Why become a member? ×

Markbass Black Line 250 head.

gary mac

Any fellow Bass Chatters had any experience with these amps?

I've been thinking of getting a spare amp, just in case of a mid gig amp fail.

At £250 notes seems like good value. Apart from the look and price, not sure what the difference is between this and the Little Mark 250.

I was looking at exactly the same thing earlier, and I don't know either. But I suspect the Black Line is manufactured in China or somewhere out there rather than in Italy. The only clue I've found is that on the Markbass website, the image for the Little Mark 250 shows the 'Made in Italy' logo, whereas the image for the Black Line version doesn't!

I'd be interested to know if anyone can confirm this?

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1361706915' post='1989450']
Hey musicman20,

What makes you think that it is a beginners amp in comparison to the other two?
[/quote]

From the marketing it seems they are aiming these at beginners, as Markbass didn't previously have a low price option. Now it appears they have.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1361730204' post='1990005']
Gareth, just been looking at the spec/prices for the MB200. All looks good and at £195 even more affordable.

Only has one speakon socket but I'm guessing I could daisy chain my two MB 2 x 10"s.

Well I now have three amps to think about :)
[/quote]

Ay! Agreed...its a great time to be on the hunt for gear. Plenty of great amps.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1361730814' post='1990023']
MB200 is an excellent amp. I've used mine with a Schroeder cab for Jam House Band with loud drummers and it was fine. It also gets used for rehearsals and to drive the monitors when we're gigging.
[/quote]

Thanks Dave, hadn't thought of using it for the monitors. Mind you, then I wouldn't be keeping safe as a spare :unsure:

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1361740431' post='1990190']
Personally I think each of the amps are targeting the same market, ie similar in price and power. But I can see how you would think the amps are for beginners and I would probably say you are right!
[/quote]

They might think they are targeting a beginners market but thinking outside the box makes the MB200 is very flexible and cost-effective tool. It can fulfill a number of different functions as already mentioned plus it makes a very good DI box.

This was posted by Riccardo on the Markbass Facebook page:

[color=#333333]the Black Line is made in Indonesia with the same quality control tests applied to all of our products, directly followed by our technicians during the production..[/color]
[color=#333333]The products of the Black Line are not new products but products that Markbass has great know-how as they are in production from years so we can test them with the same procedure of italian production to have the same quality level.[/color]

"[color=#333333]besides the CMD JB Players School combo (it features the LM250 black) that will be on the market soon, there will be iBlack Line version of the Standard 104HR (500W power handling) and Standard 151HR (200W) in the future. I agree this will allow to have Mb available to more people."[/color]

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1361756565' post='1990500']
"[color=#333333]besides the CMD JB Players School combo (it features the LM250 black) that will be on the market soon, there will be iBlack Line version of the Standard 104HR (500W power handling) and Standard 151HR (200W) in the future. I agree this will allow to have Mb available to more people."[/color]
[/quote]

Good new that Markbass are introducing these - providing they are reliable of course. Now it will be possible to get the Markbass sound on a lesser budget.

See what you mean. Think what they`re going for is capturing the beginners market, hoping people will then upgrade to the higher end products, so getting all of the dosh. But, if these amps aren`t up to scratch, it could put people off of the brand full stop. Plus, if they`re really good, people may not find the need to upgrade. Hope Markbass have worked carefully on this.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1361793859' post='1990812']
See what you mean. Think what they`re going for is capturing the beginners market, hoping people will then upgrade to the higher end products, so getting all of the dosh. But, if these amps aren`t up to scratch, it could put people off of the brand full stop. Plus, if they`re really good, people may not find the need to upgrade. Hope Markbass have worked carefully on this.
[/quote]

Interesting points... if the saving has been made on labour costs only, then they may well have shot themselves in the foot. But only time will tell if they are as reliable as their Italian cousins.

The Black Line gear was at Namm - Hadrien Ferraud was jamming on the combo and it sounded fine (but you can't hear much at that place). The Black Line LM 250 head is identical to an Italian LM 250 , but from Indonesia - same EQ, filters, balanced and unbalanced inputs, line out, speakon and 1/4 inch outs, fx send and return, the tuner out - there's no difference. I wouldn't call this a beginner's amp unless 250w is the benchmark for a beginner these days...

The combo uses the same 250w head, and it has a 200w 15" speaker.
There are two 8ohm cabs - a 200w with 15" speaker and a 500w with 4x10s. Both have 1" compression drivers for the top end. As far as I know, the speakers aren't neo.

MB's Facebook page says they're at the London Bass show at the mo - so you can check them out there f you're in the area...

[quote name='Chadders' timestamp='1362386003' post='1999089']
The Black Line gear was at Namm - Hadrien Ferraud was jamming on the combo and it sounded fine (but you can't hear much at that place). The Black Line LM 250 head is identical to an Italian LM 250 , but from Indonesia - same EQ, filters, balanced and unbalanced inputs, line out, speakon and 1/4 inch outs, fx send and return, the tuner out - there's no difference. I wouldn't call this a beginner's amp unless 250w is the benchmark for a beginner these days...

The combo uses the same 250w head, and it has a 200w 15" speaker.
There are two 8ohm cabs - a 200w with 15" speaker and a 500w with 4x10s. Both have 1" compression drivers for the top end. As far as I know, the speakers aren't neo.

MB's Facebook page says they're at the London Bass show at the mo - so you can check them out there f you're in the area...
[/quote]

It's a student line...same features but cheap build. Hence budget line.

I'm sure this gear will be picked up by a lot of beginners - the combo's even called 'Players School', but I'm also pretty certain that cabs like the 500w rear ported 4x10 will find their way into a lot of pro's rigs - just like that new fretless from Sterling by Music Man.