410222 i play a 3/4 and ive gigged this one for sale its about 4 inch smaller in height than mine just pulled the spike out and away i went so theres not a massive difference from half to 3/4

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Dude,

I'm going to get my teacher to have a look because I've no idea about these beasts! I'll be in touch over the next couple of days with a progress update.

(Is there a case with this?)

a warm handshake,

Paul

Hi Paul,

No problem mate. If you want to come and check it out or put your teacher in touch with me feel free and I'll happily answer any questions you have. There is a very worn soft case with it that doesn't have any padding. It's certainly not the greatest case but it's better than nothing!

All the best,

Shaun

Cheers Shaun, I emailed you last night but not sure if you got it? Would be very interested in seeing this at the weekend but if you have a number maybe my teacher could speak to you for details - if he gives it the thumbs up I'd probably buy it and could get my Dad to pick it up on Saturday.

Cheers,
Paul

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1366974404' post='2059659']
I'm still trying to figure out whether this would fit into my small hatchback. Am assuming not :-(
[/quote]

A 3/4 bass will go in almost anything. When I got my first bass it was delivered by a guy driving a Pug 306, and he had another 3/4 bass in there too!