Why become a member? ×

Less boom and raising a 4x10?

Prime_BASS

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1360860324' post='1977575']
Yeah I was going the cloth route - green for me, cos its the new black darling.

That ae212 looks ace :D, and its certainly at the "right height" standing on the hop up isnt it!
[/quote]

Yep, I think it will do nicely, - plus I can put covers and gear bags etc underneath out of the way.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1360885641' post='1978067']
Looks good and I'm sure it'll look better with some cloth over it.

My birthday is coming up so I might investigate a flightcase, if they arn't too heavy and cumbersome.
If not this fold up thing looks promising, if a little short for a 4x10
[/quote]

This one will probably suit...

Thinking it might work well with my 6x10

http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-hop-up-work-platform-aluminium/38093;jsessionid=vCBYRpLDD1r9LPR5jmwGj2BLcbQpbCRgxVXfg5sTfsWTyxC8XBt5!1129693404

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1360923765' post='1978315']
This one will probably suit...

Thinking it might work well with my 6x10

[url="http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-hop-up-work-platform-aluminium/38093;jsessionid=vCBYRpLDD1r9LPR5jmwGj2BLcbQpbCRgxVXfg5sTfsWTyxC8XBt5!1129693404"]http://www.screwfix....XBt5!1129693404[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah the screwfix jobbie is 500mm high when opened up. Thats high enough for almost all cases I can think of, higher than a lot of 1x15 cabs that would have been used in the old days to do not much other than get some height (flame suit on) when paired with a 4x10.

If you shop around you may well find an even taller one though...

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd resurect this thread than start a new one.

I'm trying to work out if a lightweight case to fit a cab made of 6mm ply screwed and glued to an 18mm timber frame would be solid enough to support a 27kg cab.

It would look like a flightcase but simpler with holes in the sides so that I can use the existing cab handles

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1365173595' post='2036357']

I'm trying to work out if a lightweight case to fit a cab made of 6mm ply screwed and glued to an 18mm timber frame would be solid enough to support a 27kg cab.

It would look like a flightcase but simpler with holes in the sides so that I can use the existing cab handles
[/quote]

It should do without any probs (provided it's not held together with pritt stick). You'd be surprised what weights some things can withstand.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1365184192' post='2036571']
Just back from B&Q and did some pressure tests with various woods (pressing down on it really hard) and it would appear that 15mmx12mm pine stripwood will be strong enough.

Going to do a build diary once I've worked out the details
[/quote]

Will be watching with interest. Will you be putting wheels on the box?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1365173595' post='2036357']

[/quote]

Interesting, as this is something I was looking at doing before hand. My cab is around 27KGs too.
I just don't like the idea of that screwfix thing, great idea and looks like most of you use it with success.
As I don't drive saving as much space and time and weight as possible is always a help.

• 11 months later...

Last gig was in a low ceilinged pub, rectangular room divided by a brick fireplace. I had two Baer ML112s on the hard floor, horizontally stacked, approx. 30cm from the wall. Low bass (30Hz) was cut, slight boost at 250Hz, slight cuts at 800Hz and 2KHz. A bassist in the audience said there was distortion and bass pooling, especially in the corners. We're playing there again in two weeks, so having read the advice I'm raising the stack. And only using what I rescued from the garage: a length of pine, an old shelf, and two floor mats from a 2005 Vauxhall Zafira 1.6i.

It takes the weight fine!

Just needs a sanding and lick of paint (and a way to get that Baer logo straight on the cab cover!).

Cost breakdown:
£0.00 Old shelf
£0.00 Spare length of pine (although you can get them for about £2.50)
£0.00 Spare screws and nails
£2,495.00 Vauxhall Zafira 2005 1.6i

Will let you know how it gets on...

Edited by Kevsy71

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1397041148' post='2419967']
Last gig was in a low ceilinged pub, rectangular room divided by a brick fireplace. I had two Baer ML112s on the hard floor, horizontally stacked, approx. 30cm from the wall. Low bass (30Hz) was cut, slight boost at 250Hz, slight cuts at 800Hz and 2KHz. A bassist in the audience said there was distortion and bass pooling, especially in the corners. We're playing there again in two weeks, so having read the advice I'm raising the stack. And only using what I rescued from the garage: a length of pine, an old shelf, and two floor mats from a 2005 Vauxhall Zafira 1.6i.[/quote]

I would recommend taking the Eden out of its rack and putting it on the ML112's stacked vertically. You will notice a difference in low end response due to the decreased coupling with the floor. Keep in mind that you are always going to run into bass frequencies building up in the corners of a room. Some rooms will be worse than others.

Edited by R Baer

[quote name='R Baer' timestamp='1398414530' post='2433785']
I would recommend taking the Eden out of its rack and putting it on the ML112's stacked vertically. You will notice a difference in low end response due to the decreased coupling with the floor. Keep in mind that you are always going to run into bass frequencies building up in the corners of a room. Some rooms will be worse than others.
[/quote]

We're playing the same pub tomorrow evening Roger, so I'll give that a go - cheers :)

PS just to add the Baers are always excellent, it's just this particular room that's a problem!

Edited by Kevsy71

I used to play a room in Hollywood that was the same way. Long rectangular room with a raised stage at one end. The celling was low on that part of the room, maybe only 7' tall on stage. Then the room opened up to about 12' tall for everything but the last 10' or so, where the roof sloped back down. I could always get a decent stage mix, but it was literally impossible to get a good room sound in that place. We won't even bring up the sound guy's "skills".

The vertical ML112 stack worked brilliantly, thanks for the tip Roger! I didn't get to hear myself through it from the front of house (obviously) but the support band's Jazz bass was one of the best bass sounds I've heard.

My first post here - hoping this UK forum is a nicer place to be than that other one where people talk bass ;)

Here's my solution and thoughts on the boom problem.

I carry a gramma to every gig. I do t always need it, but if playing on an hollow wooden stage, it's totally worth it, as I've found sometimes the boom isn't necessarily coming out of the bass cab, but sometimes the bass vibrations affects the vocal mics and causes a boom through the PA. However, it still does help with low end rumble.

First solution is acoustically. I try to place my cab In a place that reduces resonances, but often due to logistics, one can only do so much here.

Of course, the gramma cannot solve room nodes. This is where my zoom ms-60b comes in. It has a 2 band parametric eq effect that usefully displays the frequency it's affecting. What I'll do it find the notes that's booming the most, look up that note's frequency on a chart I keep on my ipad and dial it (or it's octave) out a few db's till it sound even.

I'll sometimes resort to the RTA analyser app it it's an indistinct boom to try and nail it down (PS this is a useful tool for the PA too if you get a low end feedback node. Easy to hone in ams fix with eq.

The zoom also has a preamp modelled on the fishman platinum bass eq, which has a hpf - very useful!

As others have alluded, the markbass eq is quite handy for taming the low end with its 40hz bass knob. Unfortunate for me, I'm finding the low mid it centred to high to compensate (around 360hz I believe). Time for a new amp methinks, with proper parametric eq.

Lastly, as roger states above, I sometimes play in a certain venue that is an acoustic nightmare. Large pub with about 12-14fr ceiling, with the stage on one side is what it essentially a a large bay window, with lower ceiling (about 7ft) and on a 1ft high hollow wooden stage. It vibrates and resonates like crazy. With these tools at my disposal I've been able to tame the boom and resonances much better these days, even though it always causes problems every time we play there.

I wonder what people mean by 'boom'... I would call it just a bassier sound which you might want to roll off, but if you are talking about a
dustbin type sound, then I just don't think it should be a factor 99% with decent rig.

I had to play pretty loud last night on a stage that was built on the units so prevalent in sports halls, so not enclosed and not such an obvious
basstrap and I loved the sound. The room was very high and I've heard disasters there before, but I just think you need to be sensible
about the bass. I had the active of the usual roll-on for bass, ...I never touched the amp, and I turned the tweeters up a tad.

No boom, no gamma, but the 212 and 210 stood on the 212 casters. Best sound I've had for ages, loved it.

Tips, don't couple to the floor if the room is difficult, and best of all... be prepared to go passive and/or get those humbuckers out of the equation.. IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399278486' post='2442602']
I wonder what people mean by 'boom'... I would call it just a bassier sound which you might want to roll off,
[/quote]

Good point! "Distorted throbbing bass especially in the room corners" is what I meant (need a catchy term for that...)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399278486' post='2442602']
No boom, no gamma, but the 212 and 210 stood on the 212 casters. Best sound I've had for ages, loved it.
[/quote]

Amen to that. Dodgy room cured by decoupling.