Why become a member? ×

The Smiths Bass Player

LemonCello

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1360271926' post='1967980']
Did you notice he played in F# Lemoncello ;) (each string up a whole step) - I've never really got to the bottom of why he did that.....
[/quote]

Jonny Marr played a lot of Smiths songs with a capo on the 2nd fret (or he tuned his guitar up). I imagine it was easier for Andy Rourke to have the open strings in the same place.

This is one of my favourite Smiths songs, and its also one of my favourite bass lines to play (the guitar part is also brilliant fun)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTBkML3iUNo[/media]

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1360281262' post='1968183']
Jonny Marr played a lot of Smiths songs with a capo on the 2nd fret (or he tuned his guitar up). I imagine it was easier for Andy Rourke to have the open strings in the same place.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTBkML3iUNo[/media]
[/quote]

I've never been sure but this was the only reason I could ever come up with for Andy's F# tuning, so it's good to hear somebody else say it :)

I first learnt the songs in normal tuning, but later re-learnt it in F# tuning - it's actually much easier to play that way, so it made total sense. It should be noted though, that not all of the songs were played that way. There's a lot of stuff in standard tuning too (but the older stuff is predominantly F#)

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1360282219' post='1968197']
I've never been sure but this was the only reason I could ever come up with for Andy's F# tuning, so it's good to hear somebody else say it :)

I first learnt the songs in normal tuning, but later re-learnt it in F# tuning - it's actually much easier to play that way, so it made total sense. It should be noted though, that not all of the songs were played that way. There's a lot of stuff in standard tuning too (but the older stuff is predominantly F#)
[/quote]

Well, How Soon is Now and that version of "What Difference Does It Make" are definitely played with either a capo on 2 or in F#, and I'm sure there are many others too.

Also, if any of you are interested in the Smiths I cannot recommend the book "Songs that Saved Your Life" by Simon Goddard highly enough. Its basically a song-by-song analysis of the Smiths, with a focus on how/when the song was written, where the lyrical content comes from, any studio tricks they used, obvious influences etc. Here's an extract from the bit on "How Soon Is Now":

[i][color=#000000][font=Arial]"The compelling effect in question was achieved without the aid of samplers or digital simulators, but manually on traditional analogue equipment. The first step involved taking a basic rhythm guitar part, which had been recorded as a 'dry' DI (direct-input) take without any effects. Porter was already in the habit of taping a safety DI guitar track for every Smiths recording in case needed to alter or manipulate the sound at a later point in the mixing process. The song's texture was further enhanced by Porter's employment of noise gates and the same dry guitar track fed through a quarter note delay signal. 'I had all these combinations which were pretty much all the same guitar but through various faders', says Porter, 'each with slightly different sounds on. It was a combination of all these things'.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial]This dry guitar pattern was next relayed to four Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers, each with its own vibrato tremolo switch. As Marr's plain rhythm was played back through the speakers, Porter and Marr controlled the vibrato on one pair of amplifiers apiece to create the swampy, shuddering texture required. Whenever their tremolo slipped out of sync, the recording was stopped, the tape spun back and recommenced, sometimes recording in bursts of only ten seconds at a time."[/font][/color][/i]

• Like 1

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1360285547' post='1968244']
Bugger off?

Heaven knows I'm miserable now!
[/quote]

Ahh, you know I don't mean it, my friend. I'm just jealous of your fine collection of old Yamahas ;)

Edited by Bobby K

I love Andy Rouke, met him once at a Smiths convention in Manchester in '89. Very nice bloke indeed. I was a bit afraid to approach him at first as I was only 17 but he was ace and signed a The Boy With A Thorn In His Side poster for me (wish I knew where it was these days!)
He formed the short lived "Freebass" with Mani and Peter Hook about 3 years ago before moving to New York to be a DJ last I heard.

