Why become a member? ×

Best cab evaaaar ??

hamfist

OK, there's a concurrently running best amp ever thread. So why not an equally subjective and argumentative best cab thread ?

I was very interested that by the 3rd page of the other thread, despite many folks mentioning cabs, no one had mentioned any of the uber light, uber high excursion cone, uber expensive cabs. Barefaced anyone ?

So, money, weight, roadies, storage ... all no issue. What's the best evaaaaar cab, for playing a variety of amps with, and a variety of styles ??

Edited by hamfist

Of any single cab I've owned (and I've had lots) the most impressed I've been is with the EA CLX112. Relatively light weight, LOUD and deep but not woolly. Great stand alone cab but to use two of them you did need an amp that went down to 2Ohms. The Genx Neox 2x12 is a super cab, very light, and loud!
Out off all the cabs I've owned they're the ones that do it for me.

I loved the sound I had from the Eden 410XLT and 210XLT I had when running together with the WT800 that I had at the time, a very full sound, huge range, made everything I played sound awesome!

I like my Genz Shuttle 9.0 and pair of Epi UL2-112 cabs now and they do sound superb 'in the mix' but I've a hankering for an S12-T or an EAD Foundation 212, I know there's more sound to be had cos I had it with the back breaking Eden stuff!

I'll second the EA CXL 112 as the best sounding all-rounder run around cab. But the BF Midget is under half the weight, smaller and almost has the same sonic capability...just get s a bit more mid-barky as it gets louder and hasn't got the lowest lows until its turned up a bit (eq or volume...or both). I turned the tweeter off, so the highs aren't part of my bass playing needs - but the CXL also reproduced acoustic guitar/violin exceptionally well with the tweeter turned up about half way. Great cab, but EA's current products don't look as impressive to me.

I'd love to try some Acme B1's one day

OK, I'll confess: money, weight, storage aside? I'd have my 810 fridge back. There, I said it. I feel better for that.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I've tried lots of other cabs over the last three years, GAS being what it is, but none of them (including a Super12T I borrowed, good as it is) have made me want to sell my Schroeder 1515L. A very particular, Marmite voicing which doesn't suit every amp or everybody, but I like it, especially with a LMIII and my Streamliner. I've bought and sold a dozen basses or more, and half a dozen amps in the time I've had it, but it's stayed.

Edited by Muzz

This is about as subjective as it gets given the wide variety of basses/amps/etc but for me, the Boogie Diesel 2x15. Like the Bass 400 it instantly removed any desire to play through anything else and has been exactly the same for nigh on quarter of a century.

It's so good that I continue to drag it around despite all the lighter etc options available because I still get the very same buzz every time I hear it as I did when I very first played through it.

Barefaced Big Twin T by a country mile, beats out Ampeg 8x10, 2x10s by GK and Line 6, 4x10's by TE, 1x15 + 2x10 by Marshall in my personal experience, and 25 years as a studio engineer recording almost everything on the market.

I'll not be changing this cab anytime soon, although I may have to buy another one....!

Well... if i didn't change for the better i would be stupid so i got to go for what i own. Up to now the Barefaced S12T is the best cab i've owned and heard and there isn't much left out there for me to try... ok, maybe the Barefaced Big Twin T could be a bit more full range but i found the S12T to be more suitable for a normal pub stage as the Big Twin will work better on the outdoors or in big rooms.

Bergantino ae410

Yes, in a straight A/B over a few hours in a band setting it even beat the Barefaced Super12T tonewise (for me - this stuff is subjective as hell). Clearly the S12T is lighter, but that isnt the point of this pointless survey ;)

It is my absolute dream bass tone, whatever style/technique I've used with it. Thats why I own one.

If I played differently or had a need for (much) more low end (which I really dont) then maybe the Barefaced Bigtwin would get a look in.

Best cabs [i]ever[/i]? Check out the Meyer cabs that Anthony Jackson uses.

After reading about how AJ invented and evolved the 6 string bass and worked to perfect his Fodera, I know he's got better ears than the rest of us put together.

He could use anything in the world and he chose Meyer as the best so I'll believe him.

Best cabs [i]I've[/i] played?

Bergantino.