Why become a member? ×

This should be interesting. Two albums that sum up your playing style.

Jimryan

Hmmmm - it's a tough one this but what a great thread - I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts!

I'm going to be a bit naughty by suggesting a 'live' album!

Queen - Live At Wembley '86 - I used to pour over the rather worn out Betamax video I had of this concert learning songs and 'jamming with Queen'. I learned so much from this one, being a huge Queen fan too. I can't wait for the rerelease of the DVD due in March!!

Karnivool - Sound Awake - My playing style has changed a lot recently. I'd have taken my prog' ties from the usual tech (and metal) bands but I'm loving returning back to my more melodic side! Really enjoying this band too!

In Rainbows by Radiohead. To me Colin Greenwood's a great bassist who fits in perfectly and holds it together with sometimes only relatively simple lines whilst still being expressive and just sounding good.
And for rockier moments Waiting For The Punchline by Extreme. Great sound.

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='2pods' timestamp='1360019310' post='1963775']
Too many really , but two....................?

Ok, two that won't have been mentioned but contain some really tasty playing of the fretless persuasion
"Grace and Danger" John Martyn and "Welcome To The Cruise" Judie Tzuke

Of course around the same time I was absorbing Level 42 (first), Little Feat etc...but that's two I took a lot from via John Giblin, and the ever tasteful Mo Foster.
[/quote]

Ooh a fellow Judie Tzuke fan.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1360192301' post='1966652']
In Rainbows by Radiohead. To me Colin Greenwood's a great bassist who fits in perfectly and holds it together with sometimes only relatively simple lines whilst still being expressive and just sounding good.
And for rockier moments Waiting For The Punchline by Extreme. Great sound.
[/quote]

Ben, are you sure this sums up how you play? To me it sounds like you answered the question: Two albums that you think have great bass playing. I often am wrong though, and understand that.

best,
bert

If it's my [u]actual[/u] playing style, then something along the lines of:

Homer Simpson plays the blues
The 10 most inappropriate tunes to play fretless

If it was my aspirational style that would be a different matter...

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360224832' post='1966845']

Ben, are you sure this sums up how you play? To me it sounds like you answered the question: Two albums that you think have great bass playing. I often am wrong though, and understand that.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Sorry, I meant as in those are the players I take most of my influence from, so I guess if I were to sound similar to anyone it'd be them as I try to incorporate their approach to bass playing into my own. The two bands I mainly play in are very different in style, one's more moody and one's a bit more rocky :)

Sorry if I've done it wrong! My brain wasn't running at full capacity yesterday :P

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1359928791' post='1962277']
Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground
Ozric Tentacles - Live Underslunky

Try as I might, I can never shake off the influence these two albums have had on me.
They are probably part of my DNA by now, the first cuts are the deepest!
[/quote]

I like the first and third Violent Femmes album but could never get into the Hallowed Ground e.p.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1360078393' post='1964470']

[/quote]

OMG ......... I haven't seen this cover since I bought the album when I was a wee boy and it first came out. A blast from the past. I think I traded it and some other albums plus some cash for my first crappy electric guitar as I remember.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1360245630' post='1967276']
Sorry if I've done it wrong! My brain wasn't running at full capacity yesterday :P
[/quote]

I think you did it right. Twas just the wording that put me out of balance. That or the booze.
BTW, my brain is never running at full capacity, so I couldn't even notice about yours.

(BTW[sup]2[/sup], you'd better be grateful my brain isn't running at full capacity. You clowns and amateurs would get some serious lashing) :ph34r: :lol:

best,
bert

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1360276483' post='1968121']
Chronicles - Rush (a bit of a cheat, I know, but it's the first Rush album I got; I learned a lot from those 2 cassettes...)
[/quote]

Wow! That collection covers everything from 1974 to 1991, and geddy changed his style (and bass, and strings...) quite a few times in that period. Which of his "incarnations" best sums up your style do you think? I'm most like his Test for Echo style I think...