Why become a member? ×

dodgy fender p bass

hi sphycal and welcome aboard :)

fight like a tiget to get your money back!

do you see the rows of numbrs on the decal? this represents the patents/trademarks covered when reproducing the decal.

someones bought a replacement decal and stuck it on badly!!

to me this bass looks incredibly like a 90's style encore??

get right onto ebay to sort this out, if you paid by paypal then you will get your money back as the goods are not as described.

andy

Edited by andy67

i think thats a contour body sticker which is normally found on strats,he advertised it as a genuine fender and i dont think many people round here believe it is, ive owned american,japan,mexican and squier precisions and none of them had that dodgy headstock badge also how did he know to take the neck off to find the serial number its not right and i think you should get your cash back and buy a nice bass from a trustworthy seller on here good luck

[quote name='stu_g' post='204846' date='May 23 2008, 11:05 AM']i think thats a contour body sticker which is normally found on strats,he advertised it as a genuine fender and i dont think many people round here believe it is, ive owned american,japan,mexican and squier precisions and none of them had that dodgy headstock badge also how did he know to take the neck off to find the serial number its not right and i think you should get your cash back and buy a nice bass from a trustworthy seller on here good luck[/quote]

+1

Ive bought loads of bits and 2 basses from this site over the last 6 months from people who know what they are on about.
I try and stay away from ebay as much as I can cause you never really know what your getting unless you have a very keen eye for detail.

[quote name='spychal' post='204809' date='May 23 2008, 10:02 AM']Hi

He says that the serial number is actually on the body presumably at the neck fastening point, visible when you take the neck off. Is this usual?

Could this mean a replacement neck has been put on and that the body itself is authentic?

I'm doing my best to get a refund but he is getting right arsey.

Cheers

Martin[/quote]

Just say no to this one. Even if it is what he claims, no one will believe you when you try to sell it.
There's loads of real ones around.

+1 on involving Ebay and Paypal.

Reading the somewhat crap guides on ebay to how to avoid buying a Fender fake, someone mentions a 90 day period that Ebay give you so start with Ebay if he persists.

This seller is unlikely to be bothered about negtive feedback as he's only sold a few xbox games and this bass so he'll just make a new id...

I am endeavouring to get my money back. And I'm just kicking myself that I paid instantly for it instead of waiting a couple of minutes to read the emails from you guys. There were lots of checks I should have done before buying the bloody thing!

My concern with this case is that the guy who is selling it is rather stupid. So this will only add to the frustration in dealing with it.

As I've already paid for the item I've just got to check what my rights are as a buyer to then return the goods.

I've asked for a refund now to save him all the hassle before he sends it but we'll just have to see what happens.

Cheers for the help though!

[quote name='spychal' post='204898' date='May 23 2008, 12:25 PM']I am endeavouring to get my money back. And I'm just kicking myself that I paid instantly for it instead of waiting a couple of minutes to read the emails from you guys. There were lots of checks I should have done before buying the bloody thing!

[b]My concern with this case is that the guy who is selling it is rather stupid[/b]. So this will only add to the frustration in dealing with it.

As I've already paid for the item I've just got to check what my rights are as a buyer to then return the goods.

I've asked for a refund now to save him all the hassle before he sends it but we'll just have to see what happens.

Cheers for the help though![/quote]

The cynic in me says that he isn't stupid at all.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='205448' date='May 24 2008, 11:04 AM']if you paid by paypal you WILL get a refund whether he likes it or not, item is not as describe, and so breaches ebay's policies[/quote]

If the guy isn`t forthcoming with a refund, open a dispute with paypal as soon as possible. This will freeze his account and stop him from taking the money out! Paypal is your best bet as ebay dont really give a f%$k as long as they`re raking in the cash!!

[quote name='Talon' post='204813' date='May 23 2008, 10:06 AM']There's some lettering at the end of the headstock that looks like it says something Custom Bass...I'd get out of this if you can[/quote]

I've seen them (I've got one!) with "Deluxe Series" written like that and just there - but not "custom body" - that's stratspeak isn't it?

[quote name='spychal' post='204898' date='May 23 2008, 12:25 PM']I am endeavouring to get my money back. And I'm just kicking myself that I paid instantly for it instead of waiting a couple of minutes to read the emails from you guys. There were lots of checks I should have done before buying the bloody thing!

My concern with this case is that the guy who is selling it is rather stupid. So this will only add to the frustration in dealing with it.

Cheers for the help though![/quote]

So Spychal, How did you get on?
if you need it I have a series of messages to him on my ebay log (before the auction ended) covering the stuff about it probably being a fake ...

The smaller decal reads "offset contour body" (as opposed to custom) and from a bass point of view was only ever present on Jazz basses. The main logo itself is a combination of three different types. The spaghetti font never appeared with all those patent numbers on it.

Some Mexican models had white Strat knobs and the pickguard looks right. I reckon you *may* have a Mexican Precision, with poor Jazz copy bridge and pick up covers, where the logo has been removed and replaced, hence no serial number and crap logo.

Anyway, for your money you could get a Mexican Precision in more of an original condition. Hope it goes well for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i'd thank you guys for the help.

I managed to get a refund as I raised a dispute with the payment on paypal fortunately before he had withdrawn the money. meaning he was forced to refund me. The guy probably had the guitar but I wasn't willing to take the risk.

[quote name='spychal' post='216133' date='Jun 10 2008, 01:15 PM']Just thought i'd thank you guys for the help.

I managed to get a refund as I raised a dispute with the payment on paypal fortunately before he had withdrawn the money. meaning he was forced to refund me. The guy probably had the guitar but I wasn't willing to take the risk.[/quote]

hey good news ... Well done.