Why become a member? ×

Interesting ebay situation on Talkbass

Stacker

Here's some of my experiences on the bay............

I won an auction for a motorcycle and the seller emailed me to say the they thought the bike was worth more than what i'd won it for so would think about over the weekend and decide whether to let me have it!!!

I sold something only for the winner to tell me "i bought one of these at the weekend so don't want yours now. Thanks". This has happened more than once.

"My boyfriend bought the bike but doesn't want it now. Can we cancel this?'

"I never thought this was going to go for as much as this. I didn't want to pay that much" from winning bidder. My reply was "why did you bid that much then?"

There are loads more like this. Fortunately most things go smoothly.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1360518918' post='1971632']
I am ready to maim and kill having read that talkbass post.

"Please complete this transaction as you are legally obligated" aieee
[/quote]

People who try and speak legalese when they don't really know how is a real bugbear of mine.

It is an "interesting" situation---I'd say the only difference to normal is that the seller is being unusually honest about it!

In the days when I used to buy on Ebay I once saw a guitar that I liked. I put my max bid on (in that case £350), as I usually did - if it won it won, it didn't necesasarily go that high.
With seconds to go I was sniped with a bid of £1000, so I thought "ho-hum". But the seller emailed me to say he didn't trust the new bidder, 0 feedback etc, cancelled his bid & sold it to me - with no hassles!!
I kept it for years.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360533965' post='1972051']
In the days when I used to buy on Ebay I once saw a guitar that I liked. I put my max bid on (in that case £350), as I usually did - if it won it won, it didn't necesasarily go that high.
With seconds to go I was sniped with a bid of £1000, so I thought "ho-hum". But the seller emailed me to say he didn't trust the new bidder, 0 feedback etc, cancelled his bid & sold it to me - with no hassles!!
I kept it for years.
[/quote]
That means someone else must have bid somewhere around £990 before the £1000 bid otherwise the next bid (yours) would have been £360 if yours was £350.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360537853' post='1972127']
Would it? If the next bid was cancelled & it reverts back to mine as highest they still bump it higher?
Didn't know.
[/quote]
Sorry, wasn't doubting you but i've had something similar happen but the way some 'bump' the price is by putting a couple of bids.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360538541' post='1972145']
Sorry, wasn't doubting you but i've had something similar happen but the way some 'bump' the price is by putting a couple of bids.
[/quote]

I didn't think you were; I know I didn't pay any more than my original bid & that was what he told me happened in emails. I haven't done anything on Ebay ofr a few years now, so don't know what's kocher or not.
Though now that you mention it I suppose it was a good way of making sure he got a good price for it (assuming a seller can see highest bid possibilities??; though the price I paid was a very good one.

There's a lot of strange behaviour on ebay. I was selling a something a while ago - someone places a high bid. The next day they contact ebay and have the bid removed citing 'made the bid by mistake' or something. They then re-bid just before the item ended with an even higher amount. Seriously bizarre.

Still, I got about 3 times what I was expecting, so not gonna complain.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1360590427' post='1972821']
There's a lot of strange behaviour on ebay. I was selling a something a while ago - someone places a high bid. The next day they contact ebay and have the bid removed citing 'made the bid by mistake' or something. They then re-bid just before the item ended with an even higher amount. Seriously bizarre.
[/quote]

That could be an attempt to see the maximum bids of other buyers, or an attempt to work out your reserve price (if you had one). Or it may just have been someone being weird---eBay definitely attracts some weirdos!

Yup gotta take the rough with the smooth with ebay - not ideal, but thats the way it is I guess.

Having said that, I've had some great luck with it over the years.

Got a brand new, absolutely mint Stringray 4HH last year for £899 in exactly the color and config that was after and its now my favourite bass. Also picked up a brand new Musicman Bongo 5HH for about £550 from the states a few years ago.

http://www.e-sue.co.uk/recent_work.htm

I won a very nice bass that just happened to have its neck broken after I won it at opening bid. Told him no prob, I repair guitars pretty often. Lot of back and forth and I got it, was pretty annoying.

With people doing dodge bidding and cancelling, I just block them from bidding again when I see it: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181272-blocking-problem-ebayers/

I stuck my old bass rig on ebay, 2 1x15 Peavey Black widow cabs and a Peavey Firebass head all imaculate, I thought it would make somewhere around the £500 mark it sold for £220 I was gutted but I listed it with no reserve thats what it settled at the buyer was over the moon.

I sold a month old Warwick $$ Rock Bass last year again with no reserve and again got only £205 back on it, again the buyer was thrilled to get a month old £600 bass for £200 (still think I got the better end of the deal on that bass!)

I really can't understand why people list things with no reserve then try to squirm their way out of it if it doesn't make enough money....If you want a certain amount for it put a reserve on it otherwise you have to accept it's an auction baby!