Why become a member? ×

4x10 vs 2x10 and 1x15 vs 2x12

chris_pokkuri

Hi all,

I want to know what cab setup people prefer/recommend for music with elements of rock, progressive and metal:
4x10 or
2x10 and a 1x15 or
2x12

Needs to be loud enough for small/medium gigs with a 500w head.

Could you also leave a comment as to why and what the differences are between them.

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

I voted for 2x12 because of the clarity, but I do also like the weight of sound produces by a fifteen.
I've always felt like tens lack something in the middle, although I have only used SWR to make that judgement.
Some of the best 12s I've come across are EV stage 200 (I think thats what they're called) PA cabs brilliant for double and electric up to a certain volume.

My last few rigs have been 2 Peavey 2x10, EBS Neo 110/112, ESB Neo 212 and now 2 Genz Benz Neox112T. Only one of those is an option so I have gone for that but there is a lot more to cabs than just the number of speakers so I really think your poll is a bit meaningless and everyone is just gonna vote for what they have got.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='203788' date='May 21 2008, 06:04 PM']so I really think your poll is a bit meaningless and everyone is just gonna vote for what they have got.[/quote]

To be quite honest Mr Bass Ferret, most of what you say is merely belitteling someone else, and thus to anyone with any sense, meaningless.

Based on my limited experience, 10" cones don't focus the low frequencies very well. I'm a fan of 12" cones but you gotta match your set up to the character of your bass. I think 10" cones might sound better with a bright sounding bass like a Spector or Pedulla. 12" cones would sound better with a lower mid prominent bass like a Stingray or Warwick, 15" cones are good with p-bass and the thuddier kinds of vintage designs.

I love my EBS neo212, it seems to be all things to all my basses. For a bass that is midscooped like a jazz, a 2x10" and 1x15" offers a nice combination too.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='203915' date='May 21 2008, 09:43 PM']None of the above. But if I had to settle for commercial cabs I'd use two 2x10s, vertically stacked.[/quote]

that's what I have, works for me

[quote name='ste_m3' post='203968' date='May 21 2008, 11:06 PM']To be quite honest Mr Bass Ferret, most of what you say is merely belitteling someone else, and thus to anyone with any sense, meaningless.[/quote]
No. Its fact. I have been here long enough to know that everyone votes for what they are currently using, irrespective of the op. Hence all the posts from EPI 3x10 users.

TBH its pointless telling someone else what to buy, cos my idea of what sounds good may not be the same as theirs. If you look back through my posts you will find absolute consistancy of this message.

In case you do not not understand the previous post, I absolutely will not, under and circumstances, tell somebody what to buy.

If I did, I would tell everybody they need GB basses and GB amps, and I have not even got the latter yet.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='204014' date='May 21 2008, 07:31 PM']No. Its fact. I have been here long enough to know that everyone votes for what they are currently using, irrespective of the op.[/quote]Agreed. From an engineering standpoint the size of the cone has almost nothing to do with the bass response. I said I'd go with tens if I used a commercial cab because tens have superior midrange dispersion, which is the only characteristic that is primarily derived from the cone size.

Perhaps I should have explained myself better and used some examples. For example, you will probably hear a greater difference in sound between an EBS Proline 212 and an EBS Neoline 212 than you will between the Proline 212 and Proline 410 because of the neo speakers.

Similarly if you compared a Bergantino HS210, Berg AE210, MAG 210, ABM 210, MB 210 front port, MB210 rear port, shiny Hartke 210, BFM Omni 210 and an Acme 210 they will all sound different.

4x10's are what I'd recommend for more proggy rock and metal, they have the power handling, can move the air they need to and give you a nice punchy sound that suits doubling guitars and can cut through when needed.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='204070' date='May 22 2008, 09:05 AM']Perhaps I should have explained myself better and used some examples. For example, you will probably hear a greater difference in sound between an EBS Proline 212 and an EBS Neoline 212 than you will between the Proline 212 and Proline 410 because of the neo speakers.[/quote]

A good example - I much prefer the non Neo cabs than the Neo cabs. (Thats talking from purely an EBS point of view as I haven't tried that many cabs). Having said that, some people will always go for the Neos because of the weight, other will go for the Neos because they prefer the sound. There is no right or wrong to what the definitive cabs are. They are just different. Go with what you like. To some extent, some of the subtle differences of cabs are lost in a band situation. If you are DIing out to a PA, then the cab is just for your benefit. Stop the flaming, go with what you like. It doesn't really matter.

I really liked my old Trace 4x10. Downside? Mega heavy. Bulky. I learnt that what I really crave is the portability.

What do I use? 2x 2x10 Prolines. Why? Because they are portable (fit in the boot of my car unlike a 4x10), allow me to run my amp at 2Ohms, and to my ears, they sound more punchy and more definied than the 15s and the 12s I tried. I bought EBS cabs to go with EBS cabs. That's not saying that other cabs may sound just as good, it's just that they were there and I liked the sound.

I would like to hear some BFM omnis but I am unsure as to whether they would reproduce the hifi sound that I am used to. They may, they may not... but I am happy with what I have got.

Also, I would like to try Accugroove speakers. I've never bothered. As Marcus Miller said, you can get too hung up on gear. Just find something that works and concentrate on your playing. (Not saying that I am not a gear freak though!)

If weight and size is no option, the staple rock set up is an 8x10. Realising that for most people that this is impractical, I would probably go for the 4x10. Some people would go 15s... I think they sound a bit less defined... but the science can prove me wrong anyway. My advice would be just find something that you like and inspired you to play. There are no set rules on what you should use.

Edited by EBS_freak

I've just moved over to a VX 8x10 from TP 4x10's. I had good results from 4x10's but prefer the paper to the aluminium cones, still get the same midrange cut as the 4x10's but as you'd expect, gives a much more warmer punch.

I wouldn't worry too much about the poll results that you get, it can be a bit tricky generalising about speaker cone sizes. So much depends also on the cab shape and size and baffling etc. For example, I've got the classic old vinyl covered Trace 4x10 and 1x15 and the 1x15 is brighter and less bassy sounding than the 4x10. Really must get round to selling them at some point as I'm currently using a pair of Tech Soundsystems 2x12's. Light as a feather, stacked vertically to get one at ear height for better monitoring (but it turns out to be the BFM recommended way too...bonus).

As people have pointed out a little way above, trust your own ears and audition/buy whatever sounds and works best for you especially if you're going through the PA and using your rig for monitoring. You'll be all the more satisfied for it :)

If you let people know where you are you might be able to arrange a mini bass bash at a local rehearsal room with some local BC'ers so you can try/hear a variety of different cabs types with your amp at a better volume than you'd get away with in a shop.