Why become a member? ×

Fender flatwound strings

lee4

Just fitted a set of these in medium light(50,65,85,100)to my Status and(so far) I am impressed.
I had to re-cut the G string slot on the nut due to an awful buzz where the string passed over the zero fret,but once that was done everything settled down.
The tension feels fairly even over the set,there is no "twang" from the G,and the sound is pleasently "mellow".
So far I've only played through a practice amp,so when I'm back in the rehearsal room I'll give them a proper work out.
Why did I try them?£19.99,thats why!

Love mine!

Got 'em my 89 Jap Precision and my mid 90's Mexi Jazz. Great, thumpy Bassnoise. I did have an issue tho' - but I love a story with a happy ending....
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198450-great-customer-service-sounds-live-and-fender/page__hl__fender+flatwounds__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Edited by rushbo

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1361731152' post='1990034']
I had them on my 4 for a while - far too high tension. I've now gone the opposite way and fitted a set of TIs.
[/quote]

Same here. My second most disliked type of flatwounds (the first being Rotosound). About as compliant as a stroppy teenager.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1361731152' post='1990034']
I had them on my 4 for a while - far too high tension. I've now gone the opposite way and fitted a set of TIs.
[/quote]

I never had that problem with them in the 45-100 guage. Found them a little lower tension than the La Bella 760 FL's ..That I had been using.

The Ti's I get on with when I play on my own, but once I'm fired up and playing with the band and I start to dig in the Ti's are way too floopy and farty for me. Wish they made a slightly higher tension set!

I'll be getting some more Fender 9050L that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I also prefer the 9050CL set of 45-60-80-105. To me they have a more "balanced" feel and consistent tonality, both string to string and up the neck. This is the set of strings, after having tried literally everything since I started playing in 1976, which has converted me from a round wound player to a flat wound player.

It is getting into dangerous territory to speculate who manufacturers the strings. Here's why: it is not that much of a leap to go from, "Who makes the strings?" to "Same strings."

Case in point: there is a huge urban myth on Talk Bass that Fender flats are the same as D'Addario Chromes. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Fenders are grey, have different width tape wrap, and have a resonant peak at @ 600 Hz., while Chromes have the obvious shiny chrome wide tape wrap and have a resonant peak at @ 200 Hz.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1363560515' post='2014211']
It is getting into dangerous territory to speculate who manufacturers the strings. Here's why: it is not that much of a leap to go from, "Who makes the strings?" to "Same strings."

Case in point: there is a huge urban myth on Talk Bass that Fender flats are the same as D'Addario Chromes. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Fenders are grey, have different width tape wrap, and have a resonant peak at @ 600 Hz., while Chromes have the obvious shiny chrome wide tape wrap and have a resonant peak at @ 200 Hz.
[/quote]
That's interesting, I like hard cold facts.
I've tried Chromes and never got on with them..whereas the Fender CL's have hit the spot.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1363543904' post='2013903']
Yes, the last couple of new Fenders I`ve bought have had different coloured endings on them - did think they had to be D`Addarios,
[/quote]

These were roundwounds I should add.

But, when trying out flats I listened to a fair few sound comparisons on youtube and to me there wasn`t much difference between the Chromes and the Fenders, aside from when digging in the Chromes had a more roundwound tone, whereas the Fenders still sounded like flats.