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1360277426' post='1968139']
Favourite Andy Rourke basslines?
I'll start it off.....
Some girls are bigger than others.....chugs along like a train
Still Ill......as already mentions it weaves around the guitar nicely

What's your fave?
[/quote]

He Headmaster Ritual. Also one of my favourite Johnny Marr guitar parts, all done in open E, massive chords and Rourke just fits around him so well.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1360333395' post='1968824']
He Headmaster Ritual. Also one of my favourite Johnny Marr guitar parts, all done in open E, massive chords and Rourke just fits around him so well.
[/quote]

Totally agree, one of my faves to play in the set. Same goes for [i]Nowhere Fast [/i]from the same album, tremendous line

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1360274611' post='1968063']

Unfortunately, we're not doing that much this year. Our [i]would be Morrissey [/i]lives in Belgium 90% of the time (he's a native of Antwerp!) and he recently became a dad, so he's quite busy with that. Also, me and the drummer are going to be busy shortly with the kate Bush tribute (starting a British tour on 22nd of this month)

We've done the Smiths tribute for almost 8 years now and it's been great fun. Hopefully this is just a break and not the end; we've had some great gigs in Cardiff, by the way! ;)
[/quote]

Hi Bob, I do quite a bit of playing with your Johnny Marr, heard plenty about you guys - hoping to catch a gig when your Moz has got time to get back over here! Hope the KB tour goes well!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1360336707' post='1968913']
Hi Bob, I do quite a bit of playing with your Johnny Marr, heard plenty about you guys - hoping to catch a gig when your Moz has got time to get back over here! Hope the KB tour goes well!
[/quote]

Cheers mate, Liam is a tremendous player isn't he ;)

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1360336725' post='1968915']
I met him once, in Nottingham, when he was playing in Vinny Peculiar
[/quote]

I've got to know Alan (Vinny) quite well over the last couple of years; he was the support on our tour in 2011. I've played bass for him a couple of times myself. These were covers gigs though - he loves his glam rock, so we did loads of Bowie, Roxy Music, T-Rex, as well as a bit of Slade - all good fun! He's hysterically funny and a brilliant front man, very entertaining! :) I love his original stuff too. He's touring with Bonehead from Oasis at the moment. They're project is called Parlour Flames - they're in Liverpool tomorrow night, gonna go and watch hopefully.

Love the Smiths and Morrisey, love his warbling it does get addictive especially there early stuff. Also love Kate Bush, so Bobby will deffo check out your tour details, will they be on the link below? Dumb question, will try and get tickets for Manchester if I am free on night.

Fave Smiths track is probably 'Panic' but love 'Some girls are bigger than others' as well.

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1360355288' post='1969366']
Love the Smiths and Morrisey, love his warbling it does get addictive especially there early stuff. Also love Kate Bush, so Bobby will deffo check out your tour details, will they be on the link below?

[/quote]
I was a fan long before I learnt the bass lines. I too love Moz's voice, but appreciate that it's not everyone's cup of tea. People either love his voice, or hate it.

Yes mate, all the KB dates are on there ;)

Wasn't Andy slung out the band for a short while? I'm sure I read that somewhere. And Jonny Marr got fed up with the Mozza wanting to do Cilla Black numbers? That right?

Anyway, I've become a fan of Andy Rouke having been blown away by the Rockpalast gig. It's great when you get a nugget of brilliance every now and then!

Good luck with the KB tour Bob, I haven't seen your Sked yet but count me in if you get to Cardiff.

Cheers,

LC

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1360356374' post='1969396']
Wasn't Andy slung out the band for a short while?
[/quote]

Yeah, before they toured The Queen is Dead, Morrissey famously sacked Andy by leaving a note on his car windscreen. It apparently read something like...

[i]"Dear Andy, [/i]

[i]you have left the Smiths. Goodbye and good luck!" :blink:[/i]

This story has been said to be untrue over the years, but I met Mike Joyce (Smiths drummer) a few years ago and he told me that it was totally true!

So yeah, Andy was sacked because of his heroin habit. Mike told me that there would be times that Andy was so out of it, that he just [i]wasn't there! [/i]The band apparently came to an agreement that he should be given his notice and Moz delivered the note as described above.

Craig Gannon was recruited as Andy's replacement, but Andy ended up getting reinstated for the Queen is Dead tour and Gannon ended up as a second guitarist. He also ended up on a few recordings, such as [i]Panic[/i] and [i]Is it really so strange[/i]

• 8 years later...

ZOMBIE THREAD! :lol:

I heard Heaven Knows on the radio earlier. That lovely bassline is still mesmerising after all these years. Shame the song is spoiled by the whining sanctimonious knob, errm I mean vocals. Are there instrumental versions of Smiths tunes available anywhere?

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1