Why become a member? ×

sh*te Basses - Discuss

WhoNeedsYou

Worst bass I've owned for tone is my Traben, it just doesn't suit me, might be someone else's ideal bass, its got a bucket load and more in terms of bass and not that much treble or mid, wasn't right for me! Worst in terms of quality is my Squire P-Bass though that is being upgraded. Worst bass I've ever had the misfortune of playing is a EB-0/3 played both hated both, they are closely followed by all Ibanez basses, they feel vile in my hands sound alright but the feel is the worst!

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1359580462' post='1957092']
and the worst bass I have ever played...... Epiphone Thunderbird
[/quote]
:o Really? I always fancied one of these because they looked chunky & Nicky Wire played one (badly) for a while. I can blame the guitar for those musical gliches then?! ;-)

I cant believe nobody has flagged this as a discussion point before. Class topic.

I learned on a bass which was advertised in Kerrang magazine in the late 80s. I bought it around 1988/1989, the make was Axe. Any body suffer the same pain please let me know....!

The ad in Kerrang was awful, bass being played by a huge bloke in a stage-esque setup - plugged into a battery amp 6 inches high with less power than a rooster fart.

It was all I could afford at the time as I was working as a part time fish gutter ; and second choice as I wanted the Axe drumkit but my folks just said "not this side of eternity Ringo"; (it was probably crap as well).

Looking back, bearing in mind I was literally just picking bass up from scratch - the sound was grim and never changed no matter what the tone control was set at, the bridge was held down by only four small screws (one in each corner) and when you brought it up to tune it came away from the body; I played out of tune as I learned on floppier strings than usual. The strap button on the top horn fell out after a month and got screwed back in to the back of the bass. I eventually stuck black insulating tape over the name on the headstock I was so embarrassed to be seen with it. I stopped short of wearing a brown bag over my head as I played it, but only because the drummer's kit was actually worse than my bass.

I really wish I had a photo of my early garage days . . . .. . . . . .you would laugh your ass off. Especially at the night we were raided by the police following neighbours complaints; they just left after laughing at the singers bad Axl Rose copy of Welcome to the jungle. 1 - 0 to the NWOBHM

My dad put me out of my misery after 12 months and picked me up from school and took me to the big guitar shop in the city and said pick one..... I got a gleaming frosted white Charvel/Jackson 4 string. Talk about parking a Robin reliant and driving away a Ferrari.

[quote name='WhoNeedsYou' timestamp='1359579858' post='1957079']
I have read many a page about nice basses, but out of curiousity what are amongst the worst you have owned?.....
[/quote]
The ones that appear regularly on a popular auction site for many many times more that i paid for them in the 70s and sold them for, usually because they were crap. :D

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1359582226' post='1957147']
I learned on a bass which was advertised in Kerrang magazine in the late 80s. I bought it around 1988/1989, the make was Axe. Any body suffer the same pain please let me know....!
[/quote]
They used to have an Axe Bass and Guitar at my school in the music room in the late '90s.I didn't know much about
basses then but I knew that my Tanglewood Rebel (the earlier model than the 4k) was a far better instrument. The Axe
was horrible.

Never really owned anything really terrible since I bought my first Fender Jazz about 10 years ago. Had a bit of a dog of a P-Bass, looked amazing, played like an old 60's P which I personally loved but the electronics were totally shitted and the coil wrap in the pup was broken and intermittently cut in and out. Fixed it up fine and got rid.

It's been a while since I even played a bass that was crap, yet casting my mind back, I can see a few Precision basses in the hazy past.

The worst bass I've owned? Not sure. Possibly a Fender Urge Standard bass. 32" scale active jazz bass with a poplar body. I only owned it for a week or so. I just couldn't get a good sound out of it unless all the controls were maxed out. Which was obviously utterly useless. It played well enough though. It ended up for sale again a couple of years later with some decent electronics in it, so someone obviously got some use out of it!

Late '60's, bought from a s/hand music shop in Addlestone for £20, a Vox Clubman bass; very short scale, fragile build, no real bass tone. probably what inspired me to play drums. No regrets in chopping it in for a Vox Continental organ, although maybe worth a couple of bob to Vox collectors now (if they're really that daft..?).

Edited by Dad3353

i've never owned anything tottaly cr*p, i've borrowed epi eb's and played a few cheapies but the worst one was actually a mex precision that a mate was trying to sell, it had hung on the wall of a local pub for years and sting had signed the scratchplate so my mate thought it must be worth a few quid, unfortunately no-one had taken the plastic off the scratchplate before getting it signed and the signature was wearing off, it had an action that you could get a bus under and sounded dreadful, last i saw of it was an advert on gumtree with an asking price of £1000!

by contrast one of the best p-basses i've played (with the exception of my 77) was a mex precision special (with the p/j pickups and a gold scratchplate) that belonged to another friend, it played like butter and sounded perfect. i don't think he'd part with it for 3 times it's street value!

Matt

[size=2](edited to try and improve the spelling, not sure if it's any better now though)[/size]

Edited by Matt P

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1359582226' post='1957147']
[/quote]

I so very much wanted one of those as my very first bass when I was 15. Saw them in Kerrang like yourself and left the page open on my bedroom floor as a hint. My dad, in his great wisdom, took me to Windows in Newcastle and helped my pick out an Aria Pro II ZZB Deluxe instead (used, a bargain at the time, looked very metal and weighed more than me). Not a crap bass by the way, but I was saved from one!