Why become a member? ×

The Smiths Bass Player

LemonCello

3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

What amazes me about this thread is the OP not even bothering to google The Smiths to find out for themselves who the bass player is.

Definitely worth a "let me Google that for you" link at the very least!

This thread is so old I don't think Google even existed. 

Maybe he should have Asked Jeeves. 

• Haha 9

I think the moment I finally lost all patience and respect for Morrisey was during the court case.

Not only was he refusing to pay ex-Smith’s members for their contributions he was insulting their contributions calling them as replaceable as parts of a lawnmower.

He had a great and fabulously unique band. All the members made that happen and the fact that no individual member has been able to recreate that magic shows how important all the individual members contribution was.

Morrisey became increasingly wealthy and bitter off the back of it all. Sad end to what most of us dream of as teenagers.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, tegs07 said:

I think the moment I finally lost all patience and respect for Morrisey was during the court case.

Not only was he refusing to pay ex-Smith’s members for their contributions he was insulting their contributions calling them as replaceable as parts of a lawnmower.

He had a great and fabulously unique band. All the members made that happen and the fact that no individual member has been able to recreate that magic shows how important all the individual members contribution was.

Morrisey became increasingly wealthy and bitter off the back of it all. Sad end to what most of us dream of as teenagers.

I know, the cheek of it! I was a huge Smiths fan as an 80s teenager but it it was only years later that I discovered how The Smiths wrote most of their music - Marr, Rourke and Joyce created and demoed the music to the songs (written by Marr) as instrumentals, then gave a cassette of it to Morrissey who would go away and write the lyrics and his melodies in isolation. 

If anything, he was actually the most replaceable part! 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

I know, the cheek of it! I was a huge Smiths fan as an 80s teenager but it it was only years later that I discovered how The Smiths wrote most of their music - Marr, Rourke and Joyce created and demoed the music to the songs (written by Marr) as instrumentals, then gave a cassette of it to Morrissey who would go away and write the lyrics and his melodies in isolation. 

If anything, he was actually the most replaceable part! 😄

I admire bands like The Stranglers and The Cure who don’t let greed get in the way and split the money evenly amongst the band. Bands that squabble over the cash just forget why they were making music together in the first place and end up bitter and losing a lot of dignity not to mention income in the very court rooms and system they often set out to challenge.

I stopped reading his book when Morrisey had bought Clark Cables old house, had already earned enough for a lifetime but was still whining on about the injustice of the record companies, courts and everything else. It was just sad.  

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

I've always liked the Smiths music but always really disliked Morrissey's vocals. I also thought the same about The Fall and Mark E Smiths vocals and the Sex Pistols and Jonny Rottens vocals (pre Sid obviously).

I find that the worse a vocalist is, the more people go on about them being a lyrical genius (Pete Doherty for example)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

find that the worse a vocalist is, the more people go on about them being a lyrical genius (Pete Doherty for example)

I think it’s the other way round. The better lyricist you are, the less you need singing skills. 
Disclaimer, I’m a massive fan of Mark E Smith an The Fall. To make things worse I think Mark has a good voice😐

30 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I think it’s the other way round. The better lyricist you are, the less you need singing skills. 
Disclaimer, I’m a massive fan of Mark E Smith an The Fall. To make things worse I think Mark has a good voice😐

Mark E Smith is easily by far the worst singer I've seen live. He was a mess, whizzed himself during the first song, just mumbled a few times, couldnt really describe it as singing. Wandered off stage occasionally, messed around with the bands instruments as they played. The guitarist looked like he wanted to punch him

6 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Mark E Smith is easily by far the worst singer I've seen live. He was a mess, whizzed himself during the first song, just mumbled a few times, couldnt really describe it as singing. Wandered off stage occasionally, messed around with the bands instruments as they played. The guitarist looked like he wanted to punch him

I can well believe it. MES was a MESS later in life and lost some quality control and lyrical    flair. He was always a tw@t.

Oh, and the alcohol 🙁

3 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I can well believe it. MES was a MESS later in life and lost some quality control and lyrical    flair. He was always a tw@t.

Oh, and the alcohol 🙁

I think it must have only been a year or two before he died, their last performance at Glastonbury. He'd definitely had a LOT of alcohol, he clearly had a major problem. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I’ve had similar experiences with Shane MacGowan. The Pogues were great live in the early days. As Alcoholism took hold he was a shambolic embarrassment at times. It’s a nasty illness. He was also a poet and not much of a singer. 

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

I'm a Fall devotee of many years, they could do no wrong in my book. Their last, and longest standing line-up, were incredible. 

I would be the first to admit that live, you could get a mixed bag.  It was always said that MES would rather perform some bad gigs, followed by a jaw-dropper, than a consistent run of simply 'ok' shows.

He is not appreciated......still!

• Like 3