Why become a member? ×

Three P's.. Which is Which?

Nibody

In no particular order a 1970's Maya, a 2012 US FSR with hand stained body, and a lightweight bitsa (MightyMite Neck, wizard p'ups,generic Gotoh 201 copy bridge and Lightweight body incorporating a metal sustain block under the bridge. All strung with new Fender 9050CL Flats. Can you tell which is which

[url="https://soundcloud.com/davelee-3/bass-test"]https://soundcloud.c...lee-3/bass-test[/url]

Number 1 [spoiler]2012 US FSR Precision....[/spoiler]
Number 2 [spoiler]Mighty Mite Bitsa..............[/spoiler]
Number 3 [spoiler]1970's Maya Electric Bass[/spoiler]

Edited by Nibody

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1359624128' post='1957603']
'60 P's - which is which?
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/20130131_091609.jpg"]http://img.photobuck...0131_091609.jpg[/url]
:lol:
[/quote]

:rolleyes: :lol:

Well, in my opinion.The only way to truly compare something, like in an experiment, there must be a control, a non-variable. The way in which you play and where you play, how much or how little you dig in, how hard you pluck or how smoothly cannot be guarantee uniform, we are human after all.

I think you played the first one very smoothly and was your best, the second slightly harder and percussive and the last one, much like the first.

If people are really interested in going to the nth degree and doing comparrisons, there needs to be a control. The control would have to be a mechanical devive to guarantee consistancy. But thats kinda silly in my eye. But then, I don't get the need to take things to this degree, its mostly about the fingers.

My tuppenceworth.

I do hope I haven't created outrage, though this is basschat.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1359628069' post='1957705']
Well, in my opinion.The only way to truly compare something, like in an experiment, there must be a control, a non-variable. The way in which you play and where you play, how much or how little you dig in, how hard you pluck or how smoothly cannot be guarantee uniform, we are human after all.

I think you played the first one very smoothly and was your best, the second slightly harder and percussive and the last one, much like the first.

If people are really interested in going to the nth degree and doing comparrisons, there needs to be a control. The control would have to be a mechanical devive to guarantee consistancy. But thats kinda silly in my eye. But then, I don't get the need to take things to this degree, its mostly about the fingers.

My tuppenceworth.

I do hope I haven't created outrage, though this is basschat.
[/quote]

No I see your point, and its valid. All three were played in the same position fingerstyle (I unfortunately grew up playing Iron Maiden so have to restrain myself from digging in too much). On reflection, the one in the middle has the action set a tad lower than the other two so good ears - I did think it sounded a little more percusive as a result of this.

The basic idea was putting three basses direct through flat EQ with someone playing the same basic progression using the same style/position of playing and see if anyone could spot which was which without any preconceptions or visual stimuli.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1359643597' post='1958139']
I guess and that's all it is... Bitsa, Maya and USA P.
[/quote]

That's what I just came up with too. I didn't guess, of course. I used my experience and judgement to reach a well-reasoned conclusion incorporating all the evidence.

Oh alright, I guessed.

In order of personal preference: 2, 3, 1.

I actually think the US P sounds rather dull in comparison to the others, and the Bitsa in particular.

The third one isn't quite in tune with the other two, which affects the perception of tone, I would imagine.

Interesting though!