Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF-800

indiegrungesound

I think a lot of the companies doing D Class heads are aiming for this new output power. I guess that it's the next step up in the evolution of the technology vs size war. Genz Benz and Gallien Krueger both have 800W-ish heads as well as TC Electronic's RH750 going for a similar output power.

I think it's handy to have that headroom should you need it. With ref to the PF500 'breaking up' - it's the preamp section that is driving a bit. Sadly, D Class power amp distortion is actually pretty nasty - if it's breaking up, it doesn't do it nicely like a valve amp. I guess with the PF800, it will sound the same when the preamp starts getting dirty - you'll just be able to turn it up louder to hear the preamp doing it's biz! :)

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1372780086' post='2129891']
Just wondering if anyone knows the output of the PF800 at 8ohms? My PF500 only pushes out 350W through a single cab so I imagine the ratio is similar (around the 500W mark). :)
[/quote]

The user manual on Ampegs site says 400 watts at 8ohms.

• 4 weeks later...

Been using a PF800 for a few weeks now and really like it. Found I need to cut the output on the guitar to get best results. I love the weight, which really was the main reason for purchasing. I'm using it with two pro neo 2 x 10's.
Graham

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1372788377' post='2130047']
The user manual on Ampegs site says 400 watts at 8ohms.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. It had this in the review in Bass Guitar Magazine as well, which said all the PF series amps needed was a tube pre-amp... so I've just got an EBS Valve Drive to go with my PF500. I'll let you know how I get on. :D