Why become a member? ×

Markbass Black Line 250 head.

gary mac

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1365517738' post='2040585']
What are the different between the Markbass Backline 250 and the Markbass Little Mark 250? LM250 cost around £100 more.

I use to own the LM250 and it doesn't sound/look like a beginner's amp, it just lower wattage thats all.
[/quote]

Same amp and output, just made in Indonesia and a different colour. They have dropped the Italian made LM250 in yellow now.

Edited by yorks5stringer

I have been using Markbass exclusively for several years now. I recently bought the Blackline 250 mainly out of curiosity (and back-up which I don't really need!). In a head to head comparison with Little Mark 2 (500W) through a variety of MB cabs, I could not tell the difference in sound, there is obviously marginally less power and headroom between the 250watt Blackline amp and my 500watt models.

In conclusion the Blackline 250 is an absolute winner in it's class, at circa £250 they are great value and make that superb MB sound available to a wider market.

I don't see why there should be any problems with these amps just because they've been made in the Far East.

Nikon, Lenovo, PJB are all high quality goods made out there with no quality issues.

Any problems come when the parent company tries to cut costs even further by lowering QC.

I wouldn't assume that Markbass would do that.

Edited by chris_b

Markbass is reliable. I think i will save up and buy one. I really miss my old Little Mark 250. With £250 it is very cheap to have one. If the company don't cut on QC then it doesn't really matter where to assemble.

Apple iphone assemble in China as well ....... so i don't see a problem as long as the quality of QC is there.

Even some Squier bass made in Far East is in decent quality and play better then some MIM Fender in my opinion.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1365582442' post='2041226']
...I think I will buy one and could just use it as preamp for recording as well.[/quote]

For a while I used an LM250 as a pre-amp in front of a 1kW power amp and it worked very well.
Markbass say that any of their amps can be used as a pre - as long as the master level is kept at zero.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1365663479' post='2042421']
I decided against the Mark Bass in the end, not because of where it is made, (the TC amp is also made in China) but rather because I had read of problems with repairs/service etc with MB gear in recent times.
[/quote]

You clearly did not read about the recent recall on TC's then !

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1365679813' post='2042718']
You clearly did not read about the recent recall on TC's then !
[/quote]

I did read about it but just thought it was generally dealt with in a better fashion than MB.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking Mark Bass gear, I love my Mark Bass cabs.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1365680868' post='2042735']

I did read about it but just thought it was generally dealt with in a better fashion than MB.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking Mark Bass gear, I love my Mark Bass cabs.
[/quote]

TC definitely have the edge with service.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do a bit of demonstrating from time to time for Markbass/MSL (Though I don't work for them, so no axe to grind, and can be critical!! I met loads of Basschatters at the LBGS), and I have had the opportunity to do several comparisons with the Blackline v. italian kit.

For example, I lined up the players school 151 combo against my own CMD151p and found it difficult not to be impressed. It kept pace with tone all the way, and really does go bl**dy loud. It isn't an LM3, so of course it isn't "as" loud, and lacks the headroom but gives anyone else's 250w head a good spanking. To quote Jus Lukin, I would definitely pitch it as "just-shy-of-enough in a loud band", but plenty in any pub gig, particularly with 2nd cab.

If I was Markbass and wanted to produce a lower entry point product to the same standard and quality as the rest of the brand, then I would also want to make no compromise and look at a far eastern assembler, but with the same high standards for components and quality control. This is what they've done.

I do [i][b]totally [/b][/i]get the need to deliver a lower entry point product but I have to say I don't quite get the "student" branding, it does nothing but diminish and suggest "cheap", which is absolutely NOT true. They should have thought of another funky bright colour for their speakers and given it a less "black" name!!

Also, I think I'm quite safe in saying the failure rate on Blackline is so low other electronics manufacturers (of anything!) might learn a thing or two!

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, I'm on the train after spending an hour or so testing exactly these three heads at the GAK store in Brighton. First set Tc BG cab 2x10 and BGH250 head. Handy tuner on , but got it in the pedal. 3 band EQ, but can't talk much on these subject. The chap tweaked it for me.

Loved the sound. In my words; fat and punchy.

Then the Black Line. I loved it! It just sounds deeper, and warmer, and i like the Motown- like feeling in it.

Tested the markbass 1x10 i believe thar's part of a combo. The combo is perfect, but to bulky for my like.

And GK MB200 performed equally! Can't tell the difference in power. MB 200 head felt crispier, liki hi fi, modern. Ya can deffo hear that, but the low end is there, wonderful.

I couldn't test the black line but the italian version. On order for next week. Hope the black line is that good!

The GK MB212 combo is a beast. Beautiful! Bet the head on it rivals the italian!

I'm shopping around fir my first rig. Not decided yet on either Black Line and the GK MB 200 to be honest.

I forgot to look look at the Ampeg PF350. Will do next time, and drop it to complicate matters!

What ya reckon for a cab to go with, say the black line? I really like the sound coming of the 2x10. The 1x15 with tweeter, i believe that, is noisy, or what is that makes it brighter?

But portability is key, hence weight too.

Cheers, Muri

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1361740431' post='1990190']
Personally I think each of the amps are targeting the same market, ie similar in price and power. But I can see how you would think the amps are for beginners and I would probably say you are right!
[/quote]

So working on that theory, everything made outside of it's original country at a lower cost is for "beginners"?
Does it not seem obvious manufacturers produce these items in other countries to lower production costs and therefore entice new custom?
A "Beginner" would first purchase a small 10/15 watt practice amp Define "BEGINNER"! Is it the low wattage that defines it as a "beginners" amp?.
Any manufacturer would not risk their reputation by selling an "Inferior" product.