Why become a member? ×

Signal Chain

Jah Wibble

+1 to what xgsjx said.

That being said, tuners tend to be more accurate the closer to the start of the chain they are, so do octave and synth type effects that require tracking what you play. Anything that follows the envelope of what you play (envelope filters and he like) seem to work better before a compressor (though using a compressor to play about with your envelope can be a nice way to control them if they aren't adsr).
There are a lot of rules of thumb floating about, but really, playing about with the order yourself is a good way to go. Only other thing would be, if you know someone with a similar sound that you are going for, maybe see if you can find there order for a jumping off point, but id still recommend fiddling yourself.

Edited by elephantgrey

I've just moved my compressor from the end to the beginning and am now getting a much clearer chain and it's opening up the other pedals to be themselves not they aren't getting compressed.
No one can "really" say where things should go but it's always a case of playing around and seeing what either works best for you or best for your pedals

Ha! Thanks guys.
Know what you lot are saying. I've got a load of good pedals that I never really used because they were always in a bag and out of the way. I've also been lucky enough to have some really great basses that 'did it' without effects, but the time (and band) has come where it's time to use em.
Trust me I've put off doing this for a loooong time.

Edited by Jah Wibble

After reading this thread, it got me wanting to have another play about with my pedals & try a few different orders.

Tried the dirt in different positions, but if it's after the filter, then the filter has no effect on it. Went full circle & the chain that suits me best is...

Octaver > Bass Murf > Dirt > Filter > Chorus

The Octaver, Murf & Dirt are in a loop & when the loop is activated, the Murf sends a clean < 110hz that blends with the higher frequencies that go through whatever else effects are on. Kill the loop & it's just Filter > Chorus. Keep the loop & kill the Murf & you get just clean or octaved bass.

I did find turning up the drive on the Murf & adding the dirt gets one awesome dubstep sound! Gonna use that in my new band! :D

agree with the main thrust of 'Whatever works'. Just to note that compression can be useful in front of an Octaver to improve tracking by keeping the input level to the Octaver steadier. Also putting any overdrive/dist/fuzz before a modulation - chorus / flange - gives the modulation effect more frequencies to work on.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1361491994' post='1986670']
does it really make that much difference when the band are kicking it full tilt?
I spent time gettng the right arrangement of pedals/sound in the house, only for it to go out of the window when fighting with keyboards and crashy drummy things.
[/quote]

Yes, it does make a difference.*

I'll get an idea of what things sound like at home, but I always find I need to set things up to suit the band.
Best thing to do when making your sounds at home is to have one of your band's tracks (or a similar artist to your band) to play along to. That way you get an idea of what things will sound like.

Have a listen to some bands that use fx on bass (Miloopa & Tool come to mind) & tell me it doesn't make a difference.

Some types of music don't need any effects. Wait a min, there's a sticky thread for this sort of stuff! :lol:

* Depending on what kind of music/noise the band make.

It's still work in progress, but

Markbass super synth > Dod envelope filter -might sell this > Boss auto wah - considering selling this too > EH Bassballs > MXR phase 100 > 80 Jap Ibanez Chorus > EH Holier Grail plus.

I've got a source audio bass envelope filter too, but haven't added it in yet...

Think I either need to get some more pedals (man pedals are so expensive, I dunno how the moog lovers do it) or think more wisely about how to use them

That's a nice selection of pedals. I take it you're after a synth sounding setup?

If so, try this to start with:

Markbass SS > Bass Balls (or Blowtorch) > SA BEF (do you have the Hot Hand with it?) > Chorus

Now it really depends on how you use things & what you want to sound like. You can add any of your other pedals to the chain & change any of the ones you have.

I'd play with each of your pedals individually, without any others on. Stsart with bass > SA BEF > amp. Play about with it & find out if it actually filters how you want a filter to do so. Then try each of your other filters, one at a time.
Then move on to another pedal & find out how it sounds & what it does. It's a slow process, but you'll get a lot of fun out of it & learn about what your pedals are capable of.

Hi guys, I found BC searching for insight regarding signal chains on google. Firstly, wow, I must be a dumb ass. I have played bass for over ten years and never actually thought/understood the benefit of getting a compressor. So yeah, any decent ones I should look out for bass guitars. I'll use google a bit here, loads of questions about them.

cheers.

Here's a great site for compressor reviews.
http://www.ovnilab.com/

I use a Markbass Compressore, and actually i have it before everything else - it works for me.
Compressor > Tuner > Synth > Chorus > Drive. But I only use one of the last 3 at a time...
I do find I have to have the Chorus really going some to hear the effect of it, I only use it for one song though. i hate them.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1361975569' post='1993878']
Firstly, wow, I must be a dumb ass. I have played bass for over ten years and never actually thought/understood the benefit of getting a compressor.[/quote]

I wouldn't go that far, you can play perfectly well without any effects (maybe with the exception of a tuner. The whole "i dont need a tuner, i have perfect pitch" thing makes the sound engineer in me want to scream. But i don't really want to get into that conversation), a compressor is just a tool to help shape your sound into what you want it to be.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1361975569' post='1993878']
Hi guys, I found BC searching for insight regarding signal chains on google. Firstly, wow, I must be a dumb ass. I have played bass for over ten years and never actually thought/understood the benefit of getting a compressor. So yeah, any decent ones I should look out for bass guitars. I'll use google a bit here, loads of questions about them. [/quote]
I am a big fan of the markbass compressore pedal,but i know there is alot of love on this forum for the MXR compresser. Theres a few links to blogs/sites that are really useful for explaining how to get he best out of your compressor but ill let people more involved plug away. (if your impatient, try looking at other threads about compressors on here)

All id say is that id look out for one with input and makeup gain, threshold, ratio and attack controls at the least. also good monitoring helps.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1361977879' post='1993941']
I wouldn't go that far, you can play perfectly well without any effects (maybe with the exception of a tuner. The whole "i dont need a tuner, i have perfect pitch" thing makes the sound engineer in me want to scream. But i don't really want to get into that conversation), a compressor is just a tool to help shape your sound into what you want it to be.[/quote]

thanks for response. I use effects but have not really focused on a set chain.

Boss DS2, PS3, OC3, ED sea machine, EH bassballs, flanger hoax & EH - 5000 ring mod, Dwarfcraft spectacular aenima, DOD fx65 chorus. I basically play a muddy hell of a noise but if a compressor will make it sound like a more focused noise then viva la compressor. I run this through an ashdown cab and have OK eq setting variety on that, ish.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1361957392' post='1993491']
That's a nice selection of pedals. I take it you're after a synth sounding setup?

If so, try this to start with:

Markbass SS > Bass Balls (or Blowtorch) > SA BEF (do you have the Hot Hand with it?) > Chorus

Now it really depends on how you use things & what you want to sound like. You can add any of your other pedals to the chain & change any of the ones you have.

I'd play with each of your pedals individually, without any others on. Stsart with bass > SA BEF > amp. Play about with it & find out if it actually filters how you want a filter to do so. Then try each of your other filters, one at a time.
Then move on to another pedal & find out how it sounds & what it does. It's a slow process, but you'll get a lot of fun out of it & learn about what your pedals are capable of.
[/quote]

Ah cheers XGSJX, some great advice.
Yeah am definitely after a filthy/evil synth sound, but want to put together some un-usual sounds too- been in touch with the fuzzyroucious guy a few times, gonna have to put in a order at some point. As for the SA BEF, bought it in the US and didn't but the hot hand as the store didn't have one to try out. Do you use it? Any good?