Why become a member? ×

Best cab evaaaar ??

hamfist

Barefaced for looks, vox for tone.

Actually the Vox was another bands, my rig is a guitar head and a bass head into separate cabs, my bass has separate outputs for its pickups, so I cover guitar and bass area, and balance them with volumes, and do all sorts of feedback tricks with them.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1360090571' post='1964735']
Barefaced for looks, vox for tone.

Actually the Vox was another bands, my rig is a guitar head and a bass head into separate cabs, my bass has separate outputs for its pickups, so I cover guitar and bass area, and balance them with volumes, and do all sorts of feedback tricks with them.
[/quote]

Sounds good, although the big barefaced for dirt a bit OTT??? no?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1360094699' post='1964816']
Sounds good, although the big barefaced for dirt a bit OTT??? no?
[/quote]

Its much lighter than my other options of guitar cabs. Plus it isn't for dirt, its for a whole guitar worth of sound, both rigs aren't necessarily playing at once.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1359108660' post='1949902']
This is about as subjective as it gets given the wide variety of basses/amps/etc but for me, the Boogie Diesel 2x15. Like the Bass 400 it instantly removed any desire to play through anything else and has been exactly the same for nigh on quarter of a century.

It's so good that I continue to drag it around despite all the lighter etc options available because I still get the very same buzz every time I hear it as I did when I very first played through it.
[/quote]

Same here Steve, had my 2x15 diesel since 1987... The woodwork is shot but only had one recone each since 87 and one time was coz my boy stuck a screwdriver through it!
I took a break when I got a Markbass 1x15 and a 2x10 on the top as they are really light.... One day, I decided just to try out the 2x15 Mesa Boogie that had been sitting un-used in my garage for the last year.... well..... Never went back to the Markbass cabs again - sold them in fact.
E.V speakers are the dogs... Totally dry and un-coloured, is how I describe them!

• 2 months later...

perhaps not the best ever but dr bass 2460 three way cab is a tone monster....not the deepest bass but sooo nice
my pair of berg 12s are nice but can't quite match 2460....just a shame it weighes 65lbs....still,not as bad as
some 410s.....90lbs
i suppose its alot like EAD foundation 212.....doesn't look as posh tho.

[quote name='TommyK' timestamp='1359105940' post='1949841']
I have a BF Super 15 and I no longer have Cab GAS. 100% cured (no really, it is!) Sounds perfect, very loud, looks good and I can carry it, what can be improved??
[/quote]

This. Best speaker I've ever heard a bass through, period.

• 1 year later...

The Epifani UL D.I.S.T. 410
I playing myself through two Epifani 112 D.I.S.T. Cabs and the Epifani UL501.
On a big stage i'm to short of power with this setup in a bluesrockband with the dist cabs, and i'm playing through the UL D.I.S.T. 410 and the UL501. A great combination and a huge pressure on stage. For me the ultimate cab.

Edited by viss1700

Without having to consider weight, storage or portability, or it being too loud. An Ampeg 8x10.

But unfortunately that's not a possibility. Meanwhile, the BF super compact, keeps on winning for me ATM.
Every time I get a little bout of GAS I use it at a gig or rehearsal and I remember how great it is.

I am thinking of getting one of the new retro 2 10 though hahaha.

I am currently in favour of a 212 and 210 on top.
I run the 212 at 4 and the 210 at 8..but can add another 210 if I want/need to..
and I haven't so far.
This rig will produce around 800/950w but I doubt I'll get aware near that and the cabs
fill so that is a lot of bass to control.
I like the slamming element of the 212 plus the cut of the 210.. I'll have the horns
on at least half and I'll be hearing some back through the monitors and P.A but
the size of the rig means it will do most of the work for me. Various fills will spread it around
abit but I don't need big bass through the monitors and the Sound guys appreciate that...

A very common mistake I hear time and time again ( so often it is ridiculous ) is that the bass is loud enough but doesn't drive the band
at all. I can pin this down to the basses they use and how they EQ them, but the bottom line is bass should
underpin the band and people are so concerned with cutting through the mix... the forget that they should actually
have the whole mix sitting on their foundations..and it really shouldn't be mush..

This is why small cabs can run out of steam... in that you EQ them to be heard rather than do the job they really should be for.
If you are a powerful band and drums will probably determine this, then you'll need your cab to reach the other side of the stage
so your band can hear it..and feel it .and play to it.. and not have a honky squalk..
A decent soundman will not mind power, he will mind any problems that come with it...so this is why you want a loud cab
which is there, but not too much THERE that he can't control it.
But, it is easier for him to have the bass player playing through a tin can as he doesn't have to deal with that and it wont get out front which is what he mostly cares about. Doesn't always help the band tho....
The default stance tends to be if the band don't know what they are doing... the soundman will make it easy for himself at least
and little boxes suit him fine.
Most drummers now want a 'kicker' on any sort of stage as it helps them get the whole band stage vibe... and if you hear/feel better, you'll more than likely play better.

I've only ever owned 2 cabs - an Ashdown ABM 4x10 (which I thought sounded great but was rather heavy) and my current Zoot 4x10 (which I think sounds great, is nice and light, but I'm thinking it's a bit bulky). Scheming to replace with 2x1x12 modular rig.

But right now my "best" cab is the Zoot. Which of course means a Purple Chili now.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1404475906' post='2492953']
I've only ever owned 2 cabs - an Ashdown ABM 4x10 (which I thought sounded great but was rather heavy) and my current Zoot 4x10 (which I think sounds great, is nice and light, but I'm thinking it's a bit bulky). Scheming to replace with 2x1x12 modular rig.

But right now my "best" cab is the Zoot. Which of course means a Purple Chili now.
[/quote]

I have a 2x 112 purple chilli setup at the moment... Sounds great and the cabs are super light but they are still quite big.

Edited by CamdenRob