Why become a member? ×

Illegal downloading, file-sharing and what i think- what do you think?

MiltyG565

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1361618431' post='1988293']
I'm aware of the differences in practicalities, I'm asking you what the difference in the concept is. Both patents and copyright are based on someone creating something then having the ability to control it's use.
[/quote]

The idea of Patent is that it ensures all the design details reach the public domain eventually,so that the technology can be exploited by others, the short term protection is in exchange for that. Plus you has to be actively done and you have to establish that the design is new and unique in a very real way (the office will take your money though, but it won't protect an unoriginal design). Apply that concept to music copyright, and see how they are very different things.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1361634648' post='1988598']
The idea of Patent is that it ensures all the design details reach the public domain eventually,so that the technology can be exploited by others, the short term protection is in exchange for that. Plus you has to be actively done and you have to establish that the design is new and unique in a very real way (the office will take your money though, but it won't protect an unoriginal design). Apply that concept to music copyright, and see how they are very different things.
[/quote]

The reason that Patents are done like that is because with new technology, if it's something in demand enough, companies could end up monopolising the market which isn't good for the public. I was talking about the original concept of protecting the creator, though I'm sure you know that despite what your post implies. I struggle to imagine a situation in which a single recording monopolises the entire music industry.

You actually quoted me saying a recording. Possibly the best example (of many) of you warping what has been said to suit your needs to you can sustain a pointless argument because you appear to have some kind of need to tell people on the internet they're wrong.

I'm done now anyway. This thread has run it's course. There's no point trying to discuss something if I feel I'm banging my head against a brick wall for someone else's entertainment while they intentionally mis-read everything that anyone says just for the benefit of trying to appear "right" about an opinion.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1361618431' post='1988293']
What you're missing is that if we tell people "yes, it's ok to pirate music, go ahead" then give them a pat on the back and send them on their way, more people will do it. It's unavoidable but that doesn't mean it should be encouraged. If as many people as possible are encouraged to buy music then it's good for everyone.
[/quote]

That's a fair point. I accept that the music industry can hardly approve of piracy. The ironic thing - if that research I previously linked to is correct - is that piracy might actually be something that does encourage people to more actively explore musical output and results in them spending more than they might normally do.

Funny old world.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1361648573' post='1988863']
You actually quoted me saying a recording.
[/quote]

The fact that a Patent needs to be on something original is a pretty important distinction.

Edit: and if you really want a recording dominating: the Amen Break.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1361671227' post='1989201']
Interesting piece:

[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/feb/24/napster-music-free-file-sharing"]http://www.guardian....ee-file-sharing[/url]
[/quote]

Yes it is, thanks for the link :)
I'd forgotten the early days of Napster and tiny download speeds before broadband.

It makes you wonder where it will all end...

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1361672990' post='1989209']
Yes it is, thanks for the link :)
I'd forgotten the early days of Napster and tiny download speeds before broadband.

It makes you wonder where it will all end...
[/quote]

I used to use Napster not long after it first came about. At that time I was about 14 and just starting to discover all sorts of music that sparked a real interest in music for me. I'd hear people talk about bands and wonder what they sounded like, so I'd go on Napster and download a track (never an album, would have taken weeks on my 28k modem!), Napster also became something I used for getting music I couldn't get hold of in any other way, particularly bootlegs and live recordings. Having access to music in that kind of way meant that I got into a lot more music than I would have otherwise, and I dread to think how much money I've spent on albums, merch and gigs as a result of this! :D[size=4] [/size]

I had a similar experience with Napster when it first started.
I'm a big fan of rare Jamaican 7" singles, but most of them had not been reissued on CD at that time and they were all but impossible to find on vinyl.
It was fantastic to find loads on Napster and the chat facility meant I made contacts with other fans all over the world.
I even made contact with Jackie Mittoo's nephew and exchanged emails with his mother.
Within a couple of years many of these rare recordings started to appear on CD and I bought many, including artists I had never heard of before Napster.
Since then this music has enjoyed a big revival, with old ska and rocksteady tunes often used in radio broadcasts, TV ads and in films.
This has generated a new and unexpected revenue stream for the copyright holders and it is an example of the power of file sharing,

Music has a life of it's own after it is released and the idea that an artist would want to prevent it's sharing seems odd to me.