Why become a member? ×

Richard Thompson – Electric

ShergoldSnickers

Got to listen to the new Richard Thompson CD over the weekend. Not every song was precisely my cup of tea, but there is no denying the bloke's talent in being able to write songs and lyrics, play guitar, and sing.

However, the recording is a bit strange. The quiet bits are pretty decent, but when it even remotely kicks off, it's all horribly compressed such that drum kits breathe, and a general mushiness descends on the sound. I can actually feel my ears tense up. It's as if it's been put through a mincer and a uniform goo without any real dynamics is the result. Shame. Double shame as they've gone to the trouble of advertising the use of analogue recording gear on the sleeve notes. What for? Whatever the reason I fear it's been wasted.

The standard of the material still shines through, but it could have been so much better sounding. :(

FWIW I don't think it is (your ears) either.

I first heard it 'round a mates, and assumed it was just his crappy "hi-fi", but I've listened to it on a couple of known quantities since (my home hi-fi, and through headphones on my Sansa Fuze) and it sounds a bit dull and lifeless to me.

Unless it's my ears too...

Richard Thompson is a funny artist - his acoustic stuff is awe inspiring, amazing and brilliant but I've always found his electric work to be, well a bit average really - I think maybe the acoustic guitar is a better medium for the way he plays.

I'm still trying to play 1952 VBL after ten years. Git. :)

A mate of mine's a big fan so he coerced me into going to see RT on the previous album's tour and I quite enjoyed both the gig and the album. Not heard the new one so can't comment on production I'm afraid. It has got some good reviews though. Don't think I'll have time to see him again in March.

I'm awaiting this from Amazon and have read this thread with a sense of disappointment. I've enjoyed a lot of RT's work and Buddy Miller's other productions so will reserve judgement until I have heard it.