Why become a member? ×

Wilkinson Pick ups

Lord Sausage

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1361230259' post='1983347']
Do the £48 a set one's come in any off the shelf basses and are these about the best you'll get for fifty quid a pair for a Vintage (brand) jazz? EDIT: Squier classic vibe jazz pair are about £40, do hese compare to the premium wilkinsons?
[/quote]
I don't think they do - I had a Wilkinson-equipped Vintage fretted Jazz a couple of years ago and that had the cheaper versions of the pickups. The 'Icon' fretless Jazz, which I would have expected to have the alnico pickups didn't either. This is odd, as the two V4 P-basses (including the more recent vintage white/maple model) I've had both had the alnico pickups.

I haven't played a Classic Vibe sadly, so I couldn't say how they stack up to the £48 Wilkinsons. I have had a Vintage Modified Squier P-bass and felt that the Vintage (branded) P-bass sounded the more 'traditional' in terms of P-bass tone, if that helps.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1361293852' post='1984087']
I think the Wilkinsons cut through cleanly, with a lovely smooth finish :thank_you:
[/quote]

The £48 one's I take it you mean? so these appear to be very good for the money it seems.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110971482655?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Definitely great stuff. No experience of the bass pickups, but the guitar humbuckers are better then most you'll find under £100. Hardware is excellent too, although the tuners on my Icon Les Paul copy are a bit looser then I'd like... the massive vintage Wilko tuners on my Jazz are perfect though!

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1361487301' post='1986626']
Definitely great stuff. No experience of the bass pickups, but the guitar humbuckers are better then most you'll find under £100. Hardware is excellent too, although the tuners on my Icon Les Paul copy are a bit looser then I'd like... the massive vintage Wilko tuners on my Jazz are perfect though!
[/quote]

Agree about the " massive vintage Wilko tuners" btw. I also have them on my Jazz and like them very much indeed.

• 3 months later...

I've been playing my VM jazz for years, really loving the sound and feel of it but at band practice on Tuesday i used my Vintage 'Jaco' fretless for the first time and my bass was so powerful, it matched the drums and was stomping all over the guitars!
I'm thinking it must be better pickups, the Wilkinson stock pups compared to the VM Seymour Duncan, was astounding, i was getting better resonance and volume, now thinking of chucking some Wilko's (as i now call them) into the VM and seeing what difference they make.
I know Vintage and Wilkinson make good stuff but i'm beginning to think they might well be the way forward and i'm looking at bridges and even P basses to add to my megre collection!

• 7 years later...

I purchased, about 1 year ago, A Vintage (brand) 330/335 copy (first series, not the later series with off-set 'horns'). It is an excellent guitar (built in the Peerless factory, I think) with Wilkinson nickel plated hardware and dog ear P90 p/ups. The tuners are genuine Grovers. This is one of the best "335" I've ever owned!! And I have had the "Big G" brands!

On the basis of this, I recently bought a "Vintage" Strat model, again with Wilkinson p/ups. This is even better than the 335 !!! (And much better than similar "F" brand Strats in my mind) Why pay £1,300 for a Strat, when you can get better for £350 - 400?  

I have now just bought a "Vintage" Jazz Bass, again with Wilkinson p/ups and hardware - £200 - brand new, bankrupt stock!. This is to replace an £1,800 Fender American Elite bass - which I tried very hard to like and justify the price..................but I just couldn't!  Judging by my previous Vintage/Wilkinson purchases, I don't expect to be disappointed by this one.

Keith.

• Like 1