Why become a member? ×

Class D Active Full-Range PA Speaker for Bass

discreet

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1432212139' post='2779228']
Slightly off topic, but the Roland Bass cube 100 is like this - a "100 watt" combo that only draws 60VA from the mains. Seems the worlds energy crisis is solved!
[/quote]

I think the standard labelling for power consumption on ampilfiers is what they consume when operating at a set percentage of output that's supposed to represent normal use. For example, the back of my GK MB200 says "Full power 240w, average power 48.6W" next to the power socket. I'd presume that your Roland quotes the lower figure.
Still even considering that, the Behringer's consumption seems small for it's advertised output.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1432214088' post='2779262']
I think the standard labelling for power consumption on ampilfiers is what they consume when operating at a set percentage of output that's supposed to represent normal use. For example, the back of my GK MB200 says "Full power 240w, average power 48.6W" next to the power socket. I'd presume that your Roland quotes the lower figure.
Still even considering that, the Behringer's consumption seems small for it's advertised output.
[/quote]

Well back in the day when hifi amps were mororless honest about their output ratings, it was typical to see an input power rating of 1.5 to 2 times the output power. Of course that was when they all used transformers which are very inefficient,

• 4 years later...
On 02/02/2013 at 10:28, Kiwi said:

Ah, so I'm not entirely nuts, then. Are we still waiting for technology to catch up? I thought the whole thing about Class D was that it essentially runs cool.

I'm not 100% sure that the Wharfedales I tried were Class D, but even Class D generates heat under load. Just not as much as other classes of amp.

Class D does generate some heat. The power supply and amp are usually  90%+ efficiency so an overall efficiency around 80% for a 500W amp, that still means 100 watts of heat. The irony is that the heat hardly decreases with power as it is the control and aux power supplies that create the heat  and they are working all the time and only slightly cooler , even at 1watt output. Of course with Class A/B and a linear power supply, the heat generated will be 3 or more times greater for the same power output.

On 21/05/2015 at 14:14, Beer of the Bass said:

Slightly off topic, but the Roland Bass cube 100 is like this - a "100 watt" combo that only draws 60VA from the mains. Seems the worlds energy crisis is solved!

Quote power consumption at 1/8 power. This is because speech and music are not continuous and 12.5% is considered the normal power draw. Instrument amplification should be rated much higher, especially bass as the power drawn for lower frequencies is higher.