Why become a member? ×

Truss rod help needed

Jimryan

Afternoon all,

A mate's given me a bass to make playable again.

It's a squier P special from 2000 in shoreline gold, with a lovely Jazz profile neck that the original owner de-fretted. It's spent the past year in a shed. The truss rod is in severe need of tightening, but the Allen bolt has completely rounded off. I read another thread with a similar problem, and it suggested a Philips screwdriver. Tried that and that can't even get a bite. I'm determined to find a way and not admit defeat.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

James

Yep, that's chewed! :D

I once got a mate to tag weld (not sure if that is the 'proper' term) a nut to the end of a chewed up truss rod but it wasn't on a Squier so I've no idea if you could get into that to do it. You might be able to use a tap/die but the hassle and cost (if you get someone to try and do it) of that or taking off the board probably doesn't make it cost effective... look for a cheap replacement neck on Basschat or eBay!

[url="http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht302-24-pce-tap-die-set?da=1&TC=SRC-tap"]http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht302-24-pce-tap-die-set?da=1&TC=SRC-tap[/url]

Get a cheep tap set and VERY carefully tap the hole out, you then can lock in a screw with hex head and adjust.
Put a llittle pressure on the neck in the way you want it to bend by pushing up or down on headstock so the new screw wont have to work as hard to turn the truss rod

no guarantee it'll work but might make it playable

Could be worth a trip to local engineering workshop or garage. They might have a suitable 'easy out' or even a left hand thread bolt. A fiver in a used note well spent. The other tactic that can work is to find a suitable width (sacrificial) flat head screwdriver. It needs to be a tight fit jammed across two opposite angles of the rounded hex adjuster. It may need filing to fit, it needs to be a tight fit. There is only one way to go, unscrew and remove. If you get it out, replace.

Just a thought.... You said it was de-fretted... were the holes where the frets were filled in? Or were they left open? If its the latter, you might be able to rescue the playability without the truss rod being adjusted...
Fill in the slots with some wood veneer and pva glue, sand it all flat
you could use light gauge strings (40-100) as well to ease the amount of work the truss rod needs to do...