Why become a member? ×

Hello from Norway.

SteveO

Hi there, How're you all doing?

So, a bit about me... I'm Steve, 36, play bass (doh!), trumpet, trombone and a bit of keyboards (if I have to :huh: ). I'm living in Norway, I moved from Middlesbrough in Febuary 08 for a new job and to be closer to the kids (it wasn't a hard choice). Joined a 'viking metal' band over here (they sound like Metallica but in Norwegian lol, but I'ts a paying gig so hey :huh: ). I would say i'm a bit of a below-avarage bass player - I can happily cover most songs, maybe not accurately but good enough to dance along to, but i'm hopeless at improvising. Been playing about 10 years now on and off (more off than on TBH - trumpet's my main instrument). Not got any gear over here yet, so at the mo i'm playing a borrowed squire p-bass through the PA with no fx at all :) My usual rig is a yamaha 375 and squire p-bass through a zoom multifx pedal - god knows what model it is - into a Behringer 3500 amp, with Behringer 115 and 210 cabs. not going to get your GAS juices a-pumping methinks, but it all does fine for me. (wish I had a couple of grand to go shopping with, but don't we all.). Oh i've got a cheap acoustic bass from thomann a couple of years ago as well - can't remember the make... harley benton or something like that - great for messing around with mates on the 6strings after the pub but i wouldn't use it live :huh:

I did stick my head round the door on Bassworld a couple of times under this very moniker, but I doubt if anyone will remember me - I don't think I posted more than a hundred missives.

Toodle Pipsky
SteveO

[quote name='elros' post='203631' date='May 21 2008, 01:04 PM']Hello from Norway back. Where are you in this beautiful country? Anywhere near Kristiansand in the very south? Or Stavanger in the south-west?[/quote]

You're absolutely right, it [i]is [/i] beautiful. Snow, mountains, scorching sun, great fishing, long walks in the forests, crazy vikings on the piss (I haven't seen people drinking as seriously as this since I was in Glasgow)... I think I'm in heaven. I do miss the smell and smoke from ICI in Teesside though, but I just spent the weekend near Drammen and felt right at home :)

I'm up near Hønefoss, about 65 km north of Oslo. Do you live over here or are you out here working?

[quote name='SteveO' post='203791' date='May 21 2008, 07:06 PM']I'm up near Hønefoss, about 65 km north of Oslo. Do you live over here or are you out here working?[/quote]
I'm quite Norwegian by heritage. Lived here pretty much all my life.
I've never really been to Hønefoss though. I'm studying for a BA in music here in Kristiansand. And there's no snow here, that's long gone. [url="http://hallgeir.no/bass/ansgar/snow1/"]It was like this for a while though[/url].

[quote name='elros' post='203890' date='May 21 2008, 09:38 PM']I'm quite Norwegian by heritage. Lived here pretty much all my life.
I've never really been to Hønefoss though. I'm studying for a BA in music here in Kristiansand. And there's no snow here, that's long gone. [url="http://hallgeir.no/bass/ansgar/snow1/"]It was like this for a while though[/url].[/quote]

Cool. One of my biggest regrets was not studying music (I decided to be a Chemist instead, then I ended up working for 10 years as an accountant! :) ) I wish you all the best.

The snow's gone over here as well, it's only on the tops of the mountains now, but it's only a 6k walk from here to the snowline :huh: It was great to be able to ski to work for the first 5 weeks that I was here. I've totally fallen in love with Norway, I just need to find a pretty tall blond viking and learn Norsk to make my life complete :huh: