Why become a member? ×

This should be interesting. Two albums that sum up your playing style.

Jimryan

As above. We all have our influences, we always name a few different players, and often we're asked "who do you sound like". On that note, pick two albums that kinda sum up your playing style. Your true style, not what you're currently playing, but if you could play any style.

For me:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom

Jefferson Airplane - Bless it's Pointed little Head

[attachment=126720:BlessItsPointedLittleHead.jpg]

Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun

[attachment=126721:Anth_Of_The_Sun.jpg]

The stuff of Giants, for the drums, and the bass, and all the rest...

Edited by Dad3353

Mudvayne - LD50

Ryan Martinie's chordal work is something I've tried to emulate and adapt to my own purposes. So, as a bassist, that is the most important album with respects to developing my playing style and note choices.

M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

This album taught me how to be funky and at the same time how to lay down the basis of the song. It taught me the different roles that chordal instruments and bass instruments interract with each other and that sometimes the bass can provide the actual melody of the song and the chordal instruments are just reinforcing the mood of the song. It's hard to explain, but this album really changed the way that I listen to music, play my instruments and write songs.

Truckstop

Cave In - Antenna
I love Caleb Schofield's playing on this and it's clearly influenced me as when I was playing it to a guitarist mate he commented the bass player sounded like me which was very gratifying.

Neurosis - Honor Found In Decay
I think Dave Edwardson is a really underratred player and particularly on their new album I think we'd have come to similar musical ideas if I'd recorded it (though I'm not saying I'm on the same level as him or anything)

Two fairly new ones for me, being a young'un and all;

Turn on the bright Lights by Interpol. Will always look to this as a source of inspiration, mostly due to the fact that this album made me finally give in and make the change to bass, predominantly after listening to Untitled and the outro to PDA. Carlos Dengler has a real nice, clean style with an awful lot of expression in it.

Next up has to be Yuck. Mariko is a babe, real nice dialled-in sound and just gets the job done with very little fuss.
She's the reason why I play the '51, i think that's just sheer love taking over though...

Both kinda similar I guess, fairly grounded players that have moments of "sh*t that's nice" about them, which is kinda how I always strive to be when i'm playing.

Never really considered it before! Nice topic.

Hmmm, difficult one that. Probably:

Setting Sons by The Jam
This is probably more my favoured style of playing when just noodling on my own. Quite a few people have commented on how my playing style is like Bruce Foxtons - no surprise, as he was a big inspiration to picking up the bass.

Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols
Which is my more favoured style in a band situation, keeping it steady and tight, and not getting in the way.

Chili Peppers - By The Way.
The album (and song) that got me into bass playing. Still a big influence on how I play.

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking.
Someone told me once after one of my very first gigs that I played like Eric Avery from Jane's. Told the guy I never heard of him and them! Got the album the week after and became a fan.