Why become a member? ×

New ESP. Help needed

Lord Sausage

Hi, i ain't very technically minded, so forgive terminology and stupid questions but....
i ordered an ESP 5 string fretless of Thomann 2 weeks ago and it came today. I immediately noticed the nut. The grooves in the nut were the strings go seem to have been cut to deep. To the point were the string, especially the B, is practically or is sitting on the fingerboard. This isn't good, right? I think i need to send it back, here are some pics so you can reassure and advise me please. Your help woul dbe greatly appreciated.
[attachment=126341:DSCF5291.JPG]
[attachment=126340:DSCF5292.JPG]
[attachment=126339:DSCF5294.JPG]
[attachment=126338:DSCF5296.JPG]
[attachment=126336:DSCF5299.JPG]

ESP are usually very well built and well quality controlled, however, when I stocked them a few years back I did have a guitar with the neck set at the wrong angle so things do go wrong.

This does look wrong to me - looks like our Ebay friend MDP has been at it :o

I'd contact Thomann and tell them - a bit of money back to allow you to get a new nut fitted would probably be the best bet.

The B guide does look very low, as if it could get any lower. However, My Status fretless basses have the string come out the nut right onto the end of the fingerboard. Spose it just depends how it feels to you, that's all that matters.

Status nut

You are very lucky. Most companies use stock fretted nuts on their fretless basses which is terrible news. That there is what a fretless nutt should look like. As with any instrument, fretted or fretless, the amount of pressure needed to fret at the 1st fret should the bare minimum without buzzing. Ideally a fretless should take off from the end of the fingerboard but that is the absolute ideal and rarely works out quite that way.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1359493377' post='1955749']
The B guide does look very low, as if it could get any lower. However, My Status fretless basses have the string come out the nut right onto the end of the fingerboard. Spose it just depends how it feels to you, that's all that matters.

Status nut

Those strings are too big for the slots and are not seated properly (judging by the photo).
[/quote]

The b does look a little low but if the string isn't wearing any kind of groove in the board it's ok. The other strings look fine if indeed a little high to be honest. You can always stick something under the b string. Tin foil works so I've heard and once it's in there you'll forget all about it probably. If the nut is removable (I rarely glue nuts in place) you can always shim the whole thing but then you'd have to take the other slots down a slither. I would definately say that the seller hasn't tried to dupe you and nuts do need replacing sometimes and it's a 10 minute job for a decent builder/tech and seriously shouldn't cost you more than £30 to have done.
Just been told that I now own the record for most amount of 'ands' in a single sentence.

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1359494620' post='1955775']
You are very lucky. Most companies use stock fretted nuts on their fretless basses which is terrible news. That there is what a fretless nutt should look like. As with any instrument, fretted or fretless, the amount of pressure needed to fret at the 1st fret should the bare minimum without buzzing. Ideally a fretless should take off from the end of the fingerboard but that is the absolute ideal and rarely works out quite that way.
[/quote]
Thank you very much John. My next bass purchase will be off you. When i come off tour later this year hopefully i will have enough spare cash to get one of you works of art.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1359494672' post='1955778']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Those strings are too big for the slots and are not seated properly (judging by the photo).[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Better speak to Chris McIntyre about that. He set it up and it plays beautifully.

• 2 weeks later...

So i've took it in to be set up. As the B rattles and the A does at 1 and the G is a bit dead at 5. The guy said he'll do set up and that he may posibly have to do a kind of fret dress, even though it's fretless, not sure what he means. He said after altering truss rod etc some the neck may need smoothing out in places. I trust the guy as my mate has had loads of gtrs set up by him really well and an ovation acoustic sorted. Anyone heard of what he means?...apologies for piss poor description!

Edited by Lord Sausage