Why become a member? ×

What's the Best Amp Ever?

Sean

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1359125521' post='1950269']
For me, Aguilar DB750!

After having tried many, many amps, the DB750 does it for me, not overly heavy and plenty of power and weight to each note. Had one, sold it and soon bought another one as nothing came close to the Aguilar.

Ampeg SVT Classic is really nice too I have to say.
[/quote]

This! Awesome amp the aguilar! Also love there now it would appear discontinued ag500.

Also after trying one the other day the orange ad200b is outstanding!!!!!

Trying to remember all the amps I've played through:

Hartke Transient Attack 1000
Very good bang to buck ratio, clear, defined sound - not as good as something like an EBS but good nonetheless, would have one again if money dictated. Ate pre-amp tubes though, I wonder if mine had a slight fault in that regard.

Aguilar DB750
Very nice amp, deep, smooth and punchy sound - very 'tubey' for a hybrid head. Was a bit too clean and polite for the band I was in at the time, but would consider one now, a bit heavy if I recall correctly.

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Had a decent sound, but just struck me as a bit dull - particulary compared to the Aguilar and, like the DB750 it wasn't clear enough for my needs back then.

Markbass Littlemark Tube
Good amp, took me a fair bit if fiddling to get a sound I really liked, but when I did it was great - came quite close to getting one.

EBS Fafner
Bought this straight away after trying it, unlike the Ampeg, Aguilar and Markbass I gelled with it immediately and found it had a tone I loved - clear and defined without sounding sterile and lifeless. The filters were very powerful too, reminded me more of studio EQs than an amp; if space and money restrictions were different I'd love to have one again, particularly the new 2 channel version.

Mesa 400+
Used a mate's for a gig when I thought my Fafner had died - turned out to be a cable. A bit like the Aguilar: deep, sooth and very clean sound, whilst is was a very good sound it struck me as a bit of a one trick poney - but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Marshall VBA400
Was the house amp at the Download Festival when I played, had a big sound, but wasn't defined enough for my tastes, ended up wishing I'd put my foot down and brought my Hartke with me.

Ashdown ABM Evo III
I really liked this, far more versatile than I thought it would be, particularly liked the sound when the pre-amp was pushed into grindy overdrive. Reliability issues and the lack of rack mount put me off a bit though and it still would've lost out to the EBS.

Orange Bass Terror 500
Very nice little amp, powerful and light and sounds very tubey, though again, a bit of a one trick poney as the filters a quite limited, particularly if like me, you're used to EBS; would definitely consider having one though.

Genz Benz STM 900
My current amp, really like it - deep, powerful, authoritative tone that is still articulate and defined, in a lovely small, light box. I'm remarkably pleased with this and can't see myself changing any time soon, there's things I want to add to my backline (I'd like to swap my Sansamp BDDI for a Darkglass B7K and add a Midget T to complement my Compact), but the amp itself is a keeper.

I've also messed about with a Genz Shuttlemax 12 (complicated and a little sterile) a stereo Gallien Kruger of some variety (bit harsh sounding, a bit like an EBS, but not as good) a Peavey solid state head (workable, if un-inspiring but good value for money) and a Marshall head of some type (enormous, thick sound - liked it).

That's all I can remember and so for me, the best amp is an EBS Fafner - it does everything I want brilliantly and I'd love to have one again, though I am in no hurry to part with my Genz as I'm really enjoying that.

I'd also really like to try an Ampeg SVT-VR, an old Acoustic and some of the newer Mesa heads sometime.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='baseline9' timestamp='1359120952' post='1950162']
Cheers.Just having a think about TC, I think they deserve recognition for the Bass 2.0 concept and pushing bass amplification forwards. Their amps are designed around the bass player in mind and all of the features are really useful not to mention portability for the "Working Man" musician, PS I'm not on commission :)!
[/quote]

+1

I really hate having to faff with external gadgets so a built in tuner and compressor are essential features of any amp I would be prepared to use today.

[quote name='BandmasterPete' timestamp='1359728415' post='1959488']
My Aguilar TH350
[/quote]

Money no object, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197693-whats-the-best-amp-ever/#"]weight[/url] not an issue and size not an issue, and you reckon a Tonehammer 350?? I've never tried one, but maybe I should!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1359058026' post='1949291']
Yep.
[/quote]

I prefer the VR over the CL. I set them up side by side before I ended up buying the VR. Just a little more thump, warmth and tonal qualities. Both are great amps. If you need a master volume, you go with the CL. If not the VR.... and buy a Aguilar Tome Hammer:)

• 5 months later...

Trace Elliot "V" serie (V4, V6, V8) from the 1990-2000 years ... for a good BAAASSSS sound, fat but clear for rock, blues-rock, hard... Sure, you don't need that for funk or jazz (maybe Trace Elliot, but a GP12SMX transistors serie)
Chris - 25 yrs with Trace Elliot amps

Some of the contenders I've played/owned

Marshall VBA400 w 2 x 4x12's
Ampeg SVT Skunkworks-played one once for a 2 hour gig nd now it's what I compare evrything to in my head!
Ampeg SVT CL- still waiting to own one! If only I could stop buying basses!!!
Mesa MPulse 600 - my baby down here in NZ at the moment-love the EQ section and compressor! and sounds mean thru the Powerhouse 810!
Ampeg SVT4 PRO- sooo much power!!!
Ampeg Micro VR- serious piece of kit, especially with two cabs!
Mesa 400+: owned one for a very brief period-far to big and heavy for lil' old me but ALL THOSE TUBES!!!!
Fender Bassman (135 I think)- played one a couple of times at a rehearsal studio- beautiful. it was on top of an Aguilar cab too.

My VT Bass Deluxe - turns every crappy backline combo into a beast and leaves all the other bass players for dead-well, tone-wise anyways :) !!!

Don't like ampeg svt very much, so I'd go for a well looked after fender bassman 100, paired with a couple of modern and efficient cabs.
I'm sure some of the other more modern amps mentioned here are as good, but I've never played any enough to put them in mylist

Curiously I'm falling out of love with the RH450, and in love again with my 1979 peavey mark III, but it's too personal to be my vote for best amp ever.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1359065317' post='1949476']

yes, but I still want only one control knob on my amp. Dual concentric pot at a push...
[/quote]

I was about to suggest the MoMark with no EQ module but I see i was beaten to it.
I've owned and played through a lot of amps. For a long time my dream rig was the one I owned, Trace AH400smx into two 4x10's and a bright box.
I love my current rig a lot, so I reckon what I have now, only bigger and more of it!
So maybe four berg 4x10's. running in bi amped splitting low and high power with stereo tops (purely to be ostentatious) all running from a mark bass MoMark head cause it sounds ace :)
With some manhoosive speakers facing up cemented Into the floor where I stand. Yeeeeah

Edited by gafbass02