Why become a member? ×

Improving / Learning playing

TheBear

[quote name='TheBear' timestamp='1362384550' post='1999069']
@XB26354: I was playing in few band, lookin for one right now. Difficult to find a band not running to gig no matter what. People tend to want a be in the spotlight, forgetting that spotlight will come eventually if you''re decent enough. And well, I did ashame myself on a gig.. so not willing to go there again without a good feeling.
[/quote]

Best thing about being the bass player is that there are relatively very few of us compared to our six string bretheren - you don't need to be Billy Sheehan or Jaco Pastorius to be a great bass player. The really good bass players spend 99% of the time holding it down with the drummer keeping it relatively simple.

We all make mistakes on the gig, but if you drop a bum note or two - it's not the end of the world, and you just recover it as soon as you can on the gig and carry on :).

[quote name='TheBear' timestamp='1361640239' post='1988712']
Hi guys,

I (pretend to) play the bass since few years, played in few bands (learning songs with TAB mostly) and now, I want to *really* be able (eventually) to play bass guitar.

And here i'm struggling :) I'm trying to find some logically built "learning program" but could not find anything satfisfying. I therefore turn myself to you guys:
Who has advices / training program / progression that could help me to *really* progress and *really* master the bass.

I'm planning on a 45min base on weekdays and a bit more on week-ends depending on available free time.

thanks,
Chris
[/quote]

Books are good, but only as far as they go: you can't ask a book a question. Find a teacher. A good teacher will take you from the beginning in a way that a book can't, and will help you understand what you are doing as you progress.

W.

I do lots of different stuff... Lessons, books, utube, Scott , did a rockschool grade, play a set list , some band practice, counting to songs in the car, book cd and headphones on holiday, polish the bass, finger movements on the bass, read some theory, do scales arpeggios and 1/2and 4 finger position variations, now doing stuff on a 5 string over 2 octaves, GAS , Bass Bash, always buying bass books with CDs, one day I might do blues riffs, then rock, then country or some African stuff from some books that have unusual bass examples....

...if I can't be arsed to handle the bass I'll just read and listen to riffs etc... If I can't be arsed to do that I'll play something on the bass....if I can't be bothered to play ill do finger exercises

I'm no expert but for me its just doing some kind of bass related thing when I can :-)... It's all practice and knowledge

I've improved lately apparently :-)