Why become a member? ×

4x10 vs 2x10 and 1x15 vs 2x12

chris_pokkuri

[quote name='johnbass57' post='718286' date='Jan 19 2010, 07:31 PM']Mixing cabs can cause phase cancellation at some frequencies, meaning the cabs are cancelling each other out at those frequencies.[/quote]
This is true, but phase cancellation occurs with any two cabs whether or not they have different speakers. Or any individual cab containing more than one of the same type of speaker.

So I should'nt mix cabs, was thinking of trying a TC210 and another makes 115 together

Years ago would have just done it if it did what I wanted it too, now I will feel guilty of breaking some scientific law!

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Mr.T' post='718750' date='Jan 20 2010, 09:35 AM']I played for 20+ years with very little 'knowledge' of 'how' I got my sound.... and it was none the worse for it.
Over the past 12 months it has almost become an obsession.[/quote]

Ditto. It's interesting, but it doesn't make me feel good, I have to admit! :)

[quote name='lojo' post='724835' date='Jan 26 2010, 08:46 AM']....So I should'nt mix cabs, was thinking of trying a TC210 and another makes 115 together
Years ago would have just done it if it did what I wanted it too, now I will feel guilty of breaking some scientific law!....[/quote]
In my opinion that is NOT the conclusion you should be drawing from this thread.

As I said before, you will get more acoustic problems from the room, the stage, the guitarist and the drummer than you'll ever get from running a 210 and a 115! If you want the sound of a 115 then fine, but, as modern cabs are MUCH better than the older ones, you might find that 2 TC210 cabs will probably give you as much bass as adding an older style 115.

There are a lot of people successfully mixing cabs, it's just that they seem to have given up posting, probably because of the hassle that we used to get from the gear nazis. The "real world" rule is that if you mix cabs that sound good then there is NO problem. Your ears are the final and total judge of what sounds good, so read all the reviews and advice, but rule nothing out and try before you buy.

[quote name='johnbass57' post='725048' date='Jan 26 2010, 12:42 PM']Its just the old rules of needing a 15 for lows and 10's for mids have been dead a long time and should have decomposed by now, but they have not.[/quote]

I am finding this thread very interesting, I am certainly following old rules then

What are the new rules?

[quote name='johnbass57' post='725048' date='Jan 26 2010, 12:42 PM'].... if you do combine cabs that have phase issues then the only solution is to change one of the cabs. This is more likely to happen when mixing cabs from different brands.[/quote]
Exactly why is that?

I have Nemesis cabs, & I used to use the 2x10 + 1x15 configuration. Then on a whim, I swapped the 2x10 for another 1x15. It sounds [i]loads[/i] better. Obviously 2 x 1x15 might not work for everybody, but personally I've never looked back. Just my 2p.

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='719536' date='Jan 20 2010, 08:37 PM']To the part in bold italics: I'd suggest that in this day of internet shopping, there are many people that buy all sorts of products unseen/unheard, but rely on manufacturer websites, review websites and forums to glean info & advice. It's rare (but it's a fact) that local music shops will be as cheap as the big online megastores.

Mark[/quote]

+1 to that. Where I live there isn't a decent music store within two hours, so other folk's
views are always welcome.

Maybe more useful than the conclusions in these posts is the reasoning behind them. Always an education on BC.

fatback

I voted 2x10 and 1x15 which is what I use mostly.

I have 1x12 options but will pr that with another 12 of the same model.

The main usable sound comes from the bass and the cab choice is just to accomodate the variables of the gigs I play.
Some places need more depth which the 15's are easy to dial in..and some needs the punchier sounds of the 10's..

Other considerations I have are the carries of the cabs so my next move will likely be something on the lines of DB210's or Bergs 2x10's.

I'd like to keep the weight between 40 and 50lbs per cab which rules out some of the 15" cabs...and I don't think a 15 stacks up against 4 10's anyway, IMV.

So, probably 2 2x10's is the way to go for me.

2x1x12 for a lightweight option ...and a bit more oomph is also in my thinking but not so much a fan of really dinky sized cabs...

Edited by JTUK