Why become a member? ×

Stage monitor which is small, powerful and high-quality?

The Dark Lord

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1364135926' post='2022260']
I use a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mackie SRM150 and it is superb. Great little thing.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Sorry to start this back up. Did the Mackie cope with your bass OK? I'm really liking the look of these little mic stand monitors, but I'd want to hear myself too.

I use a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mackie SRM150 and it is superb. Great little thing.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Me too. Works really well for me although bass is handled by my amp everything else via the mackie

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1383329525' post='2263310']
Sorry to start this back up. Did the Mackie cope with your bass OK? I'm really liking the look of these little mic stand monitors, but I'd want to hear myself too.
[/quote]

You shouldn't really need bass from your monitor - there'll be plenty around already. ;) You really need to hear the mids and highs - vocals, guitar, etc.(you'll also get plenty of your bass as well if you have it in the PA mix - which you really should have of course :) ). That's what small monitors are all about.

Hmmm, that's odd, because I've been in a situation about 3 times now when i couldnt hear myself (I'm going straight into the desk).

I even tried IEMs for a few gigs but didnt like the seperation from the event (and missed my ears ringing after the last number!).

I've got a portaflex that I lug around for monitoring now, but if I could hear myself in a little Mackie, that would be a winner. I don't want chest thumping bass, I just want to hear the notes I'm playing over our drummer.

[/quote]

We use 2 and they work very well with a loud backline as they are very directional.
None else will benefit from them bar the singer they are pointed at but that is the point of them.
Strictly vox only but pretty decent...

• 7 months later...

Has anyone tried the TC Helicon Voicesolo 150 FX150? They state that you can play bass through it. They have a short video clip of such but it would be nice to hear if anyone uses one?

Like previous responses, we are looking to scale down our PA and sell the floor wedges and these appear to be the next jump up from the Behringer BD205 and Mackie SRM150 equivalents.

Another thing, with these mounted on mic stands with the mic mounted as per usual, do you not get any bleed through the mic from the speaker output? Any feedback? They seem very close...

I think the Mackie is a Behringer or vice versa... and this also applies to some of their other kit at this price point, IMO
but..... we use the Mackie version and they do ok. You could say cheap and nasty but we had ours repaired
under warranty so they remain in use and do an ok job for Vox only.
We drive them in line with powered floor mons when space is an issue and they are very directional which is to be expected.
Good for vox monitors...and nothing else, but they do it ok...

I bought the behringer.

I run my bass (and the rest of the mix) through it on quieter gigs. I run it very middy as it farts out with with too much bass guitar signal running through it.

As long as I can hear the notes I'm playing, that's fine - great tone? No!

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1404046722' post='2488728']
Another thing, with these mounted on mic stands with the mic mounted as per usual, do you not get any bleed through the mic from the speaker output? Any feedback? They seem very close...
[/quote]

If you're using a decent mic (in my case either a decent Sennheiser or an SM57) then the foldback is coming from the mic's blind spot and there isn't a problem. You do need to be careful with your mic technique though - if you put you face where it 'reflects' the foldback into the mic then yes, you can get a brief spike of feedback.

The EQ control on the WPM-1 (and I guess on the others) is basically a tone knob, but is surprisingly effective at removing those spikes.

Mackie SRM 150 for me. It is tiny and can position on your mic stand either via a bracket or between the upright and the boom. OR on a short mic stand so can be adjusted to any height. It is the best solution I have ever had (although am sure in ears are better) Recommended. Andy