Why become a member? ×

Looking to replace my ABM 410 with a new 4x10 Suggestions??

spud19870

Hello everyone,

I am currently running an Ashdown ABM EVO II 500W head with the ABM 4X10 and 1X15 (though the 15 doesn't get used much).

I am looking to replace the 4x10 as I find it tends to muddy the sound a little but and struggles to come through the mix. My sound at the moment is basically a typical rock sound with the grind used at 10 o clock on the head to give it a little bit of low end growl. Something which I would like to keep. I also run an MXR Blowtorch pedal for my distorted sound.

I have looked at a Mesa Power House on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190790973116?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 though I am not sure how old it is or even if it is a powerhouse, the back seems different to the ones I have seen kicking around on other sites.

I have been suggested the Hartke Hydrive 410 and also to look at the Matamp range of cabs. I also looked at the the Ampeg HLF 410 though these are quite pricey.

Quite happy to go second hand etc, budget £600 or so depending on what i can fetch for my current cab.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

[quote name='spud19870' timestamp='1359632581' post='1957817']
I am based in Oxfordshire, barefaced look quite good. I had never come across them before!
[/quote]

Quite a bit of love for them on here. I borrowed a Super Twelve for a month or two and it was by far the best cab I've used in 38 years of playing. 1200W RMS and a one-hand lift. Goes in the boot of a Polo without putting the seats down. Only poverty prevents me from ordering one. :)

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1359632811' post='1957822']
Hang around for 24 months, there will loads of them for sale when the next best thing comes along.
[/quote]

I don't think so - the laws of physics being what they are. ;)

Anyway spud19870, I reckon you should certainly try a Barefaced cab. They do a one month free trial scheme.

Edited by discreet

If a 410 is a must, then for the sound described I`d look at Ampeg. The PF410HLF is a very nice cab, and of course does that famous Ampeg sound very well. new they are within your budget.

But, as others have said, 2nd hand on here would be wise - more cab for the same amount of money. I also agree re Barefaced, they are very good. do a search on here for Super 12, and see how highly thought of they are.

You won't find a better 4x10 than a Barefaced 2x12 in my opinion, they are a bit expensive, but well worth it, and arguably better than any 2x12s on the market! I was very skeptical, as I've used nothing but 4x10s for many years. But I can honestly say I currently own the best cab I've ever had. Have a read on the Barefaced website about why a 2x12 works better than a 4x10.

You read that right by the way, 1200W, a one hand lift, fits in the boot of a polo with the seats up!

I would never describe my Ashdown ABM410 as muddy. Its loud, clear, cuts through everything and can push out a lot of bass but never muddy.

Having said that, I did own an ABM500 RC EVO chrome rack mount thingy for several months and it made my sound incredibly muddy. I thought it was the cabs but it turned out to be the amp.

I'm just selling mine cos I want something lighter and smaller for when I change my car in the next wee while

Edited by Delberthot

can not go wrong with any ebs 4 x10 proline are fantastic cabs (in my opinion),I regret selling mine. Punched hard and the highend was glassy smooth. There are one or two in the for sale section on here i think. silly cheap at under £400. If you can get a neo 4 x10 then all the better as the weight is much less of an issue.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1359651689' post='1958287']
You won't find a better 4x10 than a Barefaced 2x12 in my opinion, they are a bit expensive, but well worth it, and arguably better than any 2x12s on the market! I was very skeptical, as I've used nothing but 4x10s for many years. But I can honestly say I currently own the best cab I've ever had. Have a read on the Barefaced website about why a 2x12 works better than a 4x10.

You read that right by the way, 1200W, a one hand lift, fits in the boot of a polo with the seats up!
[/quote]

You better like 12's more than 10's then.....
There is a world of difference in my decent 12's and decent 10's..and anyone who says they do the same job sound wise, has cloth ears IMV.
Fair enough if you prefer 12's or 15's or whatever but they don't sound the same.... IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1359755846' post='1960057']
You better like 12's more than 10's then.....
There is a world of difference in my decent 12's and decent 10's..and anyone who says they do the same job sound wise, has cloth ears IMV.
Fair enough if you prefer 12's or 15's or whatever but they don't sound the same.... IMO.
[/quote]
Absolutely....!

If you want a 410, get a 410! If your budget stretches to a Barefaced, I would look for a s/h Bergantino. Failing that then maybe a s/h Aguilar or even an Ampeg or an old SWR...

Edited by peteb

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been out today trying various bits of kit and I have picked up an Apmeg SVT 410 HLF. It sounded amazing with my Ashdown head and Ibanez bass.

Also I will put my old cabs up for sale on here soon!!!

Edited by spud19870

[quote name='spud19870' timestamp='1359758503' post='1960128']
Thanks for the advice guys. I have been out today trying various bits of kit and I have picked up an Apmeg SVT 410 HLF. It sounded amazing with my Ashdown head and Ibanez bass.

Also I will put my old cabs up for sale on here soon!!!
[/quote]
Good choice - a industry standard, quality workhorse cab! I'm sure that you will notice a marked improvement.....

Give it a couple of months and you will want to upgrade your amp! :) :)

Edited by peteb

• 4 weeks later...