Why become a member? ×

This should be interesting. Two albums that sum up your playing style.

Jimryan

Hmmm... Tricky one.
I think the style I have developed as a player can be most clearly traced from:

The Who - Live at Leeds
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality.

In that, as hard as I try, I always find myself running about on little flights of fancy. Works well with one guitar player though, and I seem to have got away with it so far! There are countless other massive influences on my playing, but none so clearly apparent as these two.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1359924899' post='1962212']
Sadly, I have only one, but it does sum up my playing adequately:

"The Hissing of Summer Lawns",
not the most famous one, but the one by The Royal Society for the Preservation of Public Greens and Parks
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359974857' post='1962608']
Were you aware that Flea said he heard Eric Avery and it made him realise he was overplaying so he revised his style for BSSM to make his bass lines simpler but with more rhythmic impact?
[/quote]

From watching Funky Monks is appears that Rick Rubin tamed the Flea for that album too.

Too many really , but two....................?

Ok, two that won't have been mentioned but contain some really tasty playing of the fretless persuasion
"Grace and Danger" John Martyn and "Welcome To The Cruise" Judie Tzuke

Of course around the same time I was absorbing Level 42 (first), Little Feat etc...but that's two I took a lot from via John Giblin, and the ever tasteful Mo Foster.

The Yes Album - for showing that bass players don't need to stand at the back and look miserable

Hejira - Joni Mitchell - see point A, and add - sometimes they don't need frets either

I've stuck one of Chris Squire's runs from 'Yours is no disgrace' into god knows how many other songs, and Jaco's minimalist phrasing sets the bar into which I regularly crash

I have had to think quite hard about a reply to this thread! Its quite difficult as I have played in jazz/funk bands and rock bands, so there are two sides to me. I guess the following albums reflect closely to my playing style...

Risqué - Chic (my funky side)
RATM - RATM (my naughty side)

Bernard Edwards is not at all surprising to me as he is my all time favourite player and I always aspire to sound as tight as he did on Risqué, but Tim Commerford comes to mind when I think about my aggressive rock playing. My tone and style is quite similar when I want to put my foot down in a rock band. I modelled myself on the self titled Rage Against The Machine when I was in my first rock band and I always think about that album if I need to play angry!

Edited by shizznit

Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Prog metal awesomeness. Obviously I'm not as skilled or creative as Michael Lepond, but the first time I heard him I identified a lot with his style.

Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine
Just because the nasty clanky tone on that album has really inspired me over the years!

As far as my playing when given a bit of freedom and not just required to play stuff note-for-note-ish for my covers band, these two have been my biggest influences...

RHCP -Live At Hyde Park (Flea. The bass version of I Feel Love is brilliant. Lots of overplaying and unnecessary fills throughout the album. Love it.)

Sun -Force of Nature (bit obscure, had to order the LP from the States, but easily some of the filthiest 80's slap-funk basslines and overall grooves I've ever heard)