Why become a member? ×

Mid Herts/North London Bash

TheGreek

The library of avatar-to-faces has expanded and I've had a grand day out. Thanks to theGreek & co for the organising and fixing the two seminars.

Just 2 pictures to show. Unfortunately I can't put full captions to them. In pic 1, Bluejay is holding a camera, Happy Jack is guesting on another Basschatter's rig, Clarky is holding an ultra compact ATS speaker cabinet. Apologies for not knowing the guy playing Happy Jack's Status. Pic 2, turn 120 degrees to the right. Hapy Jack's rig getting another workout.

It was an AWESOME meetup. A big thank you to Mick and Lozz and all the other organisers who made it possible. I loved seeing old and new friends and meeting in person other people I know from the forum. Excellent work, everybody.
I'm just back from a Junkyard Dogs gig where we went directly from the bash - hence my delay in joining this thread today. Look out for a massive photoblog - with additional vids! - in the next few days.
I've given my details to Louise and we'll hopefully be in touch to compare notes and exchange photos :D

I got there having just missed Sibob's effects talk/demo, which was a pisser really, I'd love to have seen it. I did catch Mr Cottle's chat though, it was very interesting and educational. It was lovely to catch up with some old friends, and meet some new ones, always good to meet members in meatspace :) It was a great day! And I had a little crack on the iconic Basschat Celinder Jazz, which was a lovely bass to play.

Mick The Greek, Lozz, [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bassface2k10, Kev and Pauline, you made it a great day and you should be feeling very proud of yourselves :) Thank you so much![/font][/color]

A quick selection from my billion photos of the day :)

Happy Jack playing my cheapo Beatle bass upside down, and finding it not too bad!

And gassing for one of Clarky's Fretless beauties

The beauty with its owner

Clarky playing Jack's Status

Shelley

Louise

SiBob, tapdancing :D

Jamming in the big room, No 1

Jamming in the big room, No 2 (with Nige doing an excellent job on drums!)

Lawrence Cottle

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1370129731' post='2096893']
Oh and Balcro, you need to to go get yourself a Fuzzrocious BDPG ;)
Check out www.fuzzrociouspedals.com

Si
[/quote]

Ooohhh!! :rolleyes: Sound samples and demos on the web-site. :) It'll have to be a "custom" finish for my BDPD. That will save them from sending it wrapped in a brown paper bag. But first, buy a new piggy-bank.

Cheers,

Balcro

Wasn't it a fantastic afternoon! Lots of great gear and basses to paw over, and nice folk to natter to. A big thank you to Mick, Lozz and everyone who helped put it together. And of course, everyone who turned up and made it what it was. Let's do it again sometime :) :) :)

Just got back from the Youth Centre - [b]profit from the event currently stands at £340[/b] - the drinks/ pastries (now frozen so they'll keep) which didn't sell can still be sold and I have some unclaimed prizes from the raffle which I'll be selling in the coming weeks and the proceeds will, again, go to the venue. We anticipate that the eventually figure to be close to[b] £400-450[/b].

As I mentioned previously, the venue is available for gigs should anybody be interested. There is a gig on Saturday night with 3 metal/rock bands which Lozz and I will be attending just to boost the funds - everybody welcome.

One of the things that came up in my discussion with Kirstin is that the centre faces major cuts in funding in the next year which will affect the way they run and the services they will be able to deliver to young people and the local community. The funds we raised this year ([i]and in the future - we're already putting ideas together for the next Bas[/i]h) will go some way to doing this.

My thanks again to everybody who contributed, whether this was from your entrance money, buying cups of tea/coffee/pastries, buying raffle tickets, from donations for the raffle or by attending and creating a really good atmosphere.

See you next year (if not before)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1370376880' post='2100066']
Just got back from the Youth Centre - [b]profit from the event currently stands at £340[/b] -
[/quote]

I popped me snout in for half an hour or so in the afternoon, so should chuck in a tenner - if somebody can tell me how?

P

Good work Mick (& Lozz) and I'm really glad it all worked out as well as it did.

Re-visiting the gigging theme, I'd have no problem playing that venue with any of the three bands in my sig. It's a great hall with a nice stage, a good PA, and no particularly close neighbours.

The question is, where is the audience going to come from? You're going to need at least 50 before that hall stops feeling empty, and ideally you'll be looking for >100.

If you're in a band that can bring its support to a venue in Hatfield then that place is a winner, but otherwise you're essentially dependent on whatever local music-loving crowd exists there already.

Given the venue's size and facilities, I'd have thought it's an absolute natural for hosting large functions ... large private parties, wedding & anniversary bashes, family & friends gigs, etc.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm being negative, which is not my intention. I reckon a half-decent promoter could do a lot with a venue like that.

I imagine one solution to that might be to organise a "festival" with more than one band playing from the late afternoon to the evening, perhaps preceded by a mini-bash for attending Basschatters. But of course it would be necessary to make sure we can rely on a good number of punters definitely coming along, and from a relatively large area, so that's a bit of an unknown quantity.

Edited by bluejay

I think with a hall like that the draw has to be a local band with a decent following, then other bands as support. Or, as above, a mini-festival type event with a good few bands with their own followers.