Why become a member? ×

how old is too old ....?

Black Coffee

I am falling for the mike lull t-bird 5 string bass.
Just loking at it makes me start thinking, how can i possibly afford that. Sell my car, wifes car......
Then i remember i am not as young as i used to be and it might look wrong. How old is too old for this absolutely mutts nutts piece of kit?
Ive never really been a fan of tbirds but this is calling me........

"Look wrong" to who, exactly?

I've walked on stage carrying a ridiculous variety of basses over the last few years. Not one punter has ever come up to me afterwards and said "[i]You looked really naff playing that[/i]". In all fairness, and for the sake of balance, I should also mention that not one punter has ever come up to me afterwards and said "[i]You looked really cool playing that[/i]" either.

Punters don't care.

Landlords don't care.

Your own bandmates don't care.

If you want it, then do it.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1359538017' post='1956165']

I've walked on stage carrying a ridiculous variety of basses over the last few years. Not one punter has ever come up to me afterwards and said "[i]You looked really naff playing that[/i]". In all fairness, and for the sake of balance, I should also mention that not one punter has ever come up to me afterwards and said "[b][i]You looked really cool playing that[/i][/b]" either.
[/quote]

Not even with a Ric? I think that's the only 'cool' comment I've ever had wrt to basses I've played, though one band member commented how nice the finish was on the Schecter I had for a while.

In answer to the OP, I think with things like this, if you don`t feel comfortable with a certain style bass, then don`t get one, because, as we all know, you`re largely invisible to the audience anyway. So don`t worry about what others think, if you have a blast playing a bass, buy it, play it, love it.

Re Jacks comments about people saying naff/cool, the only comments I`ve ever had about my basses was when I had a Les Paul Bass - the amount of comments about how cool that one looked was unbelievable, especially compared to the zero comments I`ve had about all of the others.

Of course - it looked like a guitar!

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1359538017' post='1956165']
"Look wrong" to who, exactly?

I've walked on stage carrying a ridiculous variety of basses over the last few years. Not one punter has ever come up to me afterwards and said "[i]You looked really naff playing that[/i]". In all fairness, and for the sake of balance, I should also mention that not one punter has ever come up to me afterwards and said "[i]You looked really cool playing that[/i]" either.

Punters don't care.

Landlords don't care.

Your own bandmates don't care.

If you want it, then do it.

:)
[/quote]

spot on Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1359538017' post='1956165']Punters don't care.

Landlords don't care.

Your own bandmates don't care.[/quote]

Or they're being polite. Or they're scared of you.

To be fair though most bass players seem to have horrific taste, so in comparison to most you could be wearing a trans-turquoise quilted maple gold hardware 14-string bass and still only look like an average berk.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1359535596' post='1956126']
I am falling for the mike lull t-bird 5 string bass.
Just loking at it makes me start thinking, how can i possibly afford that. Sell my car, wifes car......
Then i remember i am not as young as i used to be and it might look wrong. How old is too old for this absolutely mutts nutts piece of kit?
Ive never really been a fan of tbirds but this is calling me........
[/quote]

Go on - show us a picture- maybe a photoshop mock up thingy, then we can see how daft/cool it looks!!!

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1359551554' post='1956436']
As a few have said before, you only live once - go get it NOW before it's too late and someone else gets it.
[/quote]
yup how would you feel if it gets snapped up while you dither ?

don't forget to post pics.

Oh dear ! When I light - heartedly suggested on here that these basses should be for people under 30 years old I was met with a stream of - well , I couldn't really call it abuse - certainly protestation that I was talking bollocks . Tread carefully my friend , there are a lot of folks who are a bit touchy on this subject !

Bottom line is , you can only please one person so please yourself . If you really want one and you can afford it then buy one . I like them too , but somehow they're not quite " me " . And as others have pointed out , nobody else really cares or notices what bass you are playing . Within reason ...

For the first time in my life I had the same thought as I decided I finally ought to own a T-Bird late last year (I'm 47). I kept wondering 'But hang on, aren't they a young rockers thing?'. Then I remembered Entwistle. You can make any bass work if you approach it right. Crikey, my last few gigs were with my trusty Steinberger L2. I say make your own vibe and do your own thing. Play with confidence and you'll make it work.