Why become a member? ×

Marketplace Subscriptions

Hamster

Hi Sharkfinger

There were a few limitations to how we structured the pricing. Here are a few points:

- Policing at different price points would be complicated (to ensure people don't under-value to circumvent (hard enough at the moment!))
- We thought that most people listing something negatively effected by the higher cost to asking price ration would probably have other gear to sell rather than sign up to just shift one pedal, for example, for the most part
- Pricing is encouraging people to take advantage of the site by sticking around and listing other items (even non-bass gear)
- Cost of having a % of asking price based system was prohibitive at the beginning

We may well adjust this in the future, but after talking to the guys at Talkbass, who only have a $20 a year option, anything less than that becomes a rod for your own back in many ways as we'd have to check or possibly review each post to ensure listings are realistic.

Oh and Kev, no, they will be hidden like the other forums.. think one of the mods was having a play

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1363442059' post='2012768']
Thanks for the reply. Thought it would be something along those lines. Makes sense.
[/quote]

No probs; we really wanted to have a 'free' option, so I guess things will evolve as we start saving some money to work on the site.

Cheers
ped

1. The site is less user friendly now, than it was when I joined in 2009, the only useful addition being the Upright Bass thread. What is there to change?
2. I can see many sellers opting for gumtree, preloved, youtube, strat talk, music radar etc taking pedals, accessories & beginner instruments out of the community.
3. I think this won't be a problem for dealers and there will be less 'value for money'' basses available - only advantage being, a less crowded marketplace. Welcome Andy Baxter and those present already.
4. A lot of those who join, like me, are referred to the site to sell if they accidentally came into possession of something collectable - upon first impression I would have left and never come back.
5. When I was actively playing bass, I spent 70% of my time on the site in the Marketplace trading/selling & px'ing toys
6. I have never sold anything on the 'Other Musically Related Equipment' section and will now avoid it completely

[size=4]Just my two cents, I feel others will be annoyed but too diplomatic to say so. I will still occasionally use the site to recommend luthiers & equipment or review gigs etc. Players (especially younger or hard up) shouldn't be alienated just because they're not a die hard BC'er (we are gear geeks, no two ways about it). I also think the sale of any items section is a completely irrelevant addition. [/size]

Edited by Schnozzalee

Fair enough I thought, when I was looking to sell something. Basschat is good, and deserves my financial support.

So, using PayPal I paid the annual subscription...

Only for it to be reimbursed about half an hour later....

What is this about? Was I just too quick to pay money before you were ready?

[quote name='grapevinebass' timestamp='1363812159' post='2018152']
Fair enough I thought, when I was looking to sell something. Basschat is good, and deserves my financial support.

[/quote]

Hi mate

Can you PM me the details please, I'll check it out!

Thanks
ped

[quote name='grapevinebass' timestamp='1363812159' post='2018152']

[/quote]

As I've said, I've never sold anything that isn't a bass on BC so it doesn't affect me; why would a 14 year old pay £7-£20 per year to list his Westfield and Behringer. The site's membership was built on the free marketplace. If i'm in the minority that's fine - I won't say anymore about it and leave it there.

[quote name='graham1945' timestamp='1362342970' post='1998734']
I'm staggered that only 4% of market place users make a donation, if Basschat wasn't here it'd be e bay, and don't get me started on that! £20 a year is fine by me - I'll save money!!
Graham
[/quote]
4%?? Blimey that's just astonishing, and disappointing to be honest. Having donated more than £20 over the last twelve months, this will save me some pennies too.

Wow I don't usually make the top 4% , in anything noteworthy anyway.

I've done a few tenners here and there when I've sold something , but if I stay on basschat , over the years £20 to buy and sell from the BC community is very fair.

I understand the views about an eBay based % system, but unless you only sell one item ever at just over £50, there really are no drawbacks I can see.

I might be wrong, but BC is not a democracy and can't be, but I think it's run by genuine people who wish to best serve the site users and not every decision can please everyone. Good work, thanks, I'm sticking around for sure.

Right now I'm off to sell a p bass, £49.99 for each string, tuner, pup, sadle and other part, must buy whole lot will not split.

Edited by lojo

Couldn't there be a section for say a fiver where you could place a 'feeler' advert? You know, where you can advertise a bass that you have no intention of selling otherwise i'm sure gonna miss those posts like 'not sure whether to let this beauty go' and 'i'm in no hurry to sell this'. :rolleyes:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1364233833' post='2023606']
Could there be a £5.00 surcharge if sellers want to write 'Never thought I'd sell this', 'Pride of my collection' or 'Plays like butter'.

And a savage kick to the bollocks if they write 'First to see will buy'.

Just trying to be constructive. :)
[/quote]
That's just the sort of constructive that i like. :D

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1363814720' post='2018207']
The site's membership was built on the free marketplace.
[/quote]

Odd comment that. Despite being very active on eBay at the time, I didn't come here (well, two predecessors ago anyway) for the "free marketplace" ... I saw that as a pleasant bonus, nothing more.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1364233833' post='2023606']
Could there be a £5.00 surcharge if sellers want to write 'Never thought I'd sell this', 'Pride of my collection' or 'Plays like butter'.
[/quote]

Yes! And a £5 fine for bloody window shoppers who write, 'if only I had the cash for this'... ...'If this had 4/5/6/7/8/12/21 strings I'd be all over it'... ...'why are all the things I want too far away?'... ...'I never thought I'd see you sell this, mate!'... ...'you can get these much cheaper at Argos'... ...'My arse hurts!... ...and so on and so forth. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364244186' post='2023799']
Yes! And a £5 fine for bloody window shoppers who write, 'if only I had the cash for this'... ...'If this had 4/5/6/7/8/12/21 strings I'd be all over it'... ...'why are all the things I want too far away?'... ...'I never thought I'd see you sell this, mate!'... ...'you can get these much cheaper at Argos'... ...'My arse hurts!... ...and so on and so forth. :)
[/quote]
I think you're too generous with a fiver. I'd make it at least £50. :unsure:

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1364283904' post='2024185']
Any way to update the Price Or Trade Value box when we decide on a price drop?
[/quote]

Nope, it's a fixed 'stamp' that not even the mods can change. :)

The best way of advertising a price drop is to put it in the header - that way it'll get the message across without people even having to click your ad. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1364315062' post='2024731']
Nope, it's a fixed 'stamp' that not even the mods can change. :)

The best way of advertising a price drop is to put it in the header - that way it'll get the message across without people even having to click your ad. :)
[/quote]

Ok ta

OK - so I wrote a description of a bass I would like to sell yesterday, added photos etc and clicked the post button fully prepared to be directed to the paypal site to pay my £20. I was indeed directed there but the system had put in a fixed amount of £40 that I could not edit. When I went back to the basschat site it listed the costings as free (up to £50), £7 if selling one item over £50 and £20 for unlimited selling. Then I noticed the £20 actually stated £20+.

So, the £20+ in my case was £40. That's a hell of a +.

Am I missing something?

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1364975763' post='2033406']
OK - so I wrote a description of a bass I would like to sell yesterday, added photos etc and clicked the post button fully prepared to be directed to the paypal site to pay my £20. I was indeed directed there but the system had put in a fixed amount of £40 that I could not edit. When I went back to the basschat site it listed the costings as free (up to £50), £7 if selling one item over £50 and £20 for unlimited selling. Then I noticed the £20 actually stated £20+.

So, the £20+ in my case was £40. That's a hell of a +.

Am I missing something?
[/quote]

That sounds like a bug, I'll make sure it's looked into

[size=4][quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1364975763' post='2033406']So, the £20+ in my case was £40. That's a hell of a +. Am I missing something?
[/quote][quote name='charic' timestamp='1364975945' post='2033411']That sounds like a bug, I'll make sure it's looked into[/quote][/size]
[size=4]Don't think it is a bug. If you select £20 in the drop-down menu you will ADD £20 to your total - the drop-down is for DONATIONS. The £20 subscription fee is a given. So if you DON'T select £20 you will be charged the sub ONLY, i.e. £20.[/size]

[size=4]So... If you DO select £20 in the drop-down you will ADD a £20 donation and the total will be £40. :)[/size]

It is not very clear. Initially I did the same thing, noticed I was paying £40 and went back to sort it.

Edited by discreet