Why become a member? ×

What's the Best Amp Ever?

Sean

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1359065317' post='1949476']
yes, but I still want only one control knob on my amp. Dual concentric pot at a push...
[/quote]

Markbass MoMark? They have an "EQ" module with no knobs on at all, so you can have just a Gain and a Master on your amp if you want! Or you could have the VPF/VLE filters only for all the flexibility most bass players will ever need :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1359066281' post='1949509']
Or you could have the VPF/VLE filters only for all the flexibility most bass players will ever need :)
[/quote]

Yes. I have in the past used the Markbass Super Booster (Clean boost, VLE, VPF) as a pre-amp, worked great.
I'm now using a Zoom B3 as a preamp.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359066397' post='1949513']
Yes. I have in the past used the Markbass Super Booster (Clean boost, VLE, VPF) as a pre-amp, worked great.
I'm now using a Zoom B3 as a preamp.
[/quote]

This is turning into a "The best amp is no amp" thread :lol:

What are you using on the B3 then now dude? The Markbass amp sim?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359066740' post='1949518']
Heh. :) M-Comp > BassDrive > Markbass. How did you know? ;)
[/quote]

Psychic ;)

Awesome! I've used similar settings on my B3 (but without the Markbass sim!) on a gig once where I had no amp - just the DI on the Zoom. I feel a bit like a traitor saying this but it was the best sound I ever had!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1359066903' post='1949525']
I feel a bit like a traitor saying this but it was the best sound I ever had!
[/quote]

I like the grit from the BassDriver, but I roll off the bottom end and replace it with the bottom end from the Markbass sim for more definition. So you get the best of both worlds - as much crunch as you want but with nice clear heft. The M-Comp is quite transparent, but I have quite a bit of squash on it which gets nice sustain from the Bassdriver.

I like a big firm bottom, me. And so on and so forth, oo-er, fnarr fnarr, etc.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359067231' post='1949535']
I like the grit from the BassDriver, but I roll off the bottom end and replace it with the bottom end from the Markbass sim for more definition. So you get the best of both worlds - as much crunch as you want but with nice clear heft. The M-Comp is quite transparent, but I have quite a bit of squash on it which gets nice sustain from the Bassdriver.

I like a big firm bottom, me. And so on and so forth, oo-er, fnarr fnarr, etc.
[/quote]

Don't we all ;)

That's a really good idea, I never thought of trying that! I've got a feeling I'm going to be turning up to the venue early tomorrow night for some knob twiddling :D

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1359067400' post='1949543']
I'm going to be turning up to the venue early tomorrow night for some knob twiddling :D
[/quote]

Er, I can't possibly comment on that... I'll PM you my settings if you like. And now back on topic... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1359067605' post='1949548']

I guess that would make the best bass a Fender P *hides*
[/quote]

Interestingly every bass sounds good through a B15 and a vintage Fender P sounds pretty good through almost any amp.

Does this make a vintage Fender P through a B15 the best combination ever?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1359068366' post='1949563']
Interestingly every bass sounds good through a B15 and a vintage Fender P sounds pretty good through almost any amp.

Does this make a vintage Fender P through a B15 the best combination ever?
[/quote]

Probably!! Though i bet if we opened a poll asking how many members would use this setup the majority would say no :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1359068704' post='1949567']

Probably!! Though i bet if we opened a poll asking how many members would use this setup the majority would say no :lol:
[/quote]

Be interesting to open up the poll to studio engineers and producers though. . .

Funnily enough I haven't had a studio owner, and senior producer, buy a set of La Bella flat wounds from me to go on his studio P Bass because 'nothing sounds better than that' for at least 10 hours (true story!).

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1359057743' post='1949278']
Money no object.
Uncompromised tone is everything.
Weight is not an issue.
Size is not an issue.
Cab size/weight not an issue.
Price of spares not an issue.
Maintenance not an issue.

Now that I've hacked out a lot of subjectivity...

What is the best bass amp ever made?
[/quote]

SVT CL + Peavey 8x10

Probably an old SVT2 (before they branded them "pro").

I played thru a SVT classic, which was great and I love my Mesa mpulse, which is as good as anything I've used!

Best cab I've ever heard is a Bergantino NV610....

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1359057743' post='1949278']
Money no object.
[color=#FF0000][b]Uncompromised tone is everything.[/b][/color]
Weight is not an issue.
Size is not an issue.
Cab size/weight not an issue.
Price of spares not an issue.
Maintenance not an issue.

Now that I've hacked out a lot of subjectivity...

What is the best bass amp ever made?
[/quote]

Well, after 3 pages i still havent read a single reply that answers to the main question (c'mon, we all know that a SVT changes the tone, and a lot! add a 810 to it and it won't matker if you're using a sadowsky or a squier affinity!).
So here's my answer, for best amp with uncompromised tone i have to say definetly Walter Woods, perfect in any aspect. If i had the money i would own one but i have to settle for the closest i can find i that is the Thunderfunk, great clean tone!

Best amp ever?

Who knows!

There are some pretty good PA power amps around like Powersoft and Electrovoice. There's also powered cabs like Bergantino and Meyer that, for quality of tone, beat most bass amps hands down.

I've played early Hiwatt's and Marshall's and they were great, but everything was eclipsed by the SVT when it came out.

These days I'd put my Thunderfunk equal first with the SVT.

Edited by chris_b

The thing is, when you look at the mainstream amps out there dedicated to bass, they are small fry compared to the electronics found in top studios. Most of these amps are built to satisfy profit margins, not the best uncomprismed sounds.

Even that asise, trouble is, nobody ever seems to want transparent... if they did, Neve, SSL et al wouldn't exist.

B15 certainly has to be up there... for looks alone, let alone it's tone shaping abilities.