Why become a member? ×

Live or Studio?

bridge

Guys,
Whenever our band decides to learn a new song, inevitably, we all go off and listen to it, come back next rehersal, play the song, and someone has learned the 'live version' and the rest the studio version. (yes. i know, it should be decided beforehand!!).

However, just out of personal interest, what versions of songs do you prefer to learn?

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1361175440' post='1982102']
Depends if it fades out on the CD, especially solo-to-fade; listening to how the band that wrote it decided it should end live can be a useful pointer, even if you don't follow it to the note.
[/quote]
Agreed, I also prefer studio version, but the above does make sense, however, when you get into a song, and the drummer is playing something in an entirely different way, and his reasoning is he prefers listening to the live version,it gets annoying, especially as he cannot comprehend the fact that many bands/musicians, 'wing it' or improvise when playing live.

The cover band will probably do the single/hit version which is usually a studio take, but I'l always listen to any live versions that are out there.

I don't always play what's on the record so, as the live version has usually grown and developed from the studio version, you can hear where the number was going in their heads.

We normally do the studio version but one of the guitarists will always come up with I learnt the live version its 5 minutes longer. I never play the same as the record, enough to make the song recognisable to the general public, but it does help with the structure of the song if all the band works from the same version of the song.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361183292' post='1982231']
It doesn't matter so long as you all use the same one.
[/quote]

^^ this ^^.

Once we've settled on which tracks we want to play we'll usually decide if there are any particular live versions of any tunes we play that suit us better or whether to just stick to the studio version. For example, we open with UFO's 'We Belong To The Night' and play in the style of the 'Live in Hammersmith' version, which has more aggressive arpeggio lead playing during the opening chords, but at the slightly livelier pace of the studio version.

Guest bassman7755

Would default to the studio version but with some bands (like deep purple) particular live versions are the ones that people sort of expect to hear. So I suppose the right approach is - what ever version the punters are most likely to be familiar with.

Edited by bassman7755