Why become a member? ×

Why do some people refer to their bass as 'she'?!

tedmanzie

I imagine you may prefer to start naming your basses something - not necessarily a woman's name - when you've got more than one of the same type, e.g. fretted 4. Unless they all have different model names which you can remember, that is.
As I said above, my first three basses initially had male names. Why male? For the same reason that you guys think of your basses as female: you get into some sort of cosy physicality with your instrument, and you often describe it as looking sexy, so thinking of a bass as somehow belonging to the opposite sex probably comes reasonably natural to a straight musician, I imagine. I've never been able to refer to any bass as "he", though, unless in a tongue-in-cheek way.
The reason why I stopped that naming thing is that, at least at the moment, each of my basses is different from all the others, with no doubles except my student bass ("Barry"), so I don't need names to tell them apart, saying "the fretted 5" will suffice.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1359371398' post='1953554']
What wrong with having conversations with my Captain Winky? He's my best mate :blink:[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]There should be a whole new 'what do you or your partner call your cock?' thread! Meanwhile... 'Professor Squirty'.[/size]
[size=4]...I'll get me underpants. [/size][size=4] :unsure:[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359373599' post='1953610']
[/size]
[size=4]There should be a whole new 'what do you or your partner call your cock?' thread! Meanwhile... 'Professor Squirty'.[/size]
[/quote]
No my other half has a different name but that's erm personal :unsure:
I named him Percy when i was about 4 years old but now he goes By Capt Winky !

anyway back on topic
:mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359373599' post='1953610']
[/size]
[/quote] This kind of bawdy humour is more suited to the Barrack Room. I don't want it shoved down my throat here!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1359382791' post='1953838']
I am SO not going to mention Joe Orton ...
[/quote]

Or Kenneth Halliwell..?

[quote name='iamapirate' timestamp='1359388196' post='1953967']
I had the nickname of Clam for a while, and so it seemed natural to call my pearl blizzard fender 'Pearl'...[/quote]

It was only the word 'Fender' that made me realise you weren't still talking about 'parts'...
[size=4]'Pearl Blizzard' is the Euphemism of the Day - well done! [/size] :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1359201602' post='1951438']
You know the sort of the thing.. "I've had her for ten years now but I've got my eye on a new bass so she's got to go, a lovely neck with great fat sound, she's a real players bass"...

etc.

Yuk.
When people refer to their basses / cars / boats etc as 'she' it makes me squirm.
If I wanted to refer to inanimate things as 'she' (or 'he') I'd move to France, Italy or Spain where they do it properly.
So can you stop it please, or I'm leaving the country.
[/quote]

I think it's a term of endearment. Even Hitler referred to Germany as 'she', because he loved the country (even though he was an austrian). I don't really refer to anything as she or even he unless it is a living thing. I normally just call my possessions 'It'

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359394143' post='1954097']
What, the Fatherland..? :D
[/quote]

Yes... he also called it that, but let's not forget he was completely off his rocker, and some psychologists would say he called it the fatherland because of something in his upbringing. Can't remember exactly what they said.

Don't think he did even. The wartime government told the British public Hitler called Germany 'The Fatherland' for propaganda purposes... not sure how that would work. [size=4]Of course I may have dreamt all this - I can't be bothered to Google it. Seig Heil![/size]