Why become a member? ×

Best type of double bass strings for rockabilly

lowlandtrees

Just bought my first EUB. (had no idea that the action would be such hard work but will press on). I was wondering what are the best type of strings to get that rockabilly slap ? A friend has told me that nylon are easier to slap than the steel that is on the bass. Are there preferable strings to learn on? I play electric bass and guitar.

Low tension synthetic strings are used by the vast majority of rockabilly players - you just can get the snap and bounce needed from steel strings.

Strings to look for are:
Innovation: Silverslaps or Psycho slaps. Daf Lewis (in the Innovation strings forum) will have all the information you'll ever need about these strings.

Superior Bassworks Dirty Guts (or any of their 'Gut' strings - they're all the same strings, just different colours)

Cordes Lamberts: The slap string of choice, but expensive and very difficult to get hold of.

As a beginner, I'd suggest the Superior Bassworks strings as they're very cheap (£40ish) and come in sets of six so you can try bunpung different gauges.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not tried them myself -I hear "weedwackers" are the sting of choice on the "rockin" scene and there quite cheap! perhaps thats why there the string of choice? weedwachers are nylon.
With steel strings there are 2 types- solid core and rope core .solid core are cheap but will wreck your slapping hand. rope core are easier but can easily cost
over £200 per set! solid ones break quite easy when slapping I would start on nylon ones to harden up your fingers I prefer the tone of steel strings myself
But at the moment have nylon rotosound stings on my DB

For many years, rotosound were the only choice if you couldn't afford authentic real gut.
Innovation and Presto (called Eurosonic in USA) are now pretty much the main choice. Plenty people play Labella Supernil too.
Cheap nylon weedwhackers, home made or otherwise are the new kids on the block - great for low budgets, and great for easy slapping, but the E and A can be pretty much useless.
Recently pimped up whackers like Superior, Cordes Lambert and a handful of similar have emerged - they variously offer slightly improved whackers, cosmetically improved whackers ... or completely original alternatives to gut. They are strings for connoisseurs really ... If you want some cheap sh*t to learn slapping with, get whackers.
If you have a mag pickup get presto, or the new Superior TriCore ... But don't expect authentic 50s gut sound, just something pretty close to most ears.