Why become a member? ×

PRS are trying basses again.

Dr M

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1362038963' post='1994722']
That's a very poor ergonomic design from nearly every angle.
[/quote]

...... and you have played how many? You don't state why you believe so, or indeed how many PRS basses you have actually had contact with ?

They are remarkably easy to play (especially if your prefereance is P or Stingray size necks), and balance fantastically. In fact the only bass that I have played that was easier and left me wanting one was not even a tradional design - The Status Streamline.

I think its fair to say that your comment is merely unnecasarily confrontational...?

Edited by The Burpster

[quote name='The Burpster' timestamp='1362257394' post='1997756']
...... and you have played how many? You don't state why you believe so, or indeed how many PRS basses you have actually had contact with ?

They are remarkably easy to play (especially if your prefereance is P or Stingray size necks), and balance fantastically. In fact the only bass that I have played that was easier and left me wanting one was not even a tradional design - The Status Streamline.

I think its fair to say that your comment is merely unnecasarily confrontational...?
[/quote]

Well it's all subjective, but a 'baseball bat' neck, a top horn that doesn't reach to the 12th fret and a bottom horn that curls in like a fender are all things I don't like but I concede there are some people, like yourself, who like that. If you've got 7 of them that means you must like them... so I bow to your greater experience. I'm not trying to start a war or anything. :blush:

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1362336140' post='1998575']
Well it's all subjective, but a 'baseball bat' neck, a top horn that doesn't reach to the 12th fret and a bottom horn that curls in like a fender are all things I don't like but I concede there are some people, like yourself, who like that. If you've got 7 of them that means you must like them... so I bow to your greater experience. I'm not trying to start a war or anything. :blush:
[/quote]

No probs bud, I cant be arsed with confrontation anymore and hence I hung up my Mod hat. I'll grant u that the neck looks thick but in use its nowhere near as deep as say a Warwick or Ovation Magnum. Its not as fast a neck as a J bass but then its not like big Fender neck - kinda a compromise.

The top bout doesnt need to extend to the 12fret if the Neck is light -,and it is so it balances perfectly where it is. The bottom bout leaves plenty of room even for a hamifisted tw4t like me to play at the dusty end ot the neck without restriction or uncomfortable stretching.

I conceed that at 6'1" and 110kg I am a big unit but in my hands they feel as close to perfect that you can get with the traditional layout bass....

Edited by The Burpster

• 9 months later...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1359160632' post='1951130']
To be fair though, if you were having an instrument made to your exacting specs you shouldn't really be considering the resale value. Why have it made if you're even considering selling it? Even a little bit?
[/quote]

Because at some point in the future something might come along that you would really really like to have? And in some situations that might mean moving on something that you have right now?

• 2 months later...

Well...

Spent an hour with a GG4 today.

And, they're certainly wonderful.

I own both vintage style basses and modern basses (in the same week last month, I picked up a Status Kingbass and a Fender Nate Mendel...)

This is a marriage of both ideas.

Build quality was flawless - as expected.

I managed to get most sounds from it - the preamp isn't as wild as I'd expected; very subtle but effective.

As heard/seen/mentioned there is a Hi-Fi element at first, but it can be tamed - minor oversight is the lack of a passive tone, especially in the company it'll be keeping price wise.

The only sticking point for me was the satin feel on the neck; like a Musicman style satin - needs wearing in or buffing. Asked if there was a gloss/finished option, and it 'could be looked into'.

The neck profile made me think of a Musicman sterling. A bit deep back to front vs narrow width for my particular tastes, but not something I'd struggle getting used to, just not like any of my current basses.

The bass I played had seemingly endless sustain, was resonant in neck and body and was not heavy at all.

I know you can buy more personalised basses, and there are 100's of fantastic UK luthiers who will make you one or even two custom basses for the asking price of one of these PRS instruments.

But if you're of that mind, you won't be seeking one out.

If you have the money and want to try something or buy something which feels very special without being necessarily "just for you" them I'd certainly check one out.

Hope this helped...

http://instagram.com/p/kE_mEuuQVa/
http://instagram.com/p/kFCDP-uQX0/

Andy