Why become a member? ×

Had a Stingray... suggestions for new bass?

Daniel C-J

Hey guys!

Recently I had my beloved stingray stolen from me, heart braking as it was, a month has passed and I haven't been able to track it down on either gumtree, ebay or local pawn shops...

I'm biting the bullet and having to buy a new bass.

I've always been set on the stingray as I loved the tone for slap and funk ect (infact this time round i'm gonna try and find a 2eq one for growlier sound) and just felt SO right under my fingers, but are there any other basses I should consider looking at before I go for a stingray? Was considering a Jazz bass (have played them quite a bit) but my heart keeps taking me back to the stingray!

Any advice is really welcomed!

Dan

I think for a lot of people there is a specfic 'sound' that sounds right to them. For me I keep going back to a P bass type sound and though in theory I like how a jazz sounds I don't like the sound when I'm playing it.
So my vote is to go looking for a good stingray.

Sorry to hear about your experience - the answer though is Stingray - particularly if you miss it that much! The Classic Rays are fantastic if you want a 2 band - and can perhaps find a used one.

I have toyed with the idea of going (back) to a P or J but every time I play one in a performance setting I go back to the Stingray and much prefer it. Just my preference I guess - they all have their limitations (some more than others) - I just prefer the overall performance of a Stingray, and I can get a very gritty sound if I really want to, which is unique to that bass.

Edited by drTStingray

Really sorry for your loss! Must be gutting :(

In terms of basses, take a look at G&L maybe? I recently picked up a USA L2500 and it's great :)
The Sandberg Basic is a pretty cool Stingray-esque bass too.
But if your heart's set on a Stingray, get a Stingray!

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='Daniel C-J' timestamp='1360327590' post='1968643']
Hey guys!

Recently I had my beloved stingray stolen from me, heart braking as it was, a month has passed and I haven't been able to track it down on either gumtree, ebay or local pawn shops...

I'm biting the bullet and having to buy a new bass.

I've always been set on the stingray as I loved the tone for slap and funk ect (infact this time round i'm gonna try and find a 2eq one for growlier sound) and just felt SO right under my fingers, but are there any other basses I should consider looking at before I go for a stingray? Was considering a Jazz bass (have played them quite a bit) but my heart keeps taking me back to the stingray!

Any advice is really welcomed!

Dan
[/quote]

Where do you live? Put a picture, of your bass, up on basschat and basschatters in your area can keep an eye out for you. I recommend posting a message on facebook for people to look out for your bass too, as it gets shared around pretty quickly. A band, up here in Edinburgh, had the guitarist's stratocaster nicked and it was found down in London, a couple of weeks later, after he posted a description on Facebook.....so it definitely works.

Edited by gjones

My recently aquired Sandberg TM Supreme does a very good impression of my Stingrays sound on the Bridge humbucker pup in a very aggressive Rage ATM type sound, but the neck is very much jazz in feel. My G&L 2000 however also has a good go at the Stingray sound with more of a P bass/Ray feel to the neck. Both good options imo.

But definately as GJones (no relation) says, get some pics up on here and other places. The guys on here are pretty keen and clued up with a great eye for detail, i'd say you'd be in with a fair chance of spotting it if it pops up for sale somewhere.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360328190' post='1968659']
I think for a lot of people there is a specfic 'sound' that sounds right to them. For me I keep going back to a P bass type sound and though in theory I like how a jazz sounds I don't like the sound when I'm playing it.
So my vote is to go looking for a good stingray.
[/quote]

This. If you just "gel" with a particular type of bass, head for those first. Nothing to say you can`t have other basses, but always make sure your primary instrument is the type you gel with best.

I have been through many jazz basses (and a P) since I sold my 3 EQ '94 Ray in 2005. Having sold all my jazzes on, I recently bought a Ray classic and it is a wonderful thing. It's working well for me. The neck profile is fantastic (MUCH more playable than the standard Ray) and it has a magnificent tone, not clacky in that modern Ray style, just rich and cutting when it needs it. Excellent basses!

+1 on posting pics. It does really help sometimes.

I can understand your love for the Ray. I've loved it since it first came to Holland, and I wasn't even a bassplayer.

Like others said, get a Ray. But if you had a bridge humbucker only, you might as well opt for a HH or HS, as the bridge hb is at the same place on those.

Coincidentally, I received the first StingRay in my life only yesterday, a single humbucker with three pick-up options and a three-band EQ. I'm much impressed with it.

What configuration is yours? How sayest thou on changing from what you had?

Good luck!
bert

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1360354739' post='1969349']
I have a mm sterling (bit different but..) and a fender jazz,I would say the sterling is 10 times better in every way than the jazz. I think MM are just in a different league,get another stingray,in a different as not to offend the memory of your old one
[/quote]

I have no opinion on that. Just wanted to say you have among the coolest interests I've seen on here.

best,
bert

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1360328277' post='1968666']
The Sandberg Basic is a pretty cool Stingray-esque bass too.

[/quote]

This really stingray-ish but cleaner, and from my experience most are better built too. I'm not overly keen on the standard preamp but I rarely mess around with it and it does the job. The Stingray definitely has more character overall.

But if you want a ray just get a ray again.

If you are buying another Ray, I'd definitely try a HH or HS. EXACTLY the same tone (any variance is due to wood, pickup variance eg slight winding difference, setup) as its the same spot (all H basses have small variances as well), same pre-amp, but you get 4 more tones.

My Ray 5 HS is one of the best basses I've played in my 16 years of playing.

If you want a 2EQ, and you want to splash out, id get a Classic Ray.

Edited by Musicman20

If you want the best of both worlds (J and MM) Sandbergs are very good or maybe a Lakland. The Ray tone is also my favourite bass tone and my Lakland 55-02 can give a pretty convincing MM, J or P tone. Once you find the right pickup balance and split the pup coils it's almost like having three basses in one.

Go for a Ray.

The Laklands and many other instruments that have MM pickups, have them closer to the bridge than Stingrays and this doesn't nail the sound the plucking tension is higher if you rest your thumb on the pickup.

A Ray is a Ray.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1360427934' post='1970244']
Go for a Ray.

The Laklands and many other instruments that have MM pickups, have them closer to the bridge than Stingrays and this doesn't nail the sound the plucking tension is higher if you rest your thumb on the pickup.

A Ray is a Ray.
[/quote]

Agreed. That tone needs a Ray otherwise you are just in the ballpark.

I sold my fretless 'Ray 5 and Ibanez SRX700 and Zoot Chaser.
I bought a second-hand Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 on here.
MEC j/j humbucker in the "correct" place, and a control section that consists of:
Volume
Pan - between coils
Bass/treble for neck coil
Bass/treble for bridge coil

It's superb.
Only catches are the fact that it eats batteries twice as fast,
And the pickup hum-cancels progressively less as you pan away from centre.
Otherwise, heartily recommended. If you can find one.
It's stoopid-price custom shoppe or sensible price second-hand only, I'm afraid...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1360441314' post='1970601']
It's superb.
[/quote]

Do you mean to say it can sound like a StingRay, or that it will fulfil the Ray's functionality? Or?

That, and did you really have to say that just two (2) days after I received my expensive Ray 5 fretless? :)

best,
bert