Why become a member? ×

Best cab evaaaar ??

hamfist

My BF Vintage is the best cab that [i]I've[/i] ever played through. Clean and clear. As loud as you want it to be. Nice and big (I just don't [i]trust[/i] small cabs...). And it's a one-hand lift! I've also tried using it with keyboards (immense sound) and as a PA cab - beautifully clear and full. Ticks all my boxes!

But I'd still love to try an EAD Foundation 212... :gas:

If I ever played on a stage and venue large enough to need one then I can't think of anything I'd rather have than an Ampeg 8x10.

Meanwhile, back in the real world. . .

Aguilar 12's do it for me. A pair of DB's with a Matching DB750 head or, for an amazing sounding lightweight solution the SL's with a Tone Hammer 500.

Only others that come close are Bag Ends but they are generally a little too heavy for me these days :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1359129765' post='1950387']
If I ever played on a stage and venue large enough to need one then I can't think of anything I'd rather have than an Ampeg 8x10.

Meanwhile, back in the real world. . .

Aguilar 12's do it for me. A pair of DB's with a Matching DB750 head or, for an amazing sounding lightweight solution the SL's with a Tone Hammer 500.

[/quote]

I'd go with this, Barrie, only I'd swap the Ampeg 810 for a DB810.... Was also rather partial to the Mesa 1516, but I think the DB series does it.
DB750 plus 2xDB210 is tops...and the only thing I would want above it is a DB610..WHICH THEY STILL DON'T MAKE so that might put an NV610 in there.

I have never owned, but played through a Bergantino AE410. Ticks every box for me. Clarity, punch, power handling, great acoustic projection and tone. A very good performance cab...IMHO the best 410 cab ever. Been thinking about buying a HD410, but haven't made the time to pop up to Bass Direct to try one yet. I have been encouraged by other players to replace my EBS Proline 410 with the Berg as EBS amps love them, apparently. But, I consider the Proline 410 to be the best cab I have ever owned, along with the Neo 210 and 212 that I also have. The exchange will be more than likely if think the HD410 is on par with the AE410. It's a pain that 2nd hand AE cabs almost never come onto the market. Tells you a lot about how much they are loved by their owners!

I haven't tried BF,Aguilar DB(not enough anyway),Bergantino so that leaves some great builders out,but the best I've tried yet must be Mesaboogie Carbine combo/powerhouse 2x12.Same soft warm sound as Peavey TVX but moreopen,responsive and evensounding.

Edited by Anders

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1359107614' post='1949876']
The Mesa powerhouse and Bergantno NV610 are probably the nicest cabs I've ever played through, unfortunately I didn't own either of them!! :-(
[/quote]

+1 for the Mesa. Was never really a huge fan of theirs (400+ aside) till I got lucky and landed a Mesa rig here in New Zealand. Wow, what a sound! Downside being that I dont have a road crew to shift it (8x10 I mean)! I like the 2x10 Powerhouse I got also.
It's definately one of the best set-ups I've ever used or even heard. That said, Ampeg 610HLF, 210microVR and Marshall VBC 4x12 are all pretty awesome cabs too!!!

The best cab I have ever had the pleasure of playing through was an old Mesa Boogie, part of the backline at a pub we used to regularly play. If my memory serves me correctly it had a 15", a 10" and a 6" - plus a horn. You could either run 2 amps into it, splitting the 15" from the others, or send one amp to all speakers. It was simply the best sound I have ever heard. I tried to contact the venue when I found out is was closing down but I was too late, it was already a Costa Coffee... :(

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1359160649' post='1951131']
Trace Elliot V-type 1248H 4x12"......[/quote]

Same here. I loved my 1248H, unfortunately my back didn't agree. Despite it's weight (45kg), it had a great sound - still miss it. Somewhere in Norway now I think.
More sensibly weighted BF Compact more than suffices now. :)