Why become a member? ×

Are drums easy?

lowdowner

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1359158366' post='1951103']...And other bollocks stuff as well.[/quote]

Sounds like we're on the same wave-length..! We might even get on together, one never knows..! ([i]Although, upon reflection, perhaps not. I can be a right sod most of the time. Forget it. As you were[/i]...)

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1359160444' post='1951126']
If you're anything like me I can't stand you already.
[/quote]

No, seriously; maple or birch..? What's your bpm..? How many tuned china crashes should one consider as a minimum for metal, or folk, or both..? Sticks, hot rods, brushes or timpani bobbly things..? Are all bassists always dumb, or only most of them..? No, seriously... :mellow:

Unlike other instruments, I think with drums some people can have a natural knack. And this natural feel for the instrument will get you to a certain level quite quickly and easily. Going from there onwards though is much more difficult, and needs as much practice and tuition as any other instrument.

I started playing drums when I was a kid. I was coming on quite well, until I did my first performance. I was absolutely battered after 30mins and I decided it was too physically demanding, so I moved onto guitar. I was a lazy sod when I was a kid! If I showed a bit more dedication back then I am sure I would be drummer right now.

once bought a drum kit, the most difficult thing I found was dissociating my hi hat hand from my kick drum foot, ie, when playing quarters on my hi hat I couldn't play dum dumdum dum dumdum on the kick drum, got there in the end though, then got fed up and sold the kit, I found it boring playing drums, especially when not in a band

I have tried before & although I can actually hold a basic beat, but no way could I do what a drummer does, the same as a mate of mine who plays drums he will play a basic E string plod along bass line He is totally lost when it comes to doing fills.

We all have our own skills sets Bass is my bag man.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1359135704' post='1950581']

I had a heated conversation with a muso friend who claimed that some instruments are very much inherently easier to learn and play than others, and drums were particularly easy.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can he play drums then?

All instruments are easy to play. No instrument is easy to play well.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1359150886' post='1950968']
and to prove what fun it is - here is my mother after she found my drum kit in the back room :)

[/quote]Is she available for a dep in April? €90, all drinks and a meal. Our drummer is available but your mum looks cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

I always get stuck when picking up a drum stick, how do you hold it.
Then someone shows me something to play, and I can play that well and then try and vary it and it all falls to pieces.

I guess I have awful rhythm which is odd for a bassist. It's odd, I lived with a pro musician for a bit, and we would muck around with basses and guitars and so on in the house- he pointed out that I picked a guitar my timing was spot on, I strum and it goes all over the place. Really odd, I never had to work on timing or rhythm much on the bass, I could just pick it up and make it do what I could hear in my head without thinking. Other instruments - man they are hard.

Drumming is a skill though, I couldn't do it.
Mind you it's also one of those instruments that unless you learn to keep time well you are better off staying at home.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1359469966' post='1955208']
All instruments are easy to play. No instrument is easy to play well.
[/quote]

yeah probably that sums it up for me but almost everything thats been said here is true to me to some extent. i've played/currently play drums, bass or guitar in different bands and have done a couple of solo recordings where i play them all and for me they can all be easy or hard depending on the style of music etc or the type of player you are/strive to be

i learnt to play drums tapping on the desks at school, once i got the hang of the basic co-ordination i tried it on a kit and it felt pretty natural to do take it from there with what i'd already learned. thats my favourite thing with drums over other instruments and in a sense of whats easier to learn; in order to learn or work something out on drums you don't really need to be anywhere near a drum kit. even now with the band i play drums in weekly most of the stuff i play in rehearsal has been thought out beforehand and practiced on my knees or my desk at work or whatever so once i get to the kit its all pretty much sorted

that said, my dad was a drummer for years and my whole family are musical so maybe there's something in that too! we all seem to have a pretty good sense of rythm maybe just from being around music so much growing up.

i do remember teaching a few different friends at school via the (patent pending!) desk drumming method and some people pick it up soooo quick, others struggle but i've never had anyone that just couldn't. also over the years with work, i've found it sooo much easier to show someone the basics of drumming than the basics of guitar or bass, just seems easier to explain somehow and get them to a stage of being able to play something that makes them feel like they're getting somewhere without wanting to quit cuz its too hard!

so yeah for me it was easier to learn or get started cuz i didn't need to buy anything! i was able to teach myself all the basic ground work stuff before i went near a kit so in that sense its easier (and way more annoying for everyone around you - "matt, for gods sake please stop tapping" is still often yelled at me!)

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1359143323' post='1950797']
I actually think that most pop/rock instruments are easy to play a bit, but to play them in a killer way is a serious undertaking.
[/quote]
True dat. There's a massive difference between simply getting a sound out of an instrument and [i]playing[/i] it...

Edited by paul_5