Why become a member? ×

Short & Long Scale Bass?

onemanband

Hi,
Just wondering how many successfully play both long & short scale basses.
I played a short scale Gibson SG for some time, but recently moved to a Yamaha BB1024 (34") which I do prefer.
However, I love my little Gibson and took it for a "run out" the other day but it felt really strange and cramped after the long scale; so much so that I am reluctantly considering selling it and putting the funds towards a five string long scale.
So........ does anyone successfully play both, or is it a match made in hell?

Cheers.........Brian

Similar experience. I played my Musicmaster exclusively until I got my Mex Precision deluxe a couple of years ago since I've barely picked up the Musicmaster. I've been thinking of digging it out again for at least a rehearsal but I suspect it will feel a bit strange.

I have basses with 30", 32" 33.5"(whatever a Ric is) and 34" scale lengths and swap between them with no problems at all, I find that the way a bass hangs with the neck in relation to the body makes more of a difference, had a Hohner cricket bat bass and the lower frets always felt more of a reach than other 34" scale basses because of the way it hung. Just took a few seconds to get used to again though.

I play 34" (occasionally 35") and 30", fretted and fretless, 4 and 5 string in different bands. It takes a few minutes to recalibrate but isn't a problem. Mind you I only play one or the other with each band. I'd probably get messed up a bit swapping between them in the same gig. I should stress that I'm not some sort of bass god - so anybody can do it. Different basses are good for different situations, don't let something like scale length put you off using a bass if it delivers the sound you need.

Edited by ikay

At home, I swap between guitars, medium and long scale basses and drums with no real after effects. They're just slightly different, that's all. The more you swap, the less of a bug-bear, I would suggest. Remember Rutherford and his double-necks..?

I have 30.75 short scale and 34 inch 5 and 4 string basses and changing between them is no problem as i use them for specific songs. Changing between basses having different string spacing on a gig is more awkward.

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

Hi Brian,

Stay with it, I'd say. You mention you got the Yammie "recently", and I think it's the keyword. Adapting is all about playing experience, so-called muscle memory and being used to having to adapt. Practise and don't limit yourself to one "feel" only. The latter IME is murderous for your ability to adapt.

This stuff is in fact my reason for collecting basses faster than 1 bass per chapter in Bass For Dummies. To me, a task is only mastered when it's mastered on every bass - including badly set-up ones. :)
As a teacher, I've always made sure my pupils had to change instruments and other conditions, just so they would become sturdy in their craft. Piano pupils for example would be asked to play the same tune on an electronic keyboard as well. Helped them a lot.

best,
bert

I played Gibson EB-SG basses on and off for going on 44 years, and recently went back to the long scale bass. No more short scale. I don't have a problem with either one, I just prefer the long scale. Short scale aren't as easy to find the variety of string types as long scale for one thing.

Thanks all for your input; some interesting and useful comments and opinions; thanks for taking the time.
Truth is, I love the feel of the [I](new to me)[/I] long scale option and I can't see me going back to a short scale, despite the Gibson SG being a very fine instrument.
Onwards and upwards!!
Cheers..........Brian

PS. Gibson SG bass for sale... :D

[i] my first "proper"( it had a name!) bass was a Fender Mustang shorty, bought cheap following a fire/flood at the local music shop. This was followed by an Aria SB 600 which is real big boy - quite a difference !![/i]

[i]a couple of years ago I tried a Mustang again - I reckon the are 30" scale , and the size of the body and neck felt almost toy- like - although it has to be said I've somewhat incresed in size over the years, so the comparative proportions have altered. :blush: [/i]

[i]I recently got the Squier VM Telecaster bass at 32" scale & that feels just fine to me , body has been sized to one for bass and neck doesn't feel much different to a standard scale and suits my wee fat fingers just fine.[/i]

[i]any thoughts on suitable string replacements?[/i]

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1359397266' post='1954175']
Thanks all for your input; some interesting and useful comments and opinions; thanks for taking the time.
Truth is, I love the feel of the [i](new to me)[/i] long scale option and I can't see me going back to a short scale, despite the Gibson SG being a very fine instrument.
Onwards and upwards!!
Cheers..........Brian

PS. Gibson SG bass for sale... :D
[/quote]

Don't Gibson do a long scale version of the SG Bass? Or is it just Epiphone?