Why become a member? ×

FINAL PRICE DROP ON FENDER BASSMAN 2X15 CAB NOW ONLY £225!

karim8697

For Sale
My beloved Vintage 1980 Fender Bassman 135 bass/guitar amplifier with matching fender 2x15 cab.

Bad points:

-Main power switch has been replaced with a plastic toggle switch rather than a metal one (fully functional, and metal replacements are available for around £10 if you fancy a more original look and are handy with a soldering iron)

-Corner of one of the handles on the speaker cabinet is broken (the handle is still fully functional, I haven't looked into buying a replacement as it's totally cosmetic, but I'm sure a savvy craftsman could make one up if they are not readily available)

-A few very minor scuffs and scrapes, as to be expected from a vintage, 33 year old piece of kit. (In a lot better condition than the few I have seen advertised elsewhere at the same price.)

Good points:

-Vintage tube sound, there is no faking the warmth of a vintage valve amplifier. Ideal for bass guitar or guitar wanting a clean, warm, variable sound. (I have run a 'holy grail reverb' pedal through it for guitar... beautiful!)

-Looks great, it's a big unit with a shiney silver face and grill and fender badges. Definitely an eye catcher on stage.

-Loud! 135 watts RMS, no worries about keeping up with the drummer, great for gigging.

-Reliable, 33 years old and still going strong. This was made back when stuff was built to last, it's not computerised or digitised so maintainance is easy and therefore inexpensive.

-Collectable, look after it well and the value will only increase.

I'm selling it because I no longer play in any professional bands (toying with the idea of busking instead), also I'm planning a big move soon and could really use the money for that.

Viewing and testing are encouraged :) I'm based in Tiverton, Devon. I Would prefer buyer to collect but could be coaxed into arranging delivery at the buyers expense.

[s]£700[/s] Head now reserved, cabinet available at reduced price of £250

[attachment=127256:DSC00163.jpg][attachment=127258:DSC00165.jpg][attachment=127259:DSC00166.jpg][attachment=127262:DSC00169.jpg][attachment=127263:DSC00171.jpg][attachment=127264:DSC00173.jpg][attachment=127261:DSC00168.jpg]

Edited by karim8697

Have another bump on me - I have the exact same rig and it is 'da bomb'!
Nothing compares and it can outstrip any other bass rig IMO for big bottom and beautiful warm clarity.
They get nice and gnarly if you jump the channels with a patch lead too.

Thanks Bassnut, yes a guitarist I used to play with mentioned the channel jumping thing before, is that what they call 'hot rodding'? i'm not electrically savvy/brave enough to have tried it with 'Borington' (long story) but always got great bass tone from him regardless.
Ghost Rider. Don't say that ffs! it's taken me long enough to make the decision to advertise him :P

I think hotrodding is a bit more internal trickery. Channel jumping is fine, just start with gain down a bit on both channels and raise them til it squeals, just before that point is v sweet with a bit more grind. You wont do any damage if youre careful.

Cant believe this rig hasnt sold already.
Whats wrong with you peops?!
This is a rig to sell a limb for....

Have a bump on me.

Hey thanks for the bumping! Yeah I had a look at those blackface kits they're not too expensive are they, I probably would get one if I was going to keep it. Don't worry Bassnut, not in any particular hurry to sell and the right new owner will stumble on this eventually :) (seems like the right place to advertise him)

Hmm I really have no Idea about that kind of thing, I just stick the cable in where the guy who sold it to me told me to. I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer your question. I don't think i would be willing to split the rig up though, unless I have simultaneous buyers for both bits (and even then it would be a shame)

As far as I know, the Bassman 135 can run 4ohms or 8ohms of impedance load from speakers.
I think two 4ohm cabs would amount to 2ohms, which I reckon would result in a fried Bassman head.

However you may be able to do something clever that I don't understand, like run the two 4ohm cabs in parallel instead of series or vice versa and create an acceptable load for the amp......NB. I have no idea how you would do this or if it is correct!

Meanwhile karim...have another bump on me

[quote name='vindi' timestamp='1361212981' post='1982933']
2 x 4 ohms cabs in parallel = 2 ohms = fried bassman
2 x 4 ohms cabs in series = 16 ohms = very little power
2 x 8 ohms cabs in parallel = 4 ohms = most efficient
[/quote]

That's v informative - thanks Mr Vindi
I have both a 1x15 8ohm cab and a 2x15 (2 x 8ohm spkrs) cab which I know gives me 4ohm load.
The Bassman 2x15 cab (exactly like one being sold here) is awesome and v efficient indeed; especially since I reinforced all seams of cab and braced baffle to back board of cab.
The 1x15 cab (which is actually an old MusicMan ported cab) is less loud, but gives more grind.
Both send me to bass heaven with that 135 head, which is definitely way better than the Bassman 100.

Incidentally I now play guitar more than bass and for big gigs I will put guitar through the Normal channel of the Bassman 135 and the 1x15 cab. This is actually the original Bassman configuration for guitar, of course. Apparently Leo Fender's favourite cab for guitar was a 1x15. He was right too in my personal experience. I reckon this rig is just as awesome for guitar as for bass.

Bumparoo for you, Karim

[quote name='vindi' timestamp='1361212981' post='1982933'] 2 x 4 ohms cabs in parallel = 2 ohms = fried bassman 2 x 4 ohms cabs in series = 16 ohms = very little power 2 x 8 ohms cabs in parallel = 4 ohms = most efficient Good luck with the sale. Wish I had the spare cash. Vindi [/quote]

Thanks.
This Ohm-Stuff is always confusing me - and actually still is, because I somehow thought 2 x 4 Ohm cabs in parallel would be 8 Ohms ... as stated by Bremen (and as hopefully would be the case with a MusicMan HD 130 I want to try).

But then again, I'm way off topic here, so excuse me and bump on me ...

Hi Andrew,
I don't have a buyer for just the head at the moment but a previous commenter named fuzzonaut did express a minor interest. (not sure how to tag them in this post.)
Umm about the price I don't know what it would be, obviously looking for £700 for the lot so if it all adds up I don't mind how you and a potential other buyer divvy it up. (I'm guessing the head would be worth a bit more than the cab so I guess maybe a £450/£250 or £400/£300 split? Opinions welcome!)
The main concern I have about splitting it is if one buyer pulls out and I get left with half a peice of kit that i'm unable to demonstrate working to a future buyer, which could cause complications in selling it. Would you consider buying the whole lot and then selling the head on again? (just looked on e-bay and there is a bassman 135 head for sale ending in 3 days, if you follow that maybe the final bid will give you an idea of what the head alone would fetch/how much my cab would cost you, should you choose to do it this way.)

Karim

[indent=1]Can I present myself as being interested in the head?[/indent]

[indent=1]I live down in Plymouth so fairly local for picking it up; just need the weekend to convince the missus into lending me a little bit of money. Will report back on Monday...[/indent]

Ok if you both agree, here's a suggestion of how we could do this. I will call it £425 for the head and £275 for the cab so you don't need to haggle each other over it. Then either you can both arrange to come down at the same time and both see it all working, or the first person to collect their bit can see it all working and confirm on here that the other bit works too. How does that sound to you guys?