Why become a member? ×

Stanley Clarke - Where To Start?

spongebob

Looking at actually buying some Stanley Clarke!

Used to have a cheap compo some years back, but never got around to buying any more of his stuff.

Anybody got any thoughts where to start on his massive back catalogue? His name doesn't seem to pop up as often as others on BC....so please help me start my Stanley journey!

Just been sifting through my vinyl LPs and i think that actually 'Children Of Forever' is Stanley Clarke's debut LP then a year later came the self titled 'Stanley Clarke' LP.

I like all of the Return To Forever LPs and his solo stuff up to about 1980 but that's purely a personal opinion.

He is also on Norman Connor's 'Dance Of Magic' LP from 1973 which is worth searching out.

Edited by BetaFunk

Stans the man if Jaco had been a bit more funk than fusion i think he would have robbed him though,always wondered why Jaco never got more funk into hs stuff that little beaver track he did was just so smooth.Never liked the chicken though decidely unfunkey i thought.

"If this bass could only talk" has spellbinding playing throughout, particularly on " working man" and "Tradition", along with cameos from Allan Holdsworth and Stewart Copeland.

"Stanley Clarke Live at the Greek" is superb too - and the live band includes Billy Cobham and Larry Carlton.

Both highly recommended.

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1361051225' post='1980520']
"If this bass could only talk" has spellbinding playing throughout, particularly on " working man" and "Tradition", along with cameos from Allan Holdsworth and Stewart Copeland.
[/quote]

Superb record, easily one of his best. It was pretty well received at the time, IIRC, and then it seemed to fade into obscurity for a bit behind some of his 70's stuff. But in terms of quality and consistency, it's right up there. Consistency is a big issue when you're listening to Stanley, he admits himself he often goes a while without producing a great record and he is man enough to look back and admit not everything he has done is stellar. Like the Clarke/Duke Project records. Instantly switch-offable fuzak, and Stan is one of my all time favourites!

His best record, I reckon, and the best place to start with Stan, is [i]The Toys Of Men. [/i]It is absolutely superb stuff, top drawer music. It shows everything that Stan does, from bombastic fusion epics, to cool mood pieces on upright and acoustic basses, to funky, driving slap tunes. The production is top class and the cast list is as good as it gets. Truly, the stars had aligned for Stanley there! It still blows me away to listen to now.

Often overlooked, but also quite amazing, the Animal Logic records. It's not typical Stan stuff, and he was slated for making those records, unfairly so I think. Some of the lyrics are a little cheesy, but as far as great songs and musicianship goes, they are great albums. Intelligent pop music made by musicians for musicians. They were moderately popular in the states at the time too because Stewart Copeland was playing the drums. Sadly they only made two albums, but they are great. Stanley wasn't giving it his lightning fast Return To Forever tricks, but he was playing in the pocket with some amazing lines.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1361056389' post='1980580']
Superb record, easily one of his best. It was pretty well received at the time, IIRC, and then it seemed to fade into obscurity for a bit behind some of his 70's stuff. But in terms of quality and consistency, it's right up there. Consistency is a big issue when you're listening to Stanley, he admits himself he often goes a while without producing a great record and he is man enough to look back and admit not everything he has done is stellar. Like the Clarke/Duke Project records. Instantly switch-offable fuzak, and Stan is one of my all time favourites!

His best record, I reckon, and the best place to start with Stan, is [i]The Toys Of Men. [/i]It is absolutely superb stuff, top drawer music. It shows everything that Stan does, from bombastic fusion epics, to cool mood pieces on upright and acoustic basses, to funky, driving slap tunes. The production is top class and the cast list is as good as it gets. Truly, the stars had aligned for Stanley there! It still blows me away to listen to now.

Often overlooked, but also quite amazing, the Animal Logic records. It's not typical Stan stuff, and he was slated for making those records, unfairly so I think. Some of the lyrics are a little cheesy, but as far as great songs and musicianship goes, they are great albums. Intelligent pop music made by musicians for musicians. They were moderately popular in the states at the time too because Stewart Copeland was playing the drums. Sadly they only made two albums, but they are great. Stanley wasn't giving it his lightning fast Return To Forever tricks, but he was playing in the pocket with some amazing lines.
[/quote]

Agree with pretty much all that.....
And saves me a lot of typing as well.... :)

Garry