Why become a member? ×

Wooten Woods - Bass Camp

OutSpoon

Hi Sibob

Didn't book flight until the dates were announced and I had confirmation from camp that I had a place. No problems. Wooten admin are not very quick to respond, they needed a gentle nudge from me. They are brilliant people though, Holly Wooten or Tone Wellington will respond to you. In addition to my previous post, you will be charged millions of squids if you fly the bass in the hold if the case dimensions are exceeded (check US Airways website for actual sizes), take it as hand luggage. Also, expect a bit of a grilling at US customs when you tell them you are going on a music course. They thought that I would be teaching on the course and by default earning money. Because of my advancing years they didn't think I was a student. It would have been a good idea in retrospect to ask Wooten admin for a letter or email with their address on explaining student status. Having said all that it was only a bit of a grilling from probably an over zealous customs official.

Go, you will have a brill time.

Paul

Edited by wriggers

Oh, one other thing. I had to fly the day before due to flight times. I stayed at hotel that Bass camp recommended that night. it was about 80 bucks +tax for 1 night. The shuttle will pick you up the following day. Don't worry if the shuttle is late like I did. It arrived about 80 mins late due to other pick ups. Oh, and yet another thing. I stayed on in Nashville after the camp, it's worth doing. Lots of music and bars, almost always in the same place as each other, how good is that? My favourite was Robert's Western World. I stayed here
http://www.scarrittbennett.org
it cost 50 bucks/night +tax. It's lovely and quiet but they don't allow alcohol on the premises, but you'll get more than enough downtown. It's a good 20 mins walk to Broadway or a short cab ride. Decent places to eat close by. Essay over and out

Paul