Why become a member? ×

Re-recording of Please Please Me

Lozz196

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1361276222' post='1983664']
I was enjoying this, but Stuart Maconie is an insufferable twunt, so I had to leave it.
[/quote]
I'm with you about Maconie. I rather like some of the music he plays on Freak Zone on BBC 6 Music. The down side is that you have to put up with him. Like most of these presenters they all seem to have the "let's talk about me" syndrome. Don't get me started on Colin Murray who is probably the finest exponent of the craft.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1361278610' post='1983733']
I'm with you about Maconie. I rather like some of the music he plays on Freak Zone on BBC 6 Music. The down side is that you have to put up with him. Like most of these presenters they all seem to have the "let's talk about me" syndrome. Don't get me started on Colin Murray who is probably the finest exponent of the craft.
[/quote]

I'd listen to hours of Maconie before I could stick half an hour of Radcliffe, the stuttering bumbling buffoon. That's not having a go at those with speech impediment stutters. He's fine reading off a script, but anything that's just running & he just too dozy & slow to be able to keep it rolling.
Rather like the intro to Chicory Tips "Good Grief Christina".

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1361280823' post='1983784']
I'd listen to hours of Maconie before I could stick half an hour of Radcliffe, the stuttering bumbling buffoon. That's not having a go at those with speech impediment stutters. He's fine reading off a script, but anything that's just running & he just too dozy & slow to be able to keep it rolling.
Rather like the intro to Chicory Tips "Good Grief Christina".
[/quote]
Yes Radcliffe is yet another example of the BBCs seemingly inexhaustible supply of presenters who love the sound of their own voice.

If the BBC had got Stuart Maconie, Mark Radcliffe, Colin Murray & Johnny Vaughan to present the Please Please Me programme we wouldn't be having this discussion as there would be no time for music with those four talking about themselves.
They could have called the programme "Please Please Me!, Me!, Me!, Me!".

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1361275988' post='1983657']
They are all pretty standard left hand rock and roll piano parts based around Root 3 5 6 8.

It's easy. Anchor your miiddle finger on the root then play the other notes with the your index and little fingers. Just flatten your middle finger to play the 4 if there's one in the riff.

[/quote]
you may indeed find it easy, me? I can't reach the 5th whilst anchoring my middle finger to the root on my big fat P neck and even if I could I might find it gives a muddy sound as the root rings on whilst playing the other notes.
You obviously have a far bigger talent for bass playing than me

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1361282980' post='1983832']
I'm supposed to be playing 'I Saw Her Standing There' in a set with an unrehearsed band on Saturday and I'm considering taking my recently acquired US P bass with maple fingerboard (nice!). Think I need to do a bit more practice!
[/quote]
if you're struggling just do the Stereophonics version, nobody will notice

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1361286038' post='1983912']
Good programme, but so many people missed the point, simple rock n roll and Beatles tunes, the orchestra came later folks, I am Kloot bass player was good, that would have been my approach to it to, melody riff line, nice!
[/quote]

I went to see I Am Kloot last night on the spur of the moment. I like a lot of their stuff and had never had chance to see them before. Good gig. Bass player kind of goes against what most people on here would tell you about public performing. Doesn't really engage with the audience much, sits down through the whole gig and his eyes rarely leave the fretboard. But he fits in with the band just fine. Most of the time they were expanded to a six piece band last night so gave full justice to some of the more recent sonically broader stuff.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1361282980' post='1983832']
I'm supposed to be playing 'I Saw Her Standing There' in a set with an unrehearsed band on Saturday and I'm considering taking my recently acquired US P bass with maple fingerboard (nice!). Think I need to do a bit more practice!
[/quote]I can play this easier on my p bass than i can on my hofner, tho far from perfect

I just watched it on the iplayer whilst reading this thread in the foreground.

Two things that strike me:

How much of the album started out as filer, and I have to say, I can't imagine anyone in this day & age going... "you know that song that sounds a bit like la bambaba... let's do that!" at Abbey Road.

[quote name='leadubblebass' timestamp='1361490225' post='1986655']
Rumour has it saw her standing there b line taken from Chuck Berrys Thinkin "bout you. To play that and sing at the same time -no mean feat
[/quote]
is that the right title? can't find it anywhere
Edit: I think it might be I'm Talking About You

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1361193549' post='1982455'] was the bass player in the Stereophonics doing an 'economical' bass line to standing there? This is the one I've been unsuccessfully trying to play, at the right speed anyway D--------6-----9-----7--6--------6-----9-----7--6 A--7--7-----7-----7--------7--7-----7-----7------ E------------------------------------------------ G------------------------------------------------ D--------6-----9-----7--6--------6-----9-----7--6 A--7--7-----7-----7--------7--7-----7-----7------ E------------------------------------------------ but I can manage the Stereophonics one comfortably . [/quote]

Is this right, or is this a simple version?

http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/mp3/sgz%20soundclips/01_neck_series_tone10.mp3

I'm probably still a bit slow... McCartney I ain't.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1361533709' post='1987032']
Is this right, or is this a simple version?

[media]http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/mp3/sgz%20soundclips/01_neck_series_tone10.mp3[/media]

I'm probably still a bit slow... McCartney I ain't.
[/quote]
sounds right, if you want to make it a bit easier stay on the B for 2 notes instead of going back to the E on the 6th note of the riff, which is what Macca may do

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1361165049' post='1982042']
Glad to see that Glen has lost the [i]goat[/i] beard.
[/quote]

Thank God for that - that beard turned last year's otherwise excellent Squeeze documentary into a far more disturbing affair than it should have been.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361011109' post='1979667']
Some people see the versatility as a strength. For me it's a weakness, as if they can't really make up their minds what they want to do.
[/quote]

MAJOR DERAIL ALERT This sums up exactly how I feel about Queen. Sheer Heart Attack is a great album. The End. The rest is a genre-hopping PITA - never understood why they became so globally feted. Okay, I'm off to the bunker now.

Only just watched it properly recently

The guy from blur was the suprise for me, really liked it

Sterophonics where great, love his sound when they do covers, but can't really get into thier own tunes

The girl can surely sing, but twist and shout had too much going on for me

Really like the story of how twist and shout got on the album