Why become a member? ×

This should be interesting. Two albums that sum up your playing style.

Jimryan

It's really interesting seeing what people are coming up with here :) This is a tough though, I guess these two albums have had the greatest influence on my playing

Tool - Aenima
For the melodic style of the bass parts that move the songs to new places.

Dysrhythmia - Barriers and Passages
For the aggressive bass tone and rhythms.

... I wish I was half as good as those players though!

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1359964607' post='1962477']
I wouldn't say my choices sum my style up because I steal little tricks and techniques from almost everything I listen to :lol: :)
[/quote]

Same here. But as I tend to wear my bigger influences on my sleeve...

and maybe...

There is some hallowed bass playing on this most individual of Stranglers albums. Both Hugh and JJ site it as their favourite (although JJ puts The Raven on an equal footing):

Also, on a more recent note, Hugh plays with a wonderful bass player nowadays. An american called Steve Fishman who lays down some wicked grooves, sometimes with fingers, sometimes with a plectrum, on this 2012 album by the old codger.

Both of the above is how I try to play bass

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1359924267' post='1962194']
Chili Peppers - By The Way.
The album (and song) that got me into bass playing. Still a big influence on how I play.

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking.
Someone told me once after one of my very first gigs that I played like Eric Avery from Jane's. Told the guy I never heard of him and them! Got the album the week after and became a fan.
[/quote]

Were you aware that Flea said he heard Eric Avery and it made him realise he was overplaying so he revised his style for BSSM to make his bass lines simpler but with more rhythmic impact?

Mine change from time to time, and I think I'm developing my own approach finally, with volume pedal and soundscape type stuff as well as the usual pumping bass lines. Big influences on my approach to harmony and bass line construction are ..

Way beyond my capabilities but I find endless inspiration from Scott Thunes on Zappa's Make a Jazz Noise Here ..

I lent this to someone years ago and never got it back. Nevertheless, its force remains very strong in me, Ani Das is a great bassist and musician with a very strong bass philosophy. ADF's Rafi's Revenge

Edited by silddx

I don't think I could distill my playing style down to only two albums. My style is a miss-mash of all sorts of things (mostly from the late 70s and early 80s) and depending on what type of music I'm playing different influences become more prominent. Plus at the time when my playing was most directly being influenced by what I heard, I was mostly listening to and playing synthesisers, so the albums that have had the most impact on have I play may well have no bass guitar on them at all.

In the early days
Infectious Groves- Sarsippius Ark
Metallica- Black Album/ or earlier stuff.

When I first picked up bass I was a metal purist, I still like the music but after overdosing on this music I now wanted to play more melodic bass lines.

Nowadays
Air-Moon safari
Ill Communication-The Beastie Boys

Both albums delivery beautiful bass lines & I just think these are more what I play now