Why become a member? ×

Bon jovi , or Def Leppard...which is more painful ?

I like both, to a point.

Bon Jovi only so far as New Jersey, not a fan of the newer stuff. Wife likes them so all the albums are in the house but I don't like the newer stuff. Saw them in the mid 90's at wembley, supported by Van Halen. T'was a good gig imo. '99 in the shade' is a great track.

Def Leppard, again up to a point, Hysteria and before really. Hysteria must be one of the must have in your collection albums though. I always wanted hair like Joe Elliot, now I just want hair.

I think both have made good and bad records. As mentioned, I think 'Love Bites' is a very good track. Bon Jovi have made some nice pop records. There is good and bad in amongst it all. Much the same as most bands, really - that is my exact feelings about, say, Led Zep or U2, too. But then music is so subjective.

I don't get the snobbery thing - they do what they do quite well - there are a lot of worse bands out there as far as I can see.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1361225276' post='1983236']
Well I have to say I saw BJ @ MK Bowl with (I think Little Angels, Billy Idol & ?) and it was a bloody good gig
[/quote]

Me too! I was there both nights and had seen them in Koblenz a couple of weeks prior, t'was The Manic Street Preachers that opened the gig.

Have probably seen them around 12-15 times :D

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1361222604' post='1983168']
Sorry , but on the radio this evening , I heard 'Animal' , then 'Bad Medicine' . Aaargh,my ears!!
Both cheesy, Coca Cola , safe music.
Apologies to fans of both bands mentioned. I know that the musicianship,is fantastic and Leppard have fantastic (possibly over produced) harmonies.
But, surely others here feel my pain?
[/quote]

Great songs, great bands.

Offhand can't really think of any band who write and play as well in their 50's as they did in their 20's?

Both great bands in their time and liked by people at the time. As you are obviously all (most) under 25 and were not born when On Through the Night and New Jersey came out, you are clearly well qualified to throw ridicule at music your Dads listened to.
In 15 yrs time, remember your attitude when your children laugh at the old man tripe you are currently listening to

And ducks :D

Too close to 50 to call :) and toured in the 80's with as much hair as I could muster.
Thank goodness these days I can save a fortune in gel and spray :)

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' timestamp='1361276610' post='1983677']
Me too! I was there both nights and had seen them in Koblenz a couple of weeks prior, t'was The Manic Street Preachers that opened the gig.

[/quote]D'you know I thought it was the Manics but could not remember. It's all a bit of a blur. Went up with my drummer & a couple of other mates & we shared a room in a hotel near by. I do remember getting there checking in & being asked by another guest at the hotel as we were heading off to the gig if we were roadies :lol:

I remember seeing the Def Leotards play one of their first gigs on the now rapidly disappearing Hastings Pier. They seemed very small people, perhaps that's why they made the stage half the size it normally is by pulling the PA stacks in from the sides of the stage.

Both bands are mega big so they must be doing something right.

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' timestamp='1361276610' post='1983677']

[/quote]

Now Mrs T , you've opened a can of worms .
I detest the manics and understand why a band member went missing .Even I prefer the 2 bands in question to them ,)

[quote name='redroque' timestamp='1361277856' post='1983705']
Both great bands in their time and liked by people at the time. As you are obviously all (most) under 25 and were not born when On Through the Night and New Jersey came out, you are clearly well qualified to throw ridicule at music your Dads listened to.
In 15 yrs time, remember your attitude when your children laugh at the old man tripe you are currently listening to[/quote]

I'm 38 and remember when New Jersey and Slippery When Wet came out. There are records from that time that I still listen but they aren't radio rock with cheesy lyrics about cowboys. :P

I've just remembered the debt i owe to Def Leppard. Some years ago i saw something in a paper about them and looked them up on the internet. While i was looking at various music sites about them i came across a group called Bollweevil and the name rang a bell. I'd seen a 45 by them in the bargain bin of my local secondhand record emporium. A couple of weeks later i bought the 45 for 10 pence.
A couple of years later i put it on ebay and was astonished when i got over £160 for it. So thank you Def Leppard!!!

[quote name='redroque' timestamp='1361277856' post='1983705']
In 15 yrs time, remember your attitude when your children laugh at the old man tripe you are currently listening to

And ducks :D

Too close to 50 to call :) and toured in the 80's with as much hair as I could muster.
Thank goodness these days I can save a fortune in gel and spray :)
[/quote]

this.

without the ducking :P