Why become a member? ×

What's the Best Amp Ever?

Sean

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1359109801' post='1949927']
Well, after 3 pages i still havent read a single reply that answers to the main question (c'mon, we all know that a SVT changes the tone, and a lot! add a 810 to it and it won't matker if you're using a sadowsky or a squier affinity!).
So here's my answer, for best amp with uncompromised tone i have to say definetly Walter Woods, perfect in any aspect. If i had the money i would own one but i have to settle for the closest i can find i that is the Thunderfunk, great clean tone!
[/quote]

Thing is, with transparent amps, you don't notice the amp, is kind of the point, so people go 'that bass sounds nice' instead. Or in most cases 'that bassist sounds dreadful' because transparent amps are pretty brutally revealing of playing flaws, hence popularity of Ampeg.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1359114948' post='1950051']
Thing is, with transparent amps, you don't notice the amp, is kind of the point, so people go 'that bass sounds nice' instead. Or in most cases 'that bassist sounds dreadful' because transparent amps are pretty brutally revealing of playing flaws, hence popularity of Ampeg.
[/quote]

You're absolutely right and some bassplayers do look for a change of tone in a amp (valve saturation) for an intended sound but the OP asked for uncompromised tone and i read that as keeping the best possible tone from the bass (fully transparent or not) and in that field Mr Woods is building the most amazing sounding amps (and they're pretty light too!).

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1359116067' post='1950084']
You're absolutely right and some bassplayers do look for a change of tone in a amp (valve saturation) for an intended sound but the OP asked for uncompromised tone and i read that as keeping the best possible tone from the bass (fully transparent or not) and in that field Mr Woods is building the most amazing sounding amps (and they're pretty light too!).
[/quote]

That's pretty much an ignore the amp situation then, anything called a 'bass amp' will be adding its own colour, so get the sound of the bass right first, through studio gear. Then get a studio type preamp, and a power amp, which leaves the speaker to be the biggest source of colour, transparent amplification isn't uncommon if you look in the right place (basically, not amps for instruments).

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1359116354' post='1950087']
That's pretty much an ignore the amp situation then, anything called a 'bass amp' will be adding its own colour, so get the sound of the bass right first, through studio gear. Then get a studio type preamp, and a power amp, which leaves the speaker to be the biggest source of colour, transparent amplification isn't uncommon if you look in the right place (basically, not amps for instruments).
[/quote]

But even the Walter Woods add some vibe to the bass sound, it's voiced to be very balanced and clean sounding in the entire freq spectrum. Any kind of amp will always add something to the sound, the bass player will choose the one that suits him/her better.

My personal taste goes for that type of clean sound so it can be able to reproduce the nouances in my playing (attack, right hand pluck position, dynamics, etc.) and leave all the tone shaping to those little boxes on the floor.

I know you are more fond of valve amps and i see nothing wrong with it and i still like to hear the sound of valves breaking in, it's just a mather of personal taste and choice for what suits us better on each band context.

In all fairness this thread should be split in two cathegories "Best Valve" and "Best Solid State" amp. (Lets not go in to Hybrid territory please :P)

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1359117536' post='1950103']
But even the Walter Woods add some vibe to the bass sound, it's voiced to be very balanced and clean sounding in the entire freq spectrum. Any kind of amp will always add something to the sound, the bass player will choose the one that suits him/her better.
[/quote]

If the amp has more of its own voice than a studio amplifier, then it isn't as transparent as a studio amplifier, thus inferior if transparency is the goal. The mere presence of eq knobs is intended to produce distortion of frequency response by choice. Not that my personal preferences have any relevance to those facts, but I like valve amps, but don't much care for the sound of valves 'breaking in', I like valve amps not distorting, hence my headroom modifications and suchlike, I'm more into the fact I can make such modifications, and the inherent compression and bandwidth limiting gives me very broad dynamic options without risking damage to my equipment, and if there is any damage, I can fix it.

Most basses and amps sound the same though, right? They make a loud bassy noise, low frequencies, tie down the bottom end, you sort of hear it in the background, with the drums, it all sounds pretty groovy, gets your toes tapping, and all the other fancy twirly stuff happens on top.

I would agree Amepeg SVT CL is up there, the V4B as well and the drop heads, old skool!
I think Ampeg could be the daddy as well (From a mass production perspecctive) a quick wikki says they were founded in 1949, although there maybe someone who can beat that!.

Fender bassman should get a shout, they have been making bass amps since the 50s. I played through a 4x10 100watt all valve combo once, not sure of age but it looked blummin old, sounded amazing, got very hot though!!

I used to have a Trace Elliot VA400 all valve head (I think it's in Poland now!) That sounded amazing but the head was heavier than the 4x10 cab!!!! It had 6 kt88 valves for the power stage, it was monstrous, evil and ripped your head off, I think the design was based around a SVT CL.

TC Elec RH750 ;) but then I would say that as I have one!

Cheers.Just having a think about TC, I think they deserve recognition for the Bass 2.0 concept and pushing bass amplification forwards. Their amps are designed around the bass player in mind and all of the features are really useful not to mention portability for the "Working Man" musician, PS I'm not on commission :)!

Edited by baseline9

For me, Aguilar DB750!

After having tried many, many amps, the DB750 does it for me, not overly heavy and plenty of power and weight to each note. Had one, sold it and soon bought another one as nothing came close to the Aguilar.

Ampeg SVT Classic is really nice too I have to say.

I haven't tried anywhere near enough different amps to comment usefully on this! :(

The best amp that I have played through was my old Ampeg SVT200-T. Yes it's a tranny amp. In fact, I have never played through an all-valve bass amp! :o

I have a lot to learn about amps, but at the same time I've never really been disappointed by any amp - including my first one, a Carlsbro Stingray! :blink:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1359124578' post='1950242']
I would argue that some like the Kemper amps would probably have to "technically" the best amps out there. Purely because they can sound like any amp you want them too :lol:
[/quote]
iv got one of these, Amazing piece of kit, for bass as well as guitars.
i just wish i still had access to a mesa bass 400+ so i could make some awesome valvey profiles
there isnt anyone close by who fancies bringing a decent valve amp round for a play is there?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359128916' post='1950356']
I have a lot to learn about amps, but at the same time I've never really been disappointed by any amp - including my first one, a Carlsbro Stingray! :blink:
[/quote]

There's one of these in rehearsal place I use (one of the proper old ones with the front port, comes up to your chest nearly) It sounds great. really farty and overdriven without any valves.
Not for everyone maybe...

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1359129566' post='1950380']
iv got one of these, Amazing piece of kit, for bass as well as guitars.
i just wish i still had access to a mesa bass 400+ so i could make some awesome valvey profiles
there isnt anyone close by who fancies bringing a decent valve amp round for a play is there?
[/quote]

I'd love to give one of these a try at some point. I think they have a library you can download from now so may be worth checking on there?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1359133768' post='1950525']
I'd love to give one of these a try at some point. I think they have a library you can download from now so may be worth checking on there?
[/quote]
the online library is great for guitar profiles, not so much choice for bass though, and whats there isnt that great, the profiling process itself takes a bit of getting used to if you want great results although its captured my tc rh750 and barefaced s12t very nicely indeed. witha decent community of bass players onboard it could be the ultimate tone tool.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1359061284' post='1949379']
This wasn't the point of the thread. My SEAT Altea suits me the best out of dozens of cars but it's not the greatest car ever. Come on, dream a little :-)
[/quote]

I guess not, in that case it's a P Bass through an Acoustic 220 head into a 404 and 402 cab. Or possibly something else made by Acoustic! To be fair, it's probably a one trick pony, but what a trick